Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Bear?

Thanks

Hi all. My name is Scott. I've hunted bear on and off for many years, but my dad is the only one that has killed any in the family thus far, 2 in total. I hunt bear using my .300 Winchestor Short Mag or Smith and Wesson's awesome .460. My dream hunt is to hunt behind a pack of yelpin hounds through any beautiful countryside.
    "If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life." - Henry David Thoreau

Rooselk is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal
    Thanks

I live in Washington State and hunt bear primarily in the North Cascades. Baiting and the use of hounds are illegal in Washington but we are allowed two bear per year. Although I am a bowhunter, for bear I use either a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 30/06 with a Leupold 2.5 x 8 scope or a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45/70 using XS Ghost Ring sights and Garrett ammo.
    Lifetime Associate Boone & Crockett Club

Thanks

I live in the Sacramento area and hunt bear in the Yolla Bolly Wilderness. Lots of bear. So many that I have only had one hunting partner go home without a bear. And will normally only hunt three days. The one guy who went home without a bear missed a 400lb class bear a 31yds with his bow. Oh well I did my job puttin him on the bear.
    MIKE

"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

"The true Hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Saxton Pope

slickhntr is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

took one lat season in angeles Nat forest. 1st time. with a win 32 spl. Would love to hunt brown bear in Alaska.

Thanks

New guy to these forums, and to bear hunting. I live in Stockton, CA and hunt mostly pigs from Cache Creek to Monterey. I've bought a bear tag to carry with me in season every year for the past several, but didn't really go looking for bear. That will change this year. Thinking about Mendocino forest area. Probably carrying my Browning High Wall in 45-70.

Tom

Thanks

Trautert, welcome to the Bear Forum and JHO my freind. there are some great members from all over the world who share their bear hunting adventures here on JHO. this will be my second season hunting Black Bear with a bow in the SNF and hope to be successful this year, will see, its still very exciteing big game animal to hunt no matter what, and I cant wait, 8 more weeks to go and I have already started prepareing.
    so good luck on your bear hunt this season!................tra

P.S. do you shoot a bow?
    Official Staff Shooter For ( DCA ) DEER CROSSING ARCHERY >-------->
    Lee County Archers Member Ft. Myers Florida
    Florida Archery Association / NFAA Member 10 yrs.
    Former Member of California Bowmen Hunters 8 yrs.
    Shooting Stick N String for 20+ yrs.
    Predator Archery
    JHO King of Selfies
    JHO Godfather of Tapatalk
    Fled The Greedy State Ca.
    Florida Hog Hunting, No Lic.! No Tags! Don't be Jealous!> BTW There's No Pigs in TEJON..lol

Thanks

Hi!!! I'm from Fairbanks, Alaska and am just getting into Blackies. Recent surgery on my shoulder has converted me from a bowhunter to a crossbowhunter and I'm looking forward to chasin' some bruins this year.
    American Crossbow Federation
    Safari Club-AK Chapter
    Excalibur Phoenix

Thanks

also welcome to JHO XBowHunter, I cant wait to here more about your crossbow bear hunting season in Fairbanks, Alaska my friend, I hope you are successful! my dream hunt is the Alaskan Brown Bear with a bow someday, talk to you soon.......................tra
    Official Staff Shooter For ( DCA ) DEER CROSSING ARCHERY >-------->
    Lee County Archers Member Ft. Myers Florida
    Florida Archery Association / NFAA Member 10 yrs.
    Former Member of California Bowmen Hunters 8 yrs.
    Shooting Stick N String for 20+ yrs.
    Predator Archery
    JHO King of Selfies
    JHO Godfather of Tapatalk
    Fled The Greedy State Ca.
    Florida Hog Hunting, No Lic.! No Tags! Don't be Jealous!> BTW There's No Pigs in TEJON..lol

Thanks

XBOWHUNTER--Welcome-- I lived in GoldStream Valley outside of Fai 74-98--back each year to fish in SE and Fai for the Tired iron Classic in March.
    Went to MB a week ago but no bear-- Had a couple come in but one was small and other rubbed badly--Last week 10 guys took 9 nice bears-- who can figure--going back in fall for waterfowl and will hunt bears a while in evening.

