Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New dog in the family

Thanks

They will work. You need to very carefully follow the instructions for how you introduce your dog to that caller. And you need one that will at first emit an audio pre-cursor tone... that signals to the dog that if they don't shut up... the zap is about to come.

I suggest putting the unit on yourself first to test and adjust the level of zap you allow it to send out. It will be hard on your spirit to see the collar become invoked on the dog you love. Know this ahead of time.

It's been decades since I had to use one. And it was only for a brief period. Turns out that new wife was more allergic than we thought. So I was forced with the dilemma of brand new wife (who would go on to later be known be me as Mrs Anger Management)...vs.. lvoing dog I'd adopted for maybe 2-3 years. So I found her (the dog, hehe) a new home (worst decision ever) with a co-worker at the time who had several children of all different ages. But sadly, she escaped from that home in Norco. Apparently she had a habit of getting out and following the kids to the bus stop or something. I felt really bad about that.

Is no one at home during the day? Does the dog not have a bunk-mate?

If you love dogs, chances are high you won't have the heart to continue with your dog wearing one of those devices.

You may want to consider instead possibly a remote controlled caller. The parents of a schoolmate of my boy use one with excellent results. She said she just uses the buzzing/vibrating function of it.
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog

Thanks

We've been considering a training collar with a remote instead of the bark collar to help with her training. Cinnamon is highly headstrong and can be very belligerent. Thought is maybe treat/"good dog" reward or click for "nope!". I like the idea of vibrate/buzz vs. shock to get her attention and would only use shock as last resort in extreme cases. Unfortunately she is still very shy with people and will try to fight any dog that she sees. She also wants to dig under the fence to chase birds, squirrels, rabbits, voles (she digs voles and moles out of the ground)...you name it she wants it.
    Any suggestions on a good training collar? I don't think I need the "Caddy" of collars but want a good one with about a 10yrd. range.
    Last edited by P304X4; 05-15-2019 at 06:36 AM.
    Minds are terrible things to waste...especially when they can be so much fun to play with!
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Thanks

Don't know when I can get back to you on that. I'll make it a point to ask those other parents I mentioned. It was a nice little compact unit. And the dog responded very well to them because of it.
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog

Thanks

I've had some HUGE labs in the past, notably Brody at a stout 150# and trim as they get. Just an absolute beast of a dog. He would tower over every dog he came across, and never once got in a fight, that is, until he met a rat terrier!
    New neighbors moved in and had one, Brody would literally hide in his house when they came over. It was hilarious.

Thanks

I'm hoping to be able to work with her to get over the fear of people and over the aggression toward other dogs. I've had trainers offer to help but $600.00 plus is a bit steep for my budget.
    Minds are terrible things to waste...especially when they can be so much fun to play with!
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12