Thread: X12 or x9a?

Thanks

Default X12 or x9a?

Curious on everyone's opinion since they where both 5 point minimum to draw last year bc of the decrease tags for x12.iv never hunted x9a but iv heard people say it's better than x12. I have hunted x12 3 times before with just ok success but really want to know others opinions. Thanks

Thanks

I have never hunted those 2 zones but from what I’ve learned go where is closer and you can spend
    more time scouting and hunting.. I drew an X zone that was about 8 hours away a couple years ago I loved the country but I didn’t get to scout and Time was limited and it isn’t easy to learn a new zone on the fly when all you’ve done is seen maps online. If distance is the same I’d say pick one and learn it that way yourready every few years

i know that doesn’t answer your question specifically but I hope it steers you in the right direction.. BTW how did you do
    in X12 the times you hunted?

Thanks

Gotten one 3x2 in the 3 tries one of the time was archery. A few years back tho everyone talked so highly of x9a but it was like 5 points to draw compared to x12 being 3-4 so now they are the same just wanted opinions thanks.

Thanks

My opinion stick to what you know both are great zones but you have to learn them

Thanks

Its hard to compare draw odds when concerding the cut in tag allocations in 2010 x12 had 760 rifle and 170 archery tag. now its 340 and 40 x9 had 650 rifle and 140 archery now its 269 and 30. Im not sure of the real reason for the cut but ill bet in just a few years the quality of deer will be better i have hunted 9 many times im just waiting a few more years before i put in for the tag

Hunt hard and hunt often
    ( Trying like hell to live the dream)
    Hoyt carbon element 70#, spot hogg hogg father , spot hogg wiseguy release, 340 grains FMJ, G5 montec 100 grains, ripcord rest

Thanks

I suppose it all depends on why you hunt. If filling the tag is the priority, go where you know, but maybe its nice to explore new country and challenge yourself on a new game board?

Thanks

From my experience, 9a has more non hunters running around due to the touristy stuff in the unit. X12 is more remote. Deer quality is pretty much the same IMHO.

Thanks

I applied 9A with 5 points and did not draw

Thanks

I would have to agree with Dustin. I know someone who hunted 9a last year. In one single day he saw 11 spikes. He settled for a small 3x3 , did not see much else and he is what I would consider a good hunter based upon his track record though he is getting older. In a couple more seasons things should look really well there. I am not sure if its the same in x12....
    All in all, hunt where you know if it holds bucks. The key is scouting.
    BOW

Quote Originally Posted by dustin ray View Post
    Its hard to compare draw odds when concerding the cut in tag allocations in 2010 x12 had 760 rifle and 170 archery tag. now its 340 and 40 x9 had 650 rifle and 140 archery now its 269 and 30. Im not sure of the real reason for the cut but ill bet in just a few years the quality of deer will be better i have hunted 9 many times im just waiting a few more years before i put in for the tag
    ~The Bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding Bureaucracy~

-Oscar Wilde-

Thanks

I haven't hunted x9a, just x12 a few times. I'd vote for going with a zone you've already built a base of knowledge up. X12 has such a nice variety of terrain and lots of backcountry you could hike into and probably be alone. You could try some new areas, then always fall back into some spots you've hunted before.
    Not that x12 is any better, but you already probably know where most the hunters tend to congregate. Places to avoid. Places to hike in from. Places that attract the young bucks but nothing bigger. Maybe where the deer tend to move to after opening weekend pressure. Knowing where the deer AREN'T sometimes is half the battle haha.

Anymore it seems like I apply for areas that I enjoy the scenery and terrain. You could find a nice buck in either zone. Of course if you personally know someone that's hunted x9a very recently that would share some very specific information(not posted for all the public to see), that could tip the scales towards a new zone.

Thanks

Thanks all. We applied for x12 with 5 points, 2 of us hopefully we get it