Thread: Worst Opener Weekend Ever!

Thanks

Unhappy Worst Opener Weekend Ever!

As of 0920, August 14, 2017, Vandenberg AFB experienced the worst weekend general deer season opener in the history of hunting! Only 8 bucks harvested.

On Sunday, I counted a maximum of 49 hunters for the day. I suspect there were less than 60 on opening day.
    Last edited by DaveGray; 08-14-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster
    Unofficial VAFB Rod & Gun Club

dukngoosehntr is offline Banned Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Contribute that to the drought over the past 5 years I cant imagine you would think it would be just as good or better then the 5 years of drought??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dukngoosehntr View Post
    Contribute that to the drought over the past 5 years I cant imagine you would think it would be just as good or better then the 5 years of drought??
    The problem goes well beyond the drought. I think this critical condition is a result of a combination of factors. In my humble opinion, I believe that many years of poor game management and the lack of predator control of coyotes and mountain lions on base are some reasons for such poor numbers. If the intent of base officials is to rid deer and feral hog hunting from the base, I think they are well on their way to accomplish that.

Every hunter out in the field needs to kill every coyote they see. Unfortunately, mountains lions are off limits in CA.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster

Thanks

Well there it is the answer:)

Thanks

FHL Is much worse . 586 hunters distributed to eighteen hunting areas (lot more did not get in) . by the end of Saturday only eight buck harvested .lowest in 30 plus years of hunting the base. predator and luck of management contribute to the decline of game in the base. coyotes everywhere + the long tail that is not being manage.

Thanks

Hunting deer in CA is awful... It is 100 degrees out and my lab weighs more then a lot of these deer. Grew up in PA and shot many whitetail before coming to CA and deciding to hunt waterfowl only and some doves too....

Not worth the time or effort to me plus its 100 degrees out No thanks BUT you guys go get em

Good Luck

Thanks

On FHL if they didn't take 50 deer on opening weekend something was wrong. That was only back in the 70's. We did well up into 1990's. Predators and an I don't care about hunting attitude.

jrod is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung
    Thanks

If the bases are federal property they should be allowed to enact their own predator management program that supersede CA, maybe

Thanks

In addition, i saw the decline when they started allowing anyone to pass through the base without being check . all three gates are open 24/7 for the two legged predator. i rule out drought because of lots of water on all reservoirs, springs and flowing water in the river . acorn are also plentiful .

Sorry for the hijack OP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brnsvllyjohn View Post
    On FHL if they didn't take 50 deer on opening weekend something was wrong. That was only back in the 70's. We did well up into 1990's. Predators and an I don't care about hunting attitude.
    50 is a low figure John. I remember many years ago if you bring a legal one year old forked horn deer in the skinning shock you will be ridiculed .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrod View Post
    If the bases are federal property they should be allowed to enact their own predator management program that supersedes CA, maybe
    CA is not the problem. Coyote hunting has always been unlimited in most of the state. Up until about 2011, killing coyotes on Vandenberg was not generally allowed. Since the policy officially changed, there has not been enough hunters taking the time to kill the coyotes on base.

I've got the gear and have no problem calling them in. I need help. I'm in the process upgrading my shotgun too. As for my 22-250, I can kill them up to 400 yards, maybe 500 but I haven't tried that yet.
    Last edited by DaveGray; 08-14-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster

Thanks

Ouch! terrible numbers for a VAFB opener. What kind of shape are the deer in?
    Life's short . . . Hunt hard

Quote Originally Posted by ltdann View Post
    I can't find a "Nuke the baby gay whales for Jesus" T-shirt anywhere!

Thanks

Predators are a huge factor so are just bad hunters, I hunted Fhl on the opener and in 3 days saw 8 legal bucks. I also know of two people that filled both of there tags Sunday. Too many people are road hunting and Ive never seen so many people walking or sitting right next to a main road trying to find a buck they are next to the roads but if you get a mile or two in and sit down and glass the rough brushy hillsides, they are there. Last year I dusted off the fox pro in December and went calling at FHL. Got"2 coyotes and 3 hunters to walk up to my call. One Hunter actually picked it up and when I asked what he was doing he said he wanted to see what was making all of the noise. That's what the coyotes do, you have to account for try when you look at the statistics.