Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Bear?

Thanks

How about some introductions?

Where are you from and where do you hunt bear?

Do you use a bow or Rifle? What kind?

Who taught you to bear hunt and when did you first go bear hunting?

What is your dream bear hunt?

I'm from southern California and started chasing bear in 1980 in California. I use both a PSE Coyote recurve and .300 Winmag rifle to hunt with.

Dream hunt would be a brown bear hunt in Alaska or Canada.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

Advertise on JHO / Facebook - JHO / Home, Main Page / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

BCBOY is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

My name is Steve and I hunt Blacks in British Columbia. I've killed lots of bears with my ol' Model 99 300 Savage but now that I'm guiding for bears I pack a 300 Win Mag. Thus far our outfitt has killed 21 Blacks of all color phases. The largest one weve taken thus far this year is a 7 1/2 foot blonde. Still have a couple of 7 day hunts left so hopefully we'll be able to break that 8 foot mark.

Thanks

My name is Loren. I hunt bears in southern CA in Ventura county. The season opens the 2nd weekend of august, the weather is hot, all backpack spot and stalk.

Thanks

I am from Wilton, California but currently live in Woodland, California. I hunt black bear with hounds in the Coastal Range to the west and the Sierra Nevadas to the east of the Valley. I primarily use a Pentac 35mm camera or Sony 8mm digital video camera, but carry a Ruger .357 Blackhawk on my hip or Marlin .375 lever action rifle along sometimes as well.
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Jefferson, 1776

"They that...give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither..." -Franklin, 1759

Houndhunting...America's ORIGINAL pasttime.

lilbiggun is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

My name is Joel and I hunt bears around south central Alaska.

I use a rifle. either a 338 or a 45/70 now. No stick and string for me, thank you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lilbiggun

sbishop is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung
    Thanks

Hi, my name is Steve, I have just started black bear hunting here in New Brunswick, Canada. loving it!!!!! went out last weekend had 2 bears come to your bait pile. we have a spring and fall hunt! I'm going to wait until the fall to get one I think...

I'm using my browning 270 win.

Thanks

Oscar here, first "bear only" hunt happened about 4 years ago in the Sierras, because deer season ended and I'm from Sacramento. I've bought my tage for 5 years since I was scared by a blackie snoozing and I walked up on him.

Since then, I've spent some time in Northern Cali (B-Zones, Trinity, Mendo, Siskiyou, etc) and have smoked 2 with my Remington 30-06; 200 lbs sow (gold on chocolate) and a 300lb boar (all chocolate). Have seen some dandies, but passed because I was chasing blacktails on opening day of bow (Jennings).

Dream hunt, I'd have to say rifle in Alaska for fat blackies and huge brownies. I haven't knocked one off with my bow, so, I wouldn't want to soil myself coming head to head with a fat brownie.
    Any day in the outdoors is a damn good day.

Moose-Hunter is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung
    Thanks

Basically in the same boat as lilbiggun. I hunt both brown and black bears in the South Central part of the state, and when give the chance I'm also looking for them in the interior part of the state. No bow and arrow here. I just use my 338 Win. Mag. and my 375 H&H.
    Will the real Moose Hunter please stand up?

BLASTMASTER is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake
    Thanks

I've only been hunting the black bears for about 3 years. I haven't got one in my sites yet, but was tracking the same one up until this last fall, when it disappeared. I have a little 7mm Mauser, and hunt in the San Bernardino Mountains near San Gorgonio wilderness. I think, though, I'll be trying to pick up another one somewhere else, maybe Forest Falls area this year.
    Hunting 24/7 (people by weekday, animals all weekend)

Thanks

This will be my first bear hunt, I am originally from Georgia but am now stationed in San Diego. I plan on hunting along the Kern this year, for both deer and black bears with bow and arrow, mathews legacy, hopefully have a chance to do some scouting in a few months, presently deployed. My dream hunt would, like most people, be in Alaska hunting the big blacks and browns, or maybe up north with the big white boys.

As a side note any info any one is willing to give up on the Kern county/river bear hunting opportunities, will be greatly appreciated
    Give me a bow, a topo, and two weeks, and I guarantee I'll kill two weeks!!

bearclaw

Thanks

This is my 20th year hunting blacks in Saskatchewan. I have taken several dandies with my biggest scoring 21 6/16. Despite being an avid hunter since an early age I had never considered bear hunting. Then the spring of '83 came along. A buddy and I had a few days to kill before starting our new jobs after completing university so he suggested we go bear hunting. Needless to say I got hooked and now consider it one of my favourites! I rarely shoot a bear these days but still get a thrill watching them at my baits.

