Thread: Vandy Opening weekend!

Thanks

Default Vandy Opening weekend!

Did any one had any luck this week end?
    this was my first time hunting Vandenberg AFB and I put a lot of foot miles. Saw a bunch of Doe and spikes in all the different areas I went to. My last days' stand was short when an MP pulled up near where I was and went to sleep in his patrol car. I left for a walk and came back 2 hours later to find him still sleeping, then I left to another area . Later I Was able to find some fresh droppings and tracked them down to a fat Doe, maybe around the 150+ lbs range. No buck for me this weekend, how did everyone else do?

Thanks

I was up there for the opener. It was very slow! I'm not sure if it was the full moon or the fires, but the deer were not there. My buddy observed a fawn get taken down by coyotes. We saw one spoke buck and a bachelor group of 3 bucks. But the bucks were very spooky, which is peculiar for this time of year. I'm not sure why they were reacting that way. Anyone else have any luck up to this point.

Thanks

Was up in Vandy hunting again this past weekend. I set up Friday morning in an area were I had seen 3 bucks in a bachelor group opening weekend, but didn't encounter and deer. That evening I went up to north base in C1 after one of the gate guards said he saw quite a few deer the night before. I counted 17 deer, all does and fawns except for 2 spikes. The does with fawns all had twins, so that is a good sign. Saturday morning another hunter beat me to my spot which left me trying to figure out where to set up. Without a good 2nd spot, I cruised and glassed for a good bit of the morning, unsuccessfully.

I recently read Monicas post from last year and have to wonder if there just aren't that many bucks cruising this year or if the rainy winter and subsequent growth of new vegitation have provided more cover for them. I actually left for home Saturday afternoon. I'll be heading back for the rifle/shotgun season, but honestly don't know where to start.

Anyone else having any success? So far I think there has been only one 2x2 taken in A1.