Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monster Muley taken.......

Trinity River is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Well guys,yesterday i received a call from a bud of mine,telling me to get over to his place pronto.He sounded excited,and he dosent show emotion too often.He wouldnt give me any info on the phone,so i knew he had done good,a deer hunter from way back aint much gets him excited.As i pulled thru the gate and down his drive i pulled up to the garage and on the tailgate of his truck sat the prize.A beautiful muley buck taken by him and his son.As i walked closer the first thing i noticed was the width,i kinda chuckled to myself and asked him for a yardstick i knew it was over 30" no doubt about that.Would you believe 35 1/4" Well,im here to tell ya its so.Great mass,5 x 5 with 1 1/2" eyeguards.so a true 6 x 6. I took a few pics with my digital camera,and now have to figure out how to get them posted.This is a California buck fellas,and by his age,he has spread his genes around a bit Thought i would pass this story on.

Thanks

Wow, that sounds like a heckuva buck~! I can post the pics if you email me or one of the mods will too.
    "I'd rather have my picture taken with a herbivore than a hollywood star"

Thanks

Holy smokes....Sounds like an awesome buck.....Please show us the pics, and how about the story behind it? Can you at least give us the zone it was killed in? Thanks for any info.....
    see ya in the brush

Thanks

Waiting with baited keyboard for the pics...

Backcountry
    - NRA Life Member / California Rifle & Pistol Association Member, and I VOTE!
    - California Bowmen Hunters Member & Certified CBH/SAA Measurer
    - NSDQ
    - Chick Guides Rock!

East cost to West Coast and back to East (Woburn, MA now)
    Thanks

If you need help posting the pics let me know, you can e-mail the pic to me and I'll post it if you have any troubles. Sounds like one hell of a buck, I can't wait to see it.
    steve_brown@hotmail.com

Thanks

hey, hurry up with those pics and the full details. Youre killing us!

Congrats to your buddy

Thanks

Since my photo program sucks,i will get his son to email me a pic to pass on to one of you to post.Hang in there fellas...

Thanks

Send it along and I'll post it up for ya. Once I quit drooling on my keyboard that is..........

Thanks

35 inches and change, all i gotta say is DAMN. i hope some of his sons get that big and keep that bloodline going
    good job cant wait to see the pictures
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power

Not only is life a bitch, but it is always having puppies

The difference between sex and death is that with death you can do it alone and no one is going to make fun of you."
    Lonnie Terrell

Thanks

Allright... i've been waiting way to long. Like two hours now. Where is the picture.
    Oh... Congradulations to your buddy for the big kill.
    May the light shine upon you & the fog lie beneath your feet

Thanks

Wait a minute! There are no pictures. Hurry up with those pics. My lunch hour is almost up!
    Surgeon General Warning: Doing anything, anytime or anywhere can be hazardous to your health.

Thanks

I just got a phone call 5 minutes ago and I heard about this buck got on here and somebody has already posted about it. I know where it is taken and everything but I dont think the guy wants the word to get out so I'm not talking.

I may have the pictures by this evening. Hopefully somebody else has them real soon and can post them.

Got another phone call while I'm writing this and my friend saw it this morning. He said hes betting biggest buck killed this year in CA and the biggest buck killed for a long time in this area.

Its a monster!

Thanks

Oh the humanity You guys are killing us.

Thanks

I will be checking later tonight, but the wait is killing me. Lets hear the story and see the pic's

Thanks

C'mon already!!! I………need………to………see………pics,………can't………hold………out…… …much…………long………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………

Oh yeah, congratulations to your buddy.
    Can't wait to hear the story!!!
    WinMag1

Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - NAHC

"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - only equality of opportunity." - Irving Kristol

Nec hostium timete, nec amicum reusate -- Fear no enemy, deny no friend.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Thanks

Yeah,its safe to say he doesnt want the hunt location or his name released yet,if ever.Cant say as i blame him.... Im trying to reach his boy to email me the pics,but no answer yet.Sorry gents,it will be worth the wait.

Thanks

I can understand him wanting to keep things a little quiet. Do we at least get a little tease with what zone it came from

deerhuntr44 is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung
    Thanks

What a jip. Come on you got to at least say the zone. Its probably a draw zone anyways. I'm guessing x-5b

Thanks

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that whoever shot this buck is running around try to get the pictures back from all his buddies... word travels fast, and a symetrical 35" 5x5 buck is gonna make Boone & Crocket, easy. Somebody from one of the magazines may have already offered him a bit of money for publication rights to the story... if so, the story and photos will be embargoed until publication, which is probably several months away. If this is the case, nothing wrong with that in my book ('cept I want to see the pictures NOW).

