Thread: My gut instinct and past work experience were right.

Thanks

Default My gut instinct and past work experience were right.

The past few days I have elevated my concerns about VAFB hunting and the effects of uncontrolled predators to various California state level authorities and politicians. I received an email from Stuart Itoga, the Deer Program Coordinator at CDFW, this morning.

To give a little bit of history, I was told a few times by some VAFB personnel that the state was responsible for conducting game surveys and provided some guidance for setting the quotas for game harvest. I was also informed that the VAFB officials were subject to CA state authority. Based on my past volunteer work experience at other military wildlife departments, I understood that base or post commanders have sole authority over wildlife management.

Here is the email from Mr. Itoga:
    Sorry to hear you were not happy with your hunting experience on the base. I am not sure if you are aware of the fact that legally the Department has no jurisdiction to survey for deer or to develop and implement deer related projects on U.S. Military Bases. The base commander sets the season dates and the number of tags for deer hunting on the base. In the past, the base had its own biologist, and we worked with them to develop management plans specifically for the base. However, there’s been some turnover in personnel, and it has impacted the survey schedule. The Department does work with staff at the base but has limited authority to intervene as you suggest. One other fact that might interest you is that the Department is not the decision making body for hunting regulations. We make recommendations to the Fish and Game Commission, and they make the actual decision on whether or not to accept and turn it into a regulation. However, we will continue working with staff at Vandenberg to the extent we can to conserve deer on the base and adjacent areas. Thank you for your concern and interest in California’s deer.

I will be sending an email to the VAFB commander today.
    Last edited by DaveGray; 08-16-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster
    Unofficial VAFB Rod & Gun Club

Thanks

That's am odd reply considering the American wildlife model. The game is the property of the people of the state, not the landowner no matter who that is. That is why we don't personally own the deer that live on our property, and why the State game managers can justify increased fees for non-resident hunters.

Thanks

Update: I did send an email to the base commander, COL Mike Hough, and he responded within an hour. COL Hough is a hunter, and I believe he is genuinely concerned too. I expect continued conversations with him. He has only been at VAFB since June, and in due time, I think we will see some changes. In the mean time, while he is away from Vandy, COL Hough has forwarded my message to others.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster

Thanks

I have written an article and it's now at the VAFB Rod and Gun Club website. Predators—Is it a problem at Vandenberg AFB?
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster