Thread: D14 Bear Mauls a Hunter

Thanks

Default D14 Bear Mauls a Hunter

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog

Thanks

BTW... Wild1... check-in with us and let us know it wasn't you!
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog

Thanks

Thankfully it wasn't me! Hunter made a crucial mistake: instead of waiting 4-5 hours after a marginal hit he (they) started trailing the blood after only 30 minutes. Latest report from an inside source: 600 stitches in his head alone, lost an eye and part of his nose - 8 hours in plastic surgery.

Thanks

Or after the death moan correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

well i know the party of people and i wouldnt wish that on anyone i hope that he can make a speedy recovery and be able to provide for his family valueable lessom to those of us who have children getting into hunting or even adults just starting out a bear lets out a huge moan befor death and when you hit and animal with a good shot he will rodeo jump spin or even tumble and roll if you do hit one and ge races off immediatley i would avoid him till next morning

Thanks

Sad over 40 years of experience, we still don't have all the facts but a mistake was made and a Man is paying for it.
    He will be in recovery for a long while, the damage to his arm and face was very sever.

Thanks

Lots of bears, do indeed, let out a "death moan", but not all of them.

Thanks

A lot to tell by the Blood, Dark Blood Kindney / liver, Frothy red Lungs and I am should their are more that I am not remembering at the Moment

Thanks

My thing quite and slow get the bear in sight when at all possible and watch it for a while, Climb a tre if need to see it from a far.
    A;ways error on the safe taking to long side

Thanks

So I've heard that one of the other hunters had a sidearm and finished off the bear, any truth to this?

Thanks

Yep. The bear might have died without a gun shot, but word is, one of the hunters popped him with a sidearm. Getting complicated.

Thanks

the injured party would have been dead had his partner not had a handgun with him to take him out

Thanks

the person who wrote this rediculious stupid law should have to accompany archery hunters with a knife and see how safe he safe he feels around bears and mountain lions if one cannot tell entrance and exit wound of a firearm or arrow something is really wrong legislature wake up here

Thanks

Did I read somewhere that one can have a sidearm while hunting archery bear but not during deer? Shits very complicated for sure.

I would post a link if I knew how? anyone have an idea how? The link button won't work for me.

Thanks

Not in California Made me sick reading the crap in the Daily Mail on line about this.
    Harrid people
    Last edited by OPAH; 08-30-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...-crpa-petition what about this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild1 View Post
    Thankfully it wasn't me! Hunter made a crucial mistake: instead of waiting 4-5 hours after a marginal hit he (they) started trailing the blood after only 30 minutes. Latest report from an inside source: 600 stitches in his head alone, lost an eye and part of his nose - 8 hours in plastic surgery.
    So... to summarize for those of us without bear experience..... if the initial shot doesn't produce a "Rodeo Spin" Or a Tumble/Roll before running... if it JUST produces a bear that growls and then runs off.... you're saying as long as the initial symptoms/behaviour/evidence doesn't make you think it was a heckuva good hit... you're saying give it until Death Moan+30minutes.... OR... at least 4 hrs minimum... before even attempting to blood trail it? Does that sound about right?
    Last edited by TheGDog; 08-30-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks

Every Bear, every shot is different, this can not be given a cookie stamp to do card to carry in your hunting wallet.
    The spin, the hop and roll, the Death roar are all good things to take into concideration, but not to bet your life on !

Thanks

Best wishes to the guy that got mauled. Don't know exactly what happened and I'm not trying to say he did anything wrong. I hope the following will help new hunters.
    Any animal that feels threatened and cornered by you will attack you. Some are meaner than others and some will try to escape but bear, pig and even deer will all attack if they are cornered and threatened.
    The best way to avoid this is to make a clean kill shot. Don't release the arrow unless your sure it will hit the vitals and make short work of putting the animal down. You should be able to see the arrow hit it's mark and/or feel confident in the shot.
    If you hit the animal and are not sure the arrow hit the vitals then you'll find yourself in Oshitsville. You may or may not get clues from the animal, the arrow and the blood but if you think you didn't hit the vitals it's best to let the animal sit overnight before tracking.
    Hitting the vitals on every shot is easier said than done but it is doable if you only take shots that are in your comfort zone and under good conditions.
    There wasn't enough room in the boat.

Thanks

I killed a bear last year. The first shot wasn't lethal and it ran off, but hurting. I found it later, still alive, but not very mobile. It was my first bear and I was afraid of it. I think it is good to be afraid, it tends to make one cautious. I snuck up to it, cautiously, and when at about 10 yards I shot it again through the lungs. It died on the spot, but even then I tossed plenty of rocks at it to make sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGDog View Post
    So... to summarize for those of us without bear experience..... if the initial shot doesn't produce a "Rodeo Spin" Or a Tumble/Roll before running... if it JUST produces a bear that growls and then runs off.... you're saying as long as the initial symptoms/behaviour/evidence doesn't make you think it was a heckuva good hit... you're saying give it until Death Moan+30minutes.... OR... at least 4 hrs minimum... before even attempting to blood trail it? Does that sound about right?
    The spin and roll don’t mean anything, and bears often don’t do the death moan. Just take bankrunner’s advice.

Thanks

Just took a bear an hour ago with the bow. No spin, growl, or roll. He ran all of 40 yards or so and died within 3 minutes of being shot. I could hear him take his last breath. No moan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Nice way to start your Saturday!

Thanks

Hopefully you can share more of your story when you get some time.

Thanks

No gun shots in the bear. But two arrows.

Thanks

*bump*

Five weeks to archery. Newcomb brings a solemn pep talk from BC. Much respect to Ursus Americanus and those who hunt him, win or lose.

http://rssr.link/pUVJ?t=2662

Link is queued up (44:22), but the whole episode is worthwhile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imperial valley hunter View Post
    Did I read somewhere that one can have a sidearm while hunting archery bear but not during deer? Shits very complicated for sure.
    Looks like you will be able to soon. Thanks to the folks who got this change in motion, and to those who drafted the new reg. Should reduce a lot of risk and confusion:

https://tinyurl.com/y29q4jr2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turas View Post
    Looks like you will be able to soon. Thanks to the folks who got this change in motion, and to those who drafted the new reg. Should reduce a lot of risk and confusion:

https://tinyurl.com/y29q4jr2

Thanks for posting this.. I did receive this update from the DFG this morning.
    No Side Arms During Archery Deer Season The California Fish and Game Commission recently adopted a regulation to authorize possession of a firearm while hunting big game during archery seasons, except for deer. To clarify, it is against the law to carry a firearm while deer hunting during archery season or anytime with an archery-only deer tag. If a hunter has a different big game archery-only tag, elk for example, he or she may possess a firearm under the provisions listed in the newly adopted regulation.

On a side note Make sure you have non lead ammo in your sidearm!

Hope this helps

Thanks

You can carry a side arm during archery bear/ predator hunting