FYI, the biggest typical mule deer in CBH's book is 182 3/8th, 23 7/8th wide , 5x5... the second biggest is 179 1/8th, 27 2/8th wide ,and 5x6. The B&C world record typical muley deer scored 226 4/8th with an inside spread of just 30 7/8th.

35+ inches wide and 5x5... do the math guys... I'll jump in and guess 210" after deductions, just to make things interesting. In the unlikely event that this buck bumps up towards the B&C record, the rack is going to be worth upwards of several new King Ranch Edition F350s... we're talking $150,000+.

Trinity River, before you go posting pictures, you might want to make very sure you clear it with the fellow that shot this buck, because if it's as big as you say, there's some other things to think about here.

Frankly, I was suspect that deer this big still lived in California. I'm gonna guess one of the X-zones and that this deer was taken near the NV border.

So, where are them pictures?

Backcountry
    - NSDQ
    - Chick Guides Rock!

Thanks

Look at the line of names waiting online at the bottom of this thread LOL. I can't wait to see the pics either.
    “If we quit when we’re in the valley, we’ll never experience the view from the mountain top.”

Thanks

Hey, I just went back and re-read the original post... Trinity River, are we talking 35" inside width or outside width... it makes a pretty big difference when trying to guestimate this rack's score with no pictures. Also, can you comment on the symetry of the main frame rack? What's up with the extra point per side... where do they originate from? They won't score anyway if it's submitted in the typical catagory... just curious.

Argh... gotta have pictures (but every minute that passes I'm thinking I'll be looking at this buck next year in Eastmans' or Muley Madness).

Congrats again to your buddy and his son! Backcountry
    - NSDQ
    - Chick Guides Rock!

Thanks

The 35 1/4" was an outside measurement.The main frame is fairly symetrical,but the fronts looked to me to be a bit weak.The backs were strong though.Im no expert scorer though.Any way you slice it ,its one hell of an animal.I will advise him about the pics.Thanks. By the way,Backcountry,we are not familiar with the CBH book,is it a Ca. only scoring book? Thanks,Mark.

Thanks

Originally posted by Trinity River@Sep 20 2004, 04:58 PM
    I will advise him about the pics.
    Doh! I just became the most unpopular guy on JHO for a while.

Maybe you can draw out a stick figure representation or something before I get tarred & feathered?

Sorry guys... but I thought it fair to point out that this buck might be worth his son's college education, or a down payment on a house, or one hell of a kegger for JHO. This is a touchy subject that some guys get all upset about, but it so rarely comes up to warrant those feelings... So what if Cabelas buys it... it would still go down in the record books as shot by so-and-so.

Mmmm... kegger... Backcountry
    - NSDQ
    - Chick Guides Rock!

Thanks

Oops... missed your question about the CBH book... yes, it is California only. Moreover, it is archery only. It is one of the finest compilations of state archery records that any state's bowhunting organization can produce. The are sold by California Bowmen Hunters for $35 and make nice coffee table conversation pieces. New updated versions come out every four years... lots of pictures, stories, the history of CBH, how-to-score sheets for all big game species, and all the records... contact CBH or JHO's very own BOWUNTR (Ed F.) to get your copy today.

I don't know if there is an equivalent record book for rifle hunting in California.

Backcountry
    - NSDQ
    - Chick Guides Rock!

Thanks

THANKS backcountry, i know it has to kept hushhush for the money money reasons and the publications. but telling all us this with no pictures still. its hard to take. WE WANT PICS WE WANT PICS
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power

Not only is life a bitch, but it is always having puppies

The difference between sex and death is that with death you can do it alone and no one is going to make fun of you."
    Lonnie Terrell

Thanks

Thank's Backcountry, I thought CBH was California Boone and Hockett !
    I know you can't eat the horns but the meat on the wall looks terrible and after a while it begins to smell.

12/7/06: The Greatest Generation did nothing less than save the world ! God Bless them.

Thanks

The LOL's lined up better in the preview.
    I know you can't eat the horns but the meat on the wall looks terrible and after a while it begins to smell.

12/7/06: The Greatest Generation did nothing less than save the world ! God Bless them.

Thanks

Without further ado, here's the pic..........................

Low blow ref, low blow.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

Advertise on JHO / Facebook - JHO / Home, Main Page / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

bucknut is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake
    Thanks

Oh yea, that'll make book.

Thanks

Holy Kerist Jesse,'bout gave me a heart attack.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast