Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Bear?

bearboy is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Brent here from Southern Sask, generally hunt in Norhtern Sask. Have shot a few bears, This year I got a Beutiful blonde phase bear. Bearhunting is an absolute rush can't wait to get my son his first bear!!!

Thanks

I live in central Phoenix, and hunt bear in the lower mountain/high desert areas around 4000' in central AZ.

First went with a bear crazy friend in 1997 because I did not get drawn for deer or elk that year. He said if we see a "medium" bear it's yours-we did-and it was mine. Thank God! Then the real work began, packing out the meat.....

I use a Interams Mark X (Zastava brand) in 30.06, Bell & Carlson fiber stock, Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10 x 42 scope, 180 gr. Barnes blue XLC bullets at 2800 fps., and I put a KDF muzzle break on it several years ago, made me a better shooter instantly.

Dream hunt...I would love to take a wilderness trip (horseback or plane) into Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and be in a place were there are lots of BLACK bears (my favorite fur color). Well, I guess a guided hunt here in Az on the San Carlos Reservation would be darn good, too.
    Arizona Hunter

Thanks

I'm from Arizona
    Arizona Hunter

Thanks

HI Im new here. My names BJ. Im from Willits in Northern California. Ive been on hunting trips with my grandfather all my life but didnt start hunting for myself until six years ago. Didnt know what I was missing. Im hooked and will never stop. I hunt in the Trinity Alps. Been hunting bears for the last five years. It seems since that I started hunting them they have taken off. Havnt spotted one. Although last year was up there for week. Got my buck and hunted for a few more days. Didnt see anyhting else. I left camp and the following day my brother inlaw shot a nice big blacky. He was about 7 foot 6 and tipped the scales at just over 500lbs. The story goes . He shot him at aprox 6:30pm form about 200 yards with a 300 Winmag. Dropped him on first shot. He had 3 other brothers with him at the time. Got down to the bear and put in another for good measure. Took the about an hour and half to clean it and pack it back up the hill to the atvs. This is the good part. He had a honda forman. The big one. Well the Bear was a bit bigger so ha had to strap the bear with the head over the handle bars with the front paws and the back paws uver the back. with the chest cavity stradling the seat. He rode on top of the bear back into camp. Scared the crap out of the kids. HAHA Well thats all here. Just picture it .

Thanks

Update on my last post. My brothers bear skull was 3/16th shy of the CA state record according to the DFG.

Savage300 is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Hi! My name is Tom and I live in Southern California. I've taken two bear out of Trinity county in the northern part of our state. My younger son and I have spot and stalked bears in the San Bernardino National Forest the last few years with no success. Butttt!!! We have found a better area and are hoping this year to score. I will be using a .300 Savage. I took my other bears with a 30/30 Marlin and a .308 Browning lever gun.
    Good luck to you all.

Thanks

live and hunt in ontario canada. have taken a few bears with the biggest dressing out at 248#.

i hunt with my 308 rem.7600 and excalibur exomag crossbow. took my biggest bear with the crossbow.

Thanks

I am currently living in Cali, While stationed in Alaska, I hunted black bear on the south central coast , and brown bear on the Alaskan penninsula. I am going back up there next fall to chase brownies again. It was already a dream come true, but I guess polar bear in the N.W.T would be the dream that probably won't come true, but then again I do have some pretty damn lucky numbers picked out for the lottery here. lol

Ryan

oh, and I shoot a .300 WSM
    ~Ryan

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing" ...Sledge Hammer

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

joedjr is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal
    Thanks

My name is Joe and I'm from Central New Jersey. Went on my first spot and stalk hunt this past May in Northern British Columbia. We saw 10 grizzly and about 10 black bears in 7 days. I shot my bear at 200 yards with a winchester model 70 300 win mag. I've shot alot of deer with both bow and gun but this was a real thrill. I want to go to either coastal B.C or Alaska for a big brown someday.

Happy hunting to all..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

I'm from Ventura CA. this will be my first bear hunt. I've been hunting in the Lockwood area for years, but I've never gotten around to Bear. From what I know hunting this area, it's going to be alot of spot & stalk. The bears in this area are 8 to 1 cinammon. really pretty. Season opens Nov. 19th, so I'll be there with bells on. I hunt with a sigarms .300 winmag. probably a little too much, but it's either that, or the .243, and I'd hate to be undergunned. Wish me luck
    Where did I put my wallet?......
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    paved roads are proof of needless government spending

Thanks

oops, opens Oct 9th. I'm a few days late
    Where did I put my wallet?......
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    paved roads are proof of needless government spending

Houndsmen is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

I hunt Southern California Black Bears with Plott hounds. I have three Plotts. Several of my buddies have Walkers, Black and Tans and some other mixed breeds. We usually use 30'06 rifles ( short ones because of all the brush) or .44 mags. If you ever get a chance to hunt bears with hounds, no matter what breed, it is awesome!!! There is nothing like hearing the hounds treed or bayed up on a big bear.

HUNTERJOHN is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

WELL LETS START WITH MY NAME IS JOHN AND I HAVE NEVER HUNTED BEAR BEFORE, THIS SPRING WILL BE MY FIRST TIME HUNTING BEAR, AND I WILL BE DOING SO WITH A BOW AND ARROW. I HOPE TO GAIN SOME VALUABLE INFORMATION AND MAYBE IF I WORK HARD ENOUGH I WILL HARVEST A BEAR THIS SPRING.