Thanks

I reside in Southern California (Ontario area), and pretty much chase bears around the San Bernardino NF and sometimes into the Angeles NF. I have also frequented the Los Padres NF.
    Exclusive to one of the bows listed in signature!
    Ross-Elite Hybrid 74#,Mathews MR7 70#
    Owner Wicked1Strings

jrstem is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal
    Thanks

Hi my name is Ryan and this will be my first year hunting coastal black bear here in Oregon. i have been scouting 3 locations for 11 months now, all have a ton of sign and a huge berry population. Its all i can think about latley, the season starts Aug.1st. I will be hunting with my Remington 700 30-06 and 180gr. rem. core lokts. I am extremely exited for my first bear hunt! Wish me luck...

Thanks

Hello all, I am Frank from Kansas as you will note there aren't any bear in Kansas so I go elsewhere. Two years ago I go a nice blackie in Manitoba and haven't hunted since. Got two discs repaired in neck so had to take some time off. Not this year but next I hope to go back and try for a bigger one.

I am now retired having spent 38yrs at same company and now I can't even ever think of working again.

My big problem is which rifle to use. The last bear I got with a Marlin 375 or .375 Winchester. Pretty impressive when it hit bear and then flop. I think I will use a BLR .308 165gr bullet this time. If I don't or can't bear hunt this next year in Manitoba I will go deer hunting there. They have some of the biggest deer I have ever seen, some go pretty close to 300lbs. Up in Manitoba you hunt bear in the woods but deer in the fields all with blinds.

You guys have a great evening and I will read all the threads and try to answer some if I have anything to contribute.

fknipfer

PS. I reload all I hunt with.

Thanks

my name is KEN I live in CAMINO CALIF. Ive been hunting black bears for18 years. I use a barnett crossbow or a rifle in 308 or 444 cal. I hunt from tree stands . dream hunt BIG GRIZZLY

THANKS KEN
    Fishing and Hunting is not just a passion, it's my buisness!

J.O. is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung
    Thanks

Hello I'm John,

This will be my first year bear hunting. I live in so cal and will most likely be hunting in the san bernardino area right after I fill my deer tag or as soon as season closes. I welcome any advice one can pass on to me. be it field dressing, scouting etc. I will be huntin the a Remington 30.06 with 180grn federal ammo.

good luck to all

Thanks

Howdy,

I live in SW Oregon and have hunted bears a long time. In SW Oregon I can buy three bear tags a year over the counter, and hunt for seven months per year. There are a lot of bears, with about 38% color phase in extreme SW Oregon, just north of California and east of the ocean.

I am an amateur outdoor writer with around 70 articles published in hunting magazines. Mostly bear hunting adventures, my own and other folks.

In spring 2007 my friend and I each took 19+ bears, and both hit the 300 lbs benchmark. Dave's weighed 250 filed dressed and mine weighed 300 field dressed. Add back in 18% and you have an approximate live weight.

Since 1994's passage of ballot measure 18, which outlawed dogs and bait, our bears are getting bigger and bigger. We used to struggle to get a bear over 200, now it is expected. In fact, my friends and I have not killed a bear below 250 is several years. We are protective of the smaller ones, but there are just a lot of bears over 250 lbs.

Glad I came aboard on Jesse's. Looks to be lots of good folks here.

Last edited by campscribe; 12-19-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Thanks

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Howdy,

I live in SW Oregon and have hunted bears a long time. In SW Oregon I can buy three bear tags a year over the counter, and hunt for seven months per year. There are a lot of bears, with about 38% color phase in extreme SW Oregon, just north of California and east of the ocean.

I am an amateur outdoor writer with around 70 articles published in hunting magazines. Mostly bear hunting adventures, my own and other folks.

In spring 2007 my friend and I each took 19+ bears, and both hit the 300 lbs benchmark. Dave's weighed 250 filed dressed and mine weighed 300 field dressed. Add back in 18% and you have an approximate live weight.

Since 1994's passage of ballot measure 18, which outlawed dogs and bait, our bears are getting bigger and bigger. We used to struggle to get a bear over 200, now it is expected. In fact, my friends and I have not killed a bear below 250 is several years. We are protective of the smaller ones, but there are just a lot of bears over 250 lbs.

Glad I came aboard on Jesse's. Looks to be lots of good folks here.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Camp Scribe
    Introduction Jim’s Outdoor Blog

Makwa is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal
    Thanks

Hi

I currently live in Manitoba. I have been hunting bears for 40 years and guided for both blacks and grizzlies for over 30. I have taken bears with archery equipment, muzzleloaders and rifle. Have taken my fair share of grizzlies and lots of black bears in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC, the Yukon and the Northwest Territories.

My wife and I kill really big black bears on our ranch every year. We have not killed a black bear under 7 feet since we bought our place in 2003.

I never get tired of bear hunting. My wife renders the fat down and there is nothing that makes a finer pie crust than bear lard.

Thanks

i live in sacramento i hunt all over northern california but never got a bear my father got his first bear last year my brother has gotten several in archery season but this year i was pig hunting near red bluff and 20 minutes into my hunt i heard a noise and thought it was a pig rottin so i turned around and to my surprise a huge blackbear not sure exact weight but the scale they had for pigs went to 500 he berried the scale this was my first bear
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

A good place is Tobias lookout pass area in just Northeast of Glenvillie CA. I was deer hunting there last season with my son and we spot 2 big bears from a distance about 700yds away, and I was talking to some other people and they said they seen 1 about 2 miles where we seen the two. There is bears there if your willing to hike the ridges and hike the steep hills.

Thanks

I guide both brown and black bears on the Gulf of Alaska so I don't get to hunt for myself much anymore. Even though I don't get to pull the trigger it's still a kick to put some one on a bear.

Thanks

Might get into bear hunting up in Oregon in the Cascades, seems interesting.
    THE WORST DAY OF HUNTING OR FISHING IS BETTER THAN THE BEST DAY AT WORK

Thanks

Name's Marc, from Santa Clarita CA (by Magic Mountain, North of LA by about 40 miles. This is my first year hunting animals of any sort. I was in the Marine Corps and am lookng for something fun and plentiful. My uncles are all hunters so I am learning from them. I have a deer and a bear tag. I wasnt initially planning on trying to exclusively hunt bear, more of a hunt the deer and see if I find a bear type scenario, but now I think I will go for the deer, and if/when I get it, I will definitely plan another trip exlusively for bear. I will be either using a 30-06 or a 7mm mag.

Thanks

My name is Edgar im from Compton,CA. I would use my weatherby vanguard s2 30-06 with my Remington 12g super mag as a backup.
    id like to try to spot and stalk seeing as in 2015 alot of changes have been made..no hounds, baiting or scent baiting ect. Allowed...any veterans with invaluable info tips and techniques for a newby please share the wealth.im looking into d14...d11 areas. I like to go out by myself but ive heard its not recommended.

Thanks

Rialto, Ca, ANF and SBNF, got my twosome at Clarks Ranch, 2X2 buck first of the Morning and about an hour later a bear sniffing the blood of the deer I popped. used my Browning BOSS 30/06 Super year for me.

Thanks

MHP is not interested in bear hunting, and i do not want to go alone remembering my last 4 bear hunts. So i'm stuck pretty much with deer hunt.

Thanks

Where were you and what happened on those last 4 Bear hunts?
    OK is this wrong, do I need to go some where else to ask?
    Don't want to step on it again
    Last edited by OPAH; 08-07-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks

They were very successful hunts, but 3 of them were very difficult and the 4th one even i harvested the bear 100 yards from the road, due to the terrain and me being only with my wife and my daughter took some significant afford.
    So, i know the value of a hunting partner, that's it.
    While i often hunt alone, for bear i will not do it.

Thanks

I agree with JustGuy. One of the toughest game retrieves I was ever involved in was a big bear my buddy shot. Never again. Now we still shoot bears occasionally but not where we cannot get them out easily. I saw one really big bear last year in D-3 that was too tough for me to retrieve so I ignored it. I saw a couple of others also but anymore for me they need to be around 150-200 pounds and not impossible to retrieve. I like bear meat but it needs to be in the right location for me to take one now. I do hunt by myself a lot since I hunt weekdays as much as possible.
    As far as where I hunt bears it is mostly in D 3-5 because that is the area I know.

Thanks

OK thought maybe you got one of those Bears from Hell that wanted to even the score. totally understand dragging them out alone, wore the adrenaline off really quick.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123