Thread: Hunter shot himself in SBNF near Pioneertown

Thanks

Article in today's San Bernardino Sun paper said a hunter from Fawnskin shot himself with a shotgun in the SBNF near Pioneertown. It appeared to be a quail hunter maybe. The article isn't online so I'm going by memory which isn't good. They said he stumbled and shot himself and his buddies went for help. THe help arrived but had to hike in a good distance and it was too late. They named the canyon but I can't recall it. Actually, the canyons that lead to the west of Pioneertown are BLM land. Only if you go way west there do you hit SBNF.

They named the guy but I can't recall his name.

Just a good idea to learn CPR and basic wilderness first aid. Help is sometimes hours away and you can bleed out in that time real easy.

Many places you can take a free class to learn CPR and first aid. At least learn how to stop bleeding and how to open the airway. the ABC idea. Airway, Breathing, Circulation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

Advertise on JHO / Facebook - JHO / Home, Main Page / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

THAT IS SAD TO HEAR. MY PRAYERS FOR HIS FAMILY. FIRST AID IS VERY IMPORTANT SOMETIMES YOU MAY BE HOURS AWAY FOR A NEARBY HOSPITAL.
    Guajiro Cubano A.K.A. "Cuban-American Redneck Extraordinaire "

Thanks

Jesse please check you email!!!

Thanks

This is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do here. I just talked to Gregg (bloodsports) who was with Jamie (22ounce on the forum here) when he died in a shooting accident this past Wednesday Oct 26, 2005. Gregg is still pretty upset and he wanted me to post this to let everyone know the truth what happened.

Gregg said 3 of them were chukar hunting on the north side of the San Bernadino National Forest. The San Bernardino Sun paper said the accident was over near Pioneertown but that was mistake.

They flushed a covey of chukars and Gregg went high, Jamie went middle and another friend stayed low.

After a time Jamie radioed Gregg he needed help. Gregg thought Jamie was kidding about needing help off the steep hill when Jamie radioed back no, he needed help bad because he had accidently shot himself on the steep slope.

Gregg found Jamie while the other friend went for help. Gregg said he held Jamie while they waited for help and Jamie died in his arms.

They had been friends since kindergarten.

Gregg said there was no bleeding, he put a shirt over the small hole in Jamie's stomach to keep it clean but there was nothing he could do but try and comfort his friend.

Gregg wanted to also thank the rescue folks, the sheriff and helo crew who responded. He said they were very professional and comforted them in their time of pain. He said the homicide and coroner were also comforting in that they pointed out there was nothing they could have done to save Jamie in the field.

Jamie was 30.

Gregg also mentioned the importance of having communication with them while hunting. It allowed him to at least know Jamie was hurt and to help guide in the medics and sheriff.

My condolances to Gregg and all his hunting pals and the family. I'm just too stunned to say anything more right now.

Advertise on JHO / Facebook - JHO / Home, Main Page / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    This is one of the hardest things I&#39;ve ever had to do here.[/b]
    Thanks Jesse, for going to the trouble to search out what happened and posting your nice condolance. You are very standup guy...
    Very sad story and hopefully it will be the last of the season.
    Stop Global Whining...

Thanks

People&#39;s lives can change in an instant, and this story I&#39;ll never forget. Always good to have friends with you when out in the woods!

QuailMan5 is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

I&#39;m stunned ... sorry for your loss Gregg ... I can&#39;t imagine how difficult this must be ... I&#39;m sure Jaime was glad to have you at his side
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." (Jose Ortega y Gasset)

Thanks

I read about the accident in the local paper here in the High Desert (The Daily Press) I was hoping it wasnt anyone from this site. I&#39;m very sorry to the family and friends of Jaime/22ounce my prayers are with you all. 30 years old, way to young. We all should keep this story in our minds while hunting. Accidents happen, be extra carefull. Hunt with your safetys on, know what your pointing at before pulling the trigger, know hows around you, and where they&#39;re located at. (Radios are helpful). You may miss a few birds hunting this way, but try to remember safety first.

Larry Lowell
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting !!!
    " ...HOLY SHIT....WHAT A RIDE...!!!!!! " ..........-George Carlin-

Thanks

To the family and friends of 22ounce,

My condolences. Remember that you are not alone.. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time.

With heartfelt sympathy,
    Horsecranium

Thanks

Very Sad indeed. Prayers and condolances to Jamie&#39;s friends and family.
    "through yesterday comes tomorrow, when life comes alive the past moves aside no regrets and no remorse."
    Chris Cornell

Thanks

wow very sad story to here to Jamies family, Gregg and all involved our prayes go out to all of you

to everone else be carefull out there, a few birds aren&#39;t worth getting hurt
    There is plenty of room for all God's creatures, right next to mashed potatoes

DesertRat is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung
    Thanks

That&#39;s a sad story. I am very sorry for him and his family. Very difficult to hear --makes you wonder about the dangers of this sport. I think all in all it&#39;s very safe if you follow basic safety steps, but chasing chukar is IMO inherently dangerous just due to the terrain. Add a shotgun to the mix and you need to be extra careful.

Be safe, guys....

GreekDrake is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Guys, my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the diseased . It is trully a sad story and one that most of us hope will never encounter in our hunting times. I have a similar story which brings back some painfull memories. I would not mention it for no other reason than to make the unfortunate incident that happened to our friends be a leason to the rest of us on how deadly this sport that we so much live and dedicate a better part of our lives is: December 1997, Russian boar hunting Nothern Greece. Hunting party fo 10, good seasoned hunters with the exception of some of the younger folks (2-3) myself included. At approximately 6:00am a group of 5 folks made their way to designated high points. We had found a canyon were a large group of boars was suspected to be bedded and we decided to make a drive. The younger guys we push while the older folks would wait for a shot oppurtunity. About 6:45am we got the call on the Radio to start pushing. We spreaded out about 100 meters from each other and begun the 2 mile hike making as much noice as we could. approximately 7:15 am a shot is heard @ the first point closest to us. One of the guys shot at a large male boar (note that only 12GA shotguns and buckshot/slugs are allowed for big game hunting in Greece.) and wounded the animal. The animal broke off from the rest of the heard which managed to slip by between two other points unharmed. The wounded male boar headed straight for point number 4 the point located just before the last point in the sequence. When our good friend Sakis (located in point 5 the last point) found out that there was a boar headed toward point 4, without notifying anybody in the Radio, left point 5 and started heading toward point 4. The gentelman on point 4 had no idea that he was on the move and in fact headed straight for him. Now the country we were hunting is thick Oakbrush with limited visibility other than the few places we had people strategically located on points. It is now 8:15 or so and after 1 shot is heard the voice of an obviously shaken man (from point 4) comes on line frantic/desperate/ "man down". Here is what happened: Sakis from point 5 was making his way toward point 4 up a thick ravine. Without realizing he got within 35 yards from hunter at point 4. His was wearing a black top and a black bottom and moving fast to intercept the wounded boar. Guy at point 4 saw flashes of "something moving fast and making noice" at 35 yards and without visual confirmation lead a foot and shot. The buckshot he was using contained a total of 9 BB&#39;s. One hit Sakis in the thigh, another in the shoulder and the fatal one in the neck. I could go into the number of things that were done in the wrong way here but I believe they are clear to all of us. A man died, a widow is left behind with 2 children are going to be without a father and a mentor for the rest of their lives. The point: Be carefull! Dotn let the excitment of the hunt get the best of you. Keep that finger of the trigger until you are 100% sure. Muzzle awareness: Is that weapon pointing @ somebody? Is that weapon pointing @ me? Folks, there is no such thing as an empty weapon. Why all this rant? I believe the only way to honor our friends is by promising that we will do our best, and one better to be carefull out there. Lets not loose anymore friends!

God Bless all.
    *GR_*EEK_DR*KE

Thanks

GreekDrake, I&#39;m sorry for the loss of you friend. One other thing we can do for safety is to not wear the colors of our game.

Hogs would be black or tan, deer would be white or brown, turkeys would be blue, red and black. It&#39;s tough sometimes not to wear our favorite coat or pants but it could save your life. I&#39;ve heard and read so many stories about a hunter seeing movement in thick brush and because it was the "Right" color for what they were hunting they shot what they thought was the game. Guys whipping out a white handkercheif and another guy thinks it&#39;s a deer&#39;s tail flicking etc.

I once watched what I thought was a turkey&#39;s head while he was walking down a trail. It turned out the blue swaying head was a blue glove a hunter had on who walking the trail. The glove was the perfect level for a turkeys head and his arm moved just like a turkey&#39;s head would while walking. I later met the guy and he was new to turkey hunting and I explained why that blue color was dangerous to wear in the turkey woods. It had me fooled for about 40 yards until I could see his body outline better in the forest.

Be as safe as you can be out there.

Thanks

For his family.
    Enjoy your kids while you still can. They grow way too fast.

Thanks

It&#39;s always hard when we lose another fellow JHO&#39;er whether from natural causes or otherwise. It&#39;s reallyhard when it comes down to a hunting accident. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. I was just made aware that my Supervisor was good friends with his mother and I have quite a few co-workers that grew up with Jamie. They were all in shock to hear what happened and their prayers go out to family and friends. Gregg, I can&#39;t imagine how hard this time must be for you, but at least Jamie was at ease with you by his side in the final moments.
    Mark H.

Thanks

MY FAMILY WOULD LIKE TO OFFER OUR PRAYERS TO THE FAMILY IN THIS TIME OF LOSS I KNOW FROM A TIME BACK WHEN I HAD A BUDDIES BROTHER DIE IN MY ARMS IN HESPERIA ALL DUE TO THE FACT HE WAS IN A RUSH TO BEAT THE HEAT AND PUT HIS WEAPON AWAY BEFORE UNLOADIND IT, IT WENT OFF AND HIT ME IN THE LEG AND HIS BROTHER IN THE NECK AND WAS FATAL. IT HAS TAKEN ME MANY YEARS TO HUNT AGAIN AND NOW MY SON AND I MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO BE SAFE AS THIS STILL HAUNTS ME TODAY. LIFE MUST GO ON AND LIFE IS SO PRECIOUS. MY PRAYERS AGAIN TO THE FAMILY AND MY PRAYERS TO ALL OF YOU SAFE HUNTING AND GOD BLESS !!!
    HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM !!!

NRA
    SCVQU MEMBER
    DU VENTURA COUNTY CHAPTER
    DFG GAME BIRD HERITAGE PROGRAM VOLUNTEER
    SAN JACINTO JR DUCK HUNT VOLUNTEER
    SNAKE BREAK VOLUNTEER -GITR DONE, FOR DOGS SAKE!! AND YOURS!!

Thanks

Darius has been kind enough to order up something from those of us here for Jamie&#39;s funeral. If you would like to chip in here is the thread in the campfire.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index....showtopic=96676

Thanks

SanBerdoo23

TDBob

BDB

Goslayr

ShootingStar

El Cazador

John Bishop ( JHO handle ? )

Total as of now $170 ........cost was $331

This is the current list of contributers that have donated for Jaime&#39;s funeral, Thanx guys for supporting. The funeral wa today at noon & the plant was at the service.

Darius

Taxidermy is an ART form, & should be created for all to appreciate.

Thanks

I was thinking of Jamie today.....

Although I never met or knew him, today I thought of him.

I was Chukar hunting today and busted a good covey in some real steep and rocky "chukar" country. I killed 2 on the rise and the chase began. 1 1/2 hrs later i was chasing singles in some steep rocky crap hole, and saw a flash of a bird run behind some rocks.

The footing was terrible. I was beat from running my ass raggad chasing them but was a bird short of the magical chukar limit. I began running over the rocks and began to stumble. I thought of this man I never met, and said to myself " slow down, remember what happened to that guy you read about" The bird flushed wild and I never got a shot. 30 minutes later I killed my my last bird.

It was a wierd feeling....

Thanks

Yup, safety first. I have been almost shot with a .22 semi-automatic rifle way back in 1973 by a classmate while rabbit hunting in Quartz Hill, Palmdale, Calif. before they built the Fwy. 14 and before there were any houses at all. A jackrabbit ran a circle around us and the classmate just kept firing with his 17 shot Marlin rifle with his rifle pumping bullets while following the rabbit circling around us. It was a miracle that myself and the 3rd man in our hunting party were not hit by any of those bullet spray. When I asked him why he was shooting even with such obvious danger, he replied that he was shooting at the ground. However the angle was very shallow with the bullets ricocheting off the desert floor. Whew!!! I thank the Good Lord I am still alive today. Another time back in 1988, while hunting chukar, I lost track of my partner while aiming at a low flying chukar to my left. At the shot, I was horrified because my partner was directly in line with the pellet spray. Luckily for us, he was about 200 yds. distant and there was no harm at all. Wingshooting is extremely dangerous. I can truly appreciate the hog guides insisting no bullets are chambered until the hunter is in position to shoot and only at the go signal of the guide. &#39;Nuff said.

Thanks

DariusTaxidermy.com
    SanBerdoo23
    TDBob
    BDB
    Goslayr
    ShootingStar
    El Cazador
    John Bishop ( JHO handle ? )
    Spectr17 - Jesse
    Nathan Harding ( JHO handle ? )
    Charles Del Valle ( JHO handle ? )
    Dave in LB
    Foulshot

Total as of now $290............... cost was $331

This is the current list of contributers that have donated for Jaime&#39;s funeral, Thanx guys for supporting. The funeral wa today at noon & the plant was at the service.

Darius

Thanks

DariusTaxidermy.com
    SanBerdoo23
    TDBob
    BDB
    Goslayr
    ShootingStar
    El Cazador
    Bishop
    Spectr17 - Jesse
    Nathan Harding ( JHO handle ? )
    Charles Del Valle ( JHO handle ? )
    Dave in LB
    Foulshot
    Kid Creole
    Blazintowers

Thanx for all that contributed, & all prayers............... what a great group of people

Enough donations have been made to cover the cost of the plant that represented the JHO family at the funeral service.

Thanx

Darius
    Monday 11-7-05

Shootingstar is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Is there any more info on how the accident happened? I ask in hopes we can all learn or be reminded of something.

Thanks

Cool

I now have learned of this tragic accident! Another JHO&#39;er had mentioned it after talking about a near fatla accident on Red Mt. opening weekend of chukar!
    My deepest condolences to everyone concerned!
    I could not ever phathom the severity of such a situation, I planted a pellet in a very good friend, I was sick for days afterward and will never forget it!
    I&#39;ve been peppered multiple times in my hunting life(35+yrs), and fortunately, never experienced any critical injuries or more!
    This tragedy is something that could make one put up their guns for good, which I believe 22Ounce would never want, so for those that are close to him, keep that in mind, and when the pain of your loss has lessened, go out and hunt up a bird or two in his name!
    God Bless his family and friends!
    Keep your eyes peeled for cock(birds)
    Keep your shots above your shoulders!

Thanks

In remembrance of Jamie, let's have a safe hunting season this year!

Thanks

2nd that thought!

Thanks

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Jamie.

R.I.P. Jamie