SnoBall57 is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Howdy, all! I'm a big black bear fan, and I consider the black bear to be my favorite big game animal to hunt. I live and hunt in PA. and try to get up to Maine to hunt every year or two. I've been hunting bear here in PA. since '75, and have only ever killed one, but I've put friends and family into some good stands and they've killed bear, which makes me just as happy as they are! I hunted with big gangs for years doing bear drives all across the hills here in PA., and got in on some nice bear kills. I've been hunting solo or with family for the last 5 years, and have been more successful hunting this way, as far as percentage goes. I do all my hunting on public land.
    I killed my only bear with a Savage 30-06, but the last 5 years I've been using my Ruger 77 in 7-mag.

SnoBall57 is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Oh, I forgot, my dream hunt is a brown bear bow hunt in Alaska!

HoundDawg is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Howdy, I'm HoundDawg and I have a problem. I'm a bear hunter, hopelessly addicted!!

I run bears with dogs and I hunt Utah, Arizona and New Mexico for the most part.

Sure I may be biased but there's nothin' quite as sweet as the sound of a pack of hounds trailing a bear.

Happy hunting boys!!
    HoundDawg

Thanks

I live in southern California and have been hunting bears for thirteen years. I shot enough bears in my life to the point where I'll fill my tag, only if I can't find someone that wants to fill their's first... I run star mtn plotts on bears, cats, coons, and sometimes hogs. The biggest bear we took was out of the San bernardino Mtn's. He was eight feet long from nose to tail, and caused major damage to my pack of plotts. We tree several every year in the 400-600 pound class. My dream hunt would be to hunt brownies on Kodiak Island.

Thanks

Hello all, i;ve been hunting blacks for about ten years now in the mountains and mostly on the coast of north carolina. Iam a hound hunter, useing mostly plotts and blackntans. Have killed my share of bears but mostly just handle the hounds and let the first timers do the shooting if the situation is right. Really enjoy taking the up and comeing hunters who are ready to get their first bear. Nothing like seeing the look in a kids eyes when they have downed thier first bear and the hounds are going crazy, think it excites me more then them sometimes. been wanting to get up to canada with some of my friends and do some hunting but work schedules and lack of money have not allowed me to go yet. My dream hunt would probably be to go to kodiak island or maybe get a polar! The bigger the better!

Senator is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal
    Thanks

Im from calgary alberta, first time hunting black bear this year, prob wont get one but hafta start some where.

Thanks

Steve, in Sacramento. I took my first and only bear about 7 years ago. Nice sow, she now hangs on my wall. In the past few years, I've pulled a tag just to have while I'm deer hunting. However, deer hunting is so poor that I think I'll just pull the deer tag to have while I'm hunting bear.

I like single shots, encores & contenders mostly, but am looking for a Ruger #1 or a Sharps in 45-70 for bear hunting.

I'm a family guy, don't drink, but in particular I don't let alcohol into our hunting camps. If anyone wants to get together for a hunt or to go shooting, let me know. I'm looking for a new shooting buddy. Last one got so sick of me he had to run all the way to Georgia before he didn't smell me anymore.

Take care,
    steve (steve"remove_this"@1cox.com)

GuidesForHire is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

My name is Robert Weber, i live in the northern Adirondack Mtns, on the border of the high peaks and lake country.
    I've hunted bears since I was knee high to a short mule, my Dad taught me to hunt, i'm a third generation guide, so I guess it's more correct to say I've been helping others kill bears for a while, rather than hunting them really.

I shot my first bear at age 12 and have taken a bear or two each year, here and in other states, provinces, I once took four in one year and that about ruined me on bear hunting....almost.

I'll be 40 this winter....again.

I normally carry my old '06 or 37 slug gun when following in a texas neck shot bear, but I usually hunt with a 35 rem or 6.5 x 55 swedish in model 70 short action, sometimes with the bow, Colt Signal recurve ( 50# @28 and my draw is 36") it stacks some but throws a 1,000 grain arrow mighty deep.

I hunt mainly late season when the hunters are done and one has eluded us.

I enjoy hunting ofcourse, but mostly the places bears live, we also run hounds a little bit, not for bear anymore since we lost that here other than training, but I have friends that still do, some tree over 100 bear a year, and hunt VT and Maine to boot.

I guess I've killed enough bears so I don't really have a dream hunt anymore, maybe Russia or someplace where a cave bear might still be about.

Thanks

Hi ya'll I'm the southern interior of British Columbia, Kamloops area. I hunt for blackies. I got a 19" brown phase in the spring with a bow and this fall I got a nice black bear that is going into a rug. I haven't measured the skull yet, just got the bear on Oct 13. I will be hunting them again next spring unless I get my limited entry hunt permit for grizzly, with I we be putting all my efforts toward that hunt. Dave

dugout is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal
    Thanks

I live on Prince of Wales island in Alaska. I have been hunting for 43
    years,but I shot my first black bear 9 years ago. I now have more than
    a dozen,including one B&C.
    Recently I took a job as an assistant taxidermist,and I am learning
    to mount my own animals.
    I am a 55-year -old woman,and have lived in Alaska nearly all my
    life. I will be hunting until my eyesight fails!
    Mrs.Sherry Preston

Thanks

I've never gone bear hunting but this past July I won an HHH raffle for a Maine bear hunt and will go in September 2004. It will definitely be a new experience. I haven't decided whether to take my bow or my WinchesterBigBore in .375 Win.

I did see two black bears this past September up north of Lake Isabella. One was about 25 yards away sitting under a pear tree enjoying some pears for breakfast. The other was about 15 yards away climbing in an apple tree getting some lunch.

Cheers,

Carl
    New Pig Hunter

Thanks

My name is Ken, and I hunt bear in the San Bernardino Mtns. I have not killed one there yet, but I'm working on it.

Should bag one this year before the season ends.

I use several different weapons depending on the conditions. I use a .308 Winchester Model 100 Rifle, a 12Ga Shotgun firing slugs, or a Ruger .45 Colt pistol.

I've not tried taking a bow before. Once I get one using a firearm, I may take a bow out and give it a try.

VABEARHUNTER is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

my name is chuck and i used to hunt bear in the mountains of virginia when i was younger.i have a medical condition that keeps me out of the mountains these days,though im only in my mid 30's.lucklly va has opened a short season in the flatlands for bears during our early bow and black powder seasons.so my weapon of choice would be the ole smoke pole.although i so dearly love to hear a good pack of hounds ,to me thats the best part of the hunt.i have never killed a bear but have heard some darn good chases,and have the utmost respect of an acomplished houndsmen,and his hounds.my dream hunt would be to hunt either north carolinia or virginias dismal swamp.i hear they grow em big there.
    ive hunted almost everyday of my life ,the rest have just been wasted

Thanks

My name is Steve Rock. I own and operate a hunting camp in Northern Ontario. I am from Wisconsin and have been hunting/baiting bear for about 18 years. In Wisconsin it takes 7-8 years to draw a tag. We have a family group of hunters, enough that every year someone draws a tag. I did most of the baiting for the family. Now, I run nearly 100 baits in Canada. I don't have much time for hunting now. I sit with the camera before the season and bowhunt a little after all my hunters are gone. I have killed 2 Wi. bear and 3 in Ontario, all with bow.

Dreamhunt- Grizzly with bow- from a treestand.

I am new to this website. Came here to learn how to make a digital trailcam, and now you are stuck with me.
    I used to be disgusted - Now I'm just amused

Thanks

Hey guys. I recognize a few names on here from other boards. I live in Michigan and run bear with hounds.

bradj is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake
    Thanks

I live in PA and this year will be my first to hunt bear. We really don't have bear on our property so i never hunted then before, this year I will have the time to travel(15 minutes). I plan on using my .270 with 150 grain.
    My dream hunt would be Maine or Canada with a bow.
    QDM and scent control equal years of consitant sucess.

Support www.traps4kids.com

Thanks

I have lived in Wi since 98 and drew my first permit here for this fall
    from 74 -98 i lived in Fai AK and hunted from North Slope to SE Islands for all manner of bruins. in past 5 yrs I've hunted mt once and MB twice- This spring I'll bre again hunting in MB and this fall in BC along with Wi.

Thanks

I have lived in the Bay Area, California for my whole life. My friends and I hunt alot in Northern California. I hunt 99% percent of the time with My PSE bow and all my great archery goodies. I did harvest my first bear by means of dogs. Had a great time with some generous friends.
    I spend a lot of time hunting and am currently waiting for a spot and stalk opportunity. Hopefully this will be the year I can drive my Muzzy tipped arrow through another great bear. Good luck you guys...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian H Kirksey

Make a difference in California's Archery...
    Join CBH!!

copper is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal
    Thanks

Hi my name is Shawn and I live in Berlin NH. I have been hunting bears for 15 years I love it and have never ran with dogs. I have shot one and it dressed out at 285 pounds. I have had chances to shoot other but am waiting for the big ones.

They run em I'll shoot em gota love that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast