Thread: Packing in

Thanks

Default Packing in

No birds for me, I'm giving up the the last weekend of the turkey archery season for trout. The plan is to hike in with an overnight pack to fish that evening and the next morning. The off trail hike in is about a mile long and a 1000' down into the canyon so not coming out the same day will let us be on the river during prime time without hiking in the dark and give us a night under the stars to boot. let's hope the stars are out, we're going in between two forecasted rain events so we'll see how that goes. High water from snow melt and potential rain is also a big factor so we'll also see how that goes. We'll try and get a look at the river before the hike in and if it's blown out with high water there's option two, a smaller fork with a shorter drainage below the snow line where we can car camp closer to the river.
    There wasn't enough room in the boat.

Thanks

I tried some Sierra tributaries last weekend, and boy, it was rough fishing. That water is moving right now. But you won’t know until you try. One thing you can bet on, now that you’ve switched from hunting to fishing: you’re bound to see turkeys on your trip.

Thanks

Close to .5" of rain came down yesterday and there're calling for another 1.5" today/tonight. With moderately high clear water I was hoping to find the trout in the dead water eddys but if we get that much more water coming down and reduced visibility it could be real tough to catch trout.
    There's a little brook trout creek back east that we used to fish as kids. The rivers and creeks back there flow through mostly flat ground, nothing like the creeks and rivers that cascade down the sierras. Anyway, we were fishing that creek one day, fishing upstream as we were taught and didn't have much luck. We decided to call it and turned round to wade back, while wading back we got into a slack water area and kicked up a shit load of black mud sediment. That dirty water turned the bite on big time. I probably shouldn't be thinking about that, i probably should be thinking about option three.
    Depending on rain and how the river looks tomorrow afternoon we may end up at option two which is were i'd like to scout for deer anyway. Fresh deer tracks and a few trout sounds pretty good, fresh tracks and no trout would still be good, no tracks and no trout that's still OK. Like someone once said "you won't know until you try". I'm into learning about and enjoying the outdoors as much as I can.
    Thanks for the report Homes it's appreciated, and thanks for reminding me to bring my bow and my call.

Thanks

Here's hoping you see deer tracks as you cook fresh trout for breakfast. I remember my dad fixing scrambled eggs to with fresh trout in the mornings when we went "car camping".
    Minds are terrible things to waste...especially when they can be so much fun to play with!
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Thanks

Thanks, I'll post up a report next week.
    Gotta get Mr. Cash answered first thing. How highs the water Mamma? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgiFh66swc

Thanks

Sounds like a great time. It's near impossible to not have a great time up in them mountains.
    see ya in the brush

Thanks

It was a great time, even though there were no trout caught.
    The first planned drive in point had about 6 to 8" of new snow at 6k and the forest road was blocked by a +/- 3' snow plow drift (old packed snow under the fresh stuff). We still contemplated hiking in even with the extra distance and elevation because the river looked good (binos from the road) but hiking that distance in wet snow and mostly off trail proved undesirable. Besides we had option two and we drove down and it was blocked by a locked forest gate, so now we have to improvise. We checked the maps,, decided on a new location and drove down to a small and as it turned out a closed to public access reservoir, but the roads were open :). We started our drop in a couple hours later than planned but it was only a 100' or so and that put us mostly at the at the top of the reservoir (legal). The top of the reservoir looked good, the river looked good, not crystal clear but plenty clear enough to catch fish. We fished the top of the reservoir were it met the river and boony hiked about a quarter mile up stream and found three holes on the way that should have held and most likely did hold fish but we could not get them to strike a lure. Blocked by tall, hike up and over rock walls and a river that did not look better than what was behind us we decided to go find a place to camp for the night. It sure felt good to get the line wet but it was time to call it.
    So that was the fishing trip, but. On the last hole a dipper was kind enough to give us a show. Those birds are so cool and this one flirted with disaster at the top of a small waterfall, at least it seemed that way to me but for the bird it was business as usual. On our drive up and out of the reservoir we saw a bear in the road a short distance ahead after rounding a corner. It ran up the road a short distance with it's hair standing on edge along its back before turning up hill and into cover. Getting closer to were the bear was we spotted movement as a small cub climbed a pine tree a couple yards from the road. We stopped and watched for a short time, got a few pics as the cub came out of the tree and went after mom who was probably just out off our sight. We found a great spot to car camp and the weather cooperated by bringing out some stars to sleep under and in the morning a doe decided to walk by camp at about 100yds out while we were still in our sleeping bags.

Thanks

Great report!