Thread: Get your steel shot dove loads for the 2019 California September 1st opener right now!

Thanks

Default Get your steel shot dove loads for the 2019 California September 1st opener right now!

Even before I knew about a new California ammo law I was predicting the supply of steel shot dove loads and steel target loads would not not meet the demand for the September 1st dove season opener.

With the new ammo laws it will be even harder to get the steel shot loads since we can no longer order any ammo. Good steel shot dove loads were not easy to find even when we could order them.

If you are planning on hunting dove and quail in 2019 you may want to buy some steel shot shells right now if you see any.

The ballistics on steel #7 shot is not as good as lead #9 shot so if you have a choice between steel #6 shot and steel #7 shot I would go with the steel #6 shot.

Good luck!

Thanks

Hey dabob,

Since you guys do a lot of predators, since I can't seem to find any buckshot that's non-lead... and LGS never seems to have Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote... What else might I be able to use for Coyote or Bobcat?

The Heavier-than-lead shotshell they did have, which I bought, are:
    Hevi-Shot Speed-Ball Waterfowl loads. 3.5" 1.5oz #1 shot, 1650fps
    Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend 3" 2.0oz blend #5, #6, #7 shot, 2.0oz, 1200fps.

The only other rounds that looked like they'd possibly work, and I bought some, were some 3" Federal Steel Shot in BBB.

I'm figuring among these choices the 3.5" #1 shot would be the best of these?

Then after that runs out, the Blend?

Then the BBB?

Does that sound about right? Or would that Turkey Blend not work on a Yote/Bobcat? (More immediately been trying for Bobcat tag)

Your input would be appreciated.

Thank you Sir.
    Last edited by TheGDog; 01-28-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog

Thanks

Thanks for the "Heads Up". Barring any component shortages I think I'm in pretty good shape dove load wise. I have a couple of dove loads developed that deliver a very uniform pattern at 35 to 40 yards. I had these loads tested at Precision Reloading Labs for pressure and FPS. I think these loads are in the ballpark for what I'm doing and expecting with about 0.7 " penetration at 40+ yards w/ #6s. I accidentally bought two 10 lb. bags of #6 nickle plated lead the other day, instead of steel. I have to figure out how to burn through this mistake along with 50 lbs of #7.5 lead before July 1. I guess I'll be making some paper weights or shooting a lot more Euros.
    "There is only one thing more painful than learning from experience, and that is not learning from experience"

Thanks

TheGDog, you really need to investigate any shotgun loads made by EMI "Hevi-Shot" they are very good at misleading you on what is in their shotgun ammo.

The Speed Ball #1 shot loads may work on bobcats that are 40 yards away and less. In the Speed Ball loads the #1 shot is steel shot and you don't know what the Hevi-Shot size is that is in the Speed Ball loads. It maybe size #4, #5 or #6 that is in with the #1 steel shot.

I wouldn't shoot Speed Ball #1, Steel BBB or the Hevi-Shot blend with shot sizes #5, #6 and #7 at coyotes. If you are just gong to shoot at standing coyotes in the head at 30 yards and less these loads should work.

If you have a store that you can order Lead Free ammo from the Hevi-Shot goose loads in "B" shot would be about as good as you can get for coyotes and bobcats. Hevi-Shot Goose loads in #2 shot is what I would order if you wanted just a bobcat load. I would rather shoot the Hevi-Shot Goose load "B" shot at coyotes instead of the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote because it only has 50 pellets in a 3" 1-1/2 oz load. The 3" 1-1/2 oz Hevi-Shot Goose load in size "B" will have a little over 70 pellets per shell.

If you get a old Mec 600 Junior and buy HW13 shot from Bucks Run Sports Supply you can reload quality 3" 1-1/2 oz loads for half of what the Hevi-Shot Goose or Dead Coyote loads sell for. The HW13 shot is round and very consistent in size so it is much better shot than the Hevi-Shot is.

Limited Out, you can still shoot that lead #7-1/2" shot at Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays!

I would like to get in 3 or 4 more good Euro dove shoots between now and July 1st, 2019 to use some some lead #6 and #7 loads that I still have.

I have plenty of steel shot reloads and steel shot components for at least a couple of years of dove and quail hunting.

Thanks

I just go yo my local gun store, and they order me whatever ammo I want. No biggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dthome View Post
    I just go yo my local gun store, and they order me whatever ammo I want. No biggie
    There is a very good chance that if you wait to order steel shot dove loads or steel shot target loads just before the September 1st opener there may not be any ammo to order.

There has never been much of a demand for steel shot dove loads or target loads. When every dove hunter in California has to use steel shot the demand will be bigger than the supply.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dabob View Post
    There is a very good chance that if you wait to order steel shot dove loads or steel shot target loads just before the September 1st opener there may not be any ammo to order.

There has never been much of a demand for steel shot dove loads or target loads. When every dove hunter in California has to use steel shot the demand will be bigger than the supply.
    We must have very different stores near us. Stores in my area have oodles of steel loads, and the stores I order from have inventory nationwide. Still, you could be right, which is why I bought my ammo awhile ago. We shall see.