Thread: Jenkins lake / sly park road

Thanks

Default Jenkins lake / sly park road

I was wondering if this area is to high in elevation. I know a lot of spots about 1000 below this area but area there turkeys in the area? Not asking for spots but in general is this a good area ?

Thanks

So in the Sierras you can find turkeys up to 5000 feet or so during the spring season. That 2500-4000 foot range is generally optimal for "Mountain Birds." I've never hunted up that way but I can say that there are probably birds up that way. You would have competition from the locals out of Placerville and you would have to put your time in to find these birds.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thanks. I am in Folsom so only about 30-40 mins away. Never hunted the area but have driven, hiked, and fished a few spots back there. Never seen or heard turkeys but I might get the bow out and go for a hike this week and call around and see what happens.

Thanks

This year we had a late spring so gobblers at that elevation should still be active. I personally like to start scouting at least two weeks before the general season. For mountain birds, walking logging roads and fire breaks looking for tracks, esp. in puddles or damp spots is a good place to start. Look for droppings and feathers around meadows, etc. Turkeys tend to gravitate towards running water, hint, hint... Of course getting up on a ridge just before first light and listening for gobbles off of the roost is a good way to see if they are in the area. Mountain birds tend to be really spread out in little pockets, but the areas where private and public land intersect are where I usually start. Good luck.

Thanks

I should also add that a top place to check for sign for mountain birds is scratching up of leaves under black oaks. Sometimes under pines too but the turkeys really like them there black oak acorns...

Thanks

Thanks for the intel. I’ll be heading that way in a couple days with bow in hand this time. Last time I was there I was checking the river for the trout opener