Thread: 2017 VAFB Deer

Thanks

Default 2017 VAFB Deer

Season dates posted on the rod and gun clubs FB.

Anyone been up there at all recently? How's the heard. Obviously we've had a good winter. Curious what impact that and the fire had on the deer.
    Not sure if I'll be able to sneak up there for G11 prior to my deployment or not, but I'd like to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Initial 2017 Deer Report

Hello, Deer Hunters!

For the past two and a half weeks, Iíve been out several mornings and evenings hunting coyotes and looking for deer (mostly looking for deer). The areas I spent time in is C1, C3, C4 and C6.

I covered at least 75% of C1. On the south end, I did not see any deer. On the north end, I counted eight deer. The only area that I did not get to was the far north area around Brown Road.

I covered about 30% of C3. I did not see any deer at all. I didnít see a lot of deer out there last year either.

I covered about 50% of C6. I saw only two does and did not see any fawns. However, I did eliminate one coyote.

I covered all the east end and part of the central area of Honda Canyon in C4. The first time out, I saw two does, and this morning I saw one deer.

Before I started this, I took the time to verify my 22-250 zero at the Club and afterward I went to an overlook to look at the river bottom area. I saw two separate does, and one doe had two fawns. Those are the only fawns I have seen anywhere.

Throughout all the areas, I was surprised at the lack of coyotes. Only a few times did a coyote or two respond to my locator calls. This is a vast difference than last fall.

I didnít spend much time hiking any distance, so I cannot report on any fresh evidence of mountain lions. Considering the lack of deer, I donít know that they would have any reason to stay in the area.

My impression thus far is the deer population in these areas are very poor, maybe critical. If any of you can take the time to check out these areas, it would be nice to have more eyes to verify what I have seen. There is only one other method that can reveal a better story, and that is nighttime spotlighting.

As for me, I have decided not to deer hunt this year at VAFB.

Like last year, there is an abundance of quail in the areas I visited.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster
    Unofficial VAFB Rod & Gun Club

Thanks

Has anyone heard what is going on ? are we aloud to bring guest with us or are they leaving it wide open cutting back on the amount of hunters would be good should be Military and retired Military first see how many are going to hunt then open up to everybody else just my thought does not sound like its going to be a good year having another 200 deer killed with numbers already low from the past 4 years

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGray View Post
    Hello, Deer Hunters!

For the past two and a half weeks, Iíve been out several mornings and evenings hunting coyotes and looking for deer (mostly looking for deer). The areas I spent time in is C1, C3, C4 and C6.

I covered at least 75% of C1. On the south end, I did not see any deer. On the north end, I counted eight deer. The only area that I did not get to was the far north area around Brown Road.

I covered about 30% of C3. I did not see any deer at all. I didnít see a lot of deer out there last year either.

I covered about 50% of C6. I saw only two does and did not see any fawns. However, I did eliminate one coyote.

I covered all the east end and part of the central area of Honda Canyon in C4. The first time out, I saw two does, and this morning I saw one deer.

Before I started this, I took the time to verify my 22-250 zero at the Club and afterward I went to an overlook to look at the river bottom area. I saw two separate does, and one doe had two fawns. Those are the only fawns I have seen anywhere.

Throughout all the areas, I was surprised at the lack of coyotes. Only a few times did a coyote or two respond to my locator calls. This is a vast difference than last fall.

I didnít spend much time hiking any distance, so I cannot report on any fresh evidence of mountain lions. Considering the lack of deer, I donít know that they would have any reason to stay in the area.

My impression thus far is the deer population in these areas are very poor, maybe critical. If any of you can take the time to check out these areas, it would be nice to have more eyes to verify what I have seen. There is only one other method that can reveal a better story, and that is nighttime spotlighting.

As for me, I have decided not to deer hunt this year at VAFB.

Like last year, there is an abundance of quail in the areas I visited.
    I probably saw the same deer in C1 you did back in April. A bunch of does and a small buck.

C3 I saw a couple of does.

No pigs :[

This yote on the road.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUGAME View Post
    Has anyone heard what is going on ? are we aloud to bring guest with us or are they leaving it wide open cutting back on the amount of hunters would be good should be Military and retired Military first see how many are going to hunt then open up to everybody else just my thought does not sound like its going to be a good year having another 200 deer killed with numbers already low from the past 4 years
    As for guest, no change since last year. One guest allowed with the eligible hunter.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster
    Unofficial VAFB Rod & Gun Club

Thanks

Drove up yesterday morning, saw one doe and a small deer maybe a 1x2 while I was getting out of my truck in C1. Tons of rabbits.

Sat in the middle of C3 the rest of the day, no deer. 3 bobcats.. abundance of quail.

Gonna be here another day, last time I can hunt here. Pcs to Seattle In Oct, then I can get skunked by blacktails