Thread: Fur buyers and backcountry hunting

Thanks

Default Fur buyers and backcountry hunting

I have 2 questions so i figured i'd put them put them both in one post:

1. Anyone have any leads on fur buyers in the local area? Coyote pelts are on the up but i can't seem to find any local furbuyers. Option 2 would be to tan them myself but that's a lot of work i don't have time for right now.

2. Anyone have any success with back country hunting around here? I know there is nowhere on VAFB that is back country but my question is more geared towards the national forest/wilderness areas around here. I prefer to get back in the rough country and spend a few days at a time back there. I've done a few hiking trips in los padres NF and seen some monster deer but i have to to see any pigs way back in. I am new to pigs so do they generally live more in the agricultural areas rather than back country?

Thanks

I believe it is illegal to sell hunted animal parts in California. ...

Thanks

You need a trapper's license to sell fur in California.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dthome View Post
    You need a trapper's license to sell fur in California.
    Correct. A person needs to take the trappers test (go here for more info https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...D=30687&inline) at a DFW regional office. After passing the test and paying the license fee (currently $117.42 for residents, $579 for non-residents), the applicant will be assigned a trapper number. This is a permanent number (like the GO number on your hunting/fishing license). Trappers must maintain a log book of their kills and turn in a copy of these logs to the DFW every year (FGC section 4008). In addition, these records are subject to inspection at any time, without a search warrant.

Raw furs (including sun cured and salt cured furs) must be sold to a licensed fur dealer/buyer. I don't know of any dealers that still have California on their travel route. Most CA trappers either 1) mail in their furs to an out-of-state fur dealer (like USAFOXX.com) or 2) drive them to a dealer out-of-state (Global, AZ has a fur dealer).

Tanned furs can be sold to the public by licensed trappers without going through a fur dealer/buyer. Tanned fur sales must be recorded in the trapper's log book. I've seen tanned mediocre coyote pelts sold to city slickers for upwards of $200.

Dealers/buyer are paying around $100 a piece for well-cared-for (1 - Clean. No blood, dirt, burrs; 2 - silky, brushed fur; 3 - holes properly stitched; 4 - case skinned, stretcher dried with no fur slippage) coyote pelts with large white bellies. Western coyotes bring higher prices than Eastern coyotes.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell, English novelist