Thanks

Hey Folks,
    Howdy, I hunt mostly in Northern California. Up here we are just sworming with bears. We hunt them any way you would like, hounds, spot and stock, early archery. Have a few hunts left still and we are getting snow so the big boars should be on the move. Give a shout if anyone is interested. Oh yea my dream hunt is moose and bear with a bow. Love that bow hunting.
    good luck everyone,
    deermagnet
    Don't shoot till your ready.

headshot243 is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

huntin wyo use a 30-06 220 grain for the grizzlys when you could still hunt them
    live to hunt, hunt to live, anything less is a crime!

shedhunternb is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung
    Thanks

Hi my name is Dave.Been hunting bears [black] for quite a while now,25 years. Don,t use bait. I watch trails and old roads. I use my 270 Win in a Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle.We have a spring season here in New Brunswick, so I carry my gun while shed hunting.

recurver67 is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung
    Thanks

Hello, I'm Jerry from southern Michigan. I put in for the draw in the eastern U.P of MI. If I get drawn it will be my 1st bear hunt. I plan on hunting with my recurve over bait and have my backup 454 casull. I'll find out June 6, got my fingers crossed.

Thanks

Hello to everyone! My name is Ryan and live in the game rich province of Manitoba. My first word was "bear" (no lie) and was raised in a bowhunting family. I've had the privledge of hunting some of the best area for Blackies around and managed to harvest some really good ones. Managed to stick my third booner this spring and am looking forward to a big taxidermy bill. My booners are all different colors so I think they all deserve life size mounts! I often dream of a spot and stalk bowhunt for brown bear...maybe one day. This is my bear from this year.

Thanks

Here's another from a few years back.

Thanks

Good luck on your draw Jerry. Hope you get the chance to come up and get your first bear. I live in central UP Schoolcraft county. We got plenty up here so you should have at chance a him

Nice Nice bear Ryan. Love the color phases
    Integrity, if you have it nothing else matters. If you don't nothing else matters!!!!

Thanks

Ryan,
    Those are beauts- i've hunted MB 3 times and taken 2 nice bears over bait and hunted many years in Alaska BUT have'nt yet found a nice color phase bear- maybe next year? I used to hunt MB before non res needed a guide and that was fun around Oak Lake, Hartney,and Pleasant Valley. In those days i was married to a lady from Griswold.

recurver67 is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung
    Thanks

Talking

Awesome bears Ryan. Upper, I got lucky and will be headed up this fall. We put in for Newberry's third period. were going to be just west of Detour. I hope there will be lots of bears. Thanks -Jerry

Thanks

South Carolina here, and I just hunt with a little .44 magnum pistol if I decide to carry a gun.

JEV is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal
    Thanks

I'm from North West Minnesota and this will be my first year hunting bear. I've hunted pretty much everything else in my part of the state, but I've never got a chance at a bear. I've been baiting for two weeks now and my bait sites have been getting hit every night. I finally got a game camera out Sunday night. I had the camera set up at 7pm and when I checked the pics Monday evening, the bear had been there at 7:30. Must be a hungry bugger. I plan on using my .50cal Optima Pro with a 300gr Hornady XTP Mag for my first bear. If and when I get another shot at a second bear this year, I plan on using my bow. Only 2 more days till season opens!!!
    JEV

Thanks

Good luck JEV hope you get a monster Be sure and post the pics when you do or better yet let's see those game cam pics. Great to have you to the site Surf around a bit and I think you will be hooked as so many of us are.
    Integrity, if you have it nothing else matters. If you don't nothing else matters!!!!

Thanks

Hi all, new to site and want to say hi. I live in north east wisconsin and I bowhunt either spot and stalk or stand hunt in norther ontario. I use a golden eagle splitfire 32 with vapor carbon arrows tipped with unstoppable muzzy 100

Thanks

I hunt in Wisconsin mainly, but I have interest in hunting some remote areas of Canada. I shot my 1st bear with dogs and a rifle. I now just bow hunt them.
    We have to draw a tag and it takes a few years to get a tag. I have drawn 3 tags so far.

1st bear ever, (small) many, many, moons ago.

500 pounder shot with bow near Wausa Wisc.

400 pound bow bear arrowed near Ashland Wisc.
    BUKMASTR
    Big buck serial killer

Thanks

I am in Maine, we can trap , bait and hound here, I have Called in a big sow once using a fawn in distress.. let her walk cause she had 4 cubs..I am baiting for the first time this year, There is a monster around His track is 7" wide!! will need a wheeler to get him out. I am thinking of using my rem 7600 in 3006 but may use my bow or my 44 mag revolver or my new CVA Kodiak pro.. My dream hunt for bear would be a Mt griz with moose and caribou on the side.. I have a rem 700 in 338 win mag i picked up just for that hunt!! mfm

Thanks

Live in CA Bay Area, now hunt mostly in N. Cal wilderness. Enjoy spot & stalk archery, but only started chasing bears last season. Hope to double up on deer/bear combo this year! Stick 'em!
    Watch yer topknot

Thanks

sounds great Monsterbull, i share the same intrest in bowhunting. chat with you soon.................tra
    Former Staff Shooter For ( DCA ) DEER CROSSING ARCHERY >-------->
    Lee County Archers Member Ft. Myers Florida
    Florida Archery Association / NFAA Member 10 yrs.
    Former Member of California Bowmen Hunters 8 yrs.
    Shooting Stick N String for 20+ yrs.
    Predator Archery
    JHO King of Selfies
    JHO Godfather of Tapatalk
    Fled The Greedy State Ca.
    Florida Hog Hunting, No Lic.! No Tags! Don't be Jealous!> BTW There's No Pigs in TEJON..lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast