Thread: Anyone hunting up in D14 this weekend?

Thanks

Default Anyone hunting up in D14 this weekend?

Anybody hunting around San G this weekend? I will be driving up there around 3pm tomorrow.

Thanks

I'm going to be hitting a couple of places, all archery (really shot gun areas) only locations. The woods are empty after the deer season closed, it's kinda nice.

Thanks

They are out there, most are enjoying the piece and quite and can really now start to hunt

Thanks

Kixracer92 what are u hunting?

Thanks

This is in the Bear Hunting forum, I would asume Bear, but could be a snipe hunt?

Thanks

Opah didn't see bear an anywhere on this post and i was not on the bear forum when I came across
    it.

Thanks

Just Messing with you a little bit, at the top you'll see Forum, Hunting, Bear hunting, and then the post
    and to the right before you click on the post shows the forum it is posted in, also top to the right when you respond
    "Quick Navigation" will say which forum.

Thanks

I was hunting bear and bobcat. I got about 3" of snow 4 miles from the truck. It was gorgeous out and i didn't run into a single huner. I came across a bear track but it was a few days old.

Thanks

Was going to head-up to D-14 this weekend but too many things going on with the holiday. I plan on getting up
    there next weekend if all goes well. Hopefully most of the campers, hikers, bikers etc. will be elsewhere as
    they were everywhere during deer season. I normally hunt the "Coon Creek" and "Seven Oaks" areas and-and if anyone wants to link-up for a hunt or cares to share some info, I will greatly appreciate it. Or know of any other areas in this state where the bear are plentiful as I'm also willing to travel to get this tag filled. My last chance to harvest a CA bear as I will be moving in May '17. (and can't wait) Thanks in advance for any and all information.

Thanks

PA.... Can't help with the bear right now. But wanted to thank you for your service. Best of luck to you in the future and whatever you have going on. Thank you sir.

Thanks

I am tentatively planning on going dec 17, 18th. I'd enjoy linking-up with someone else. I will PM you if im able to make it happen.

Thanks

Where the hell are all the bear! ive been scouting for months with no sign. last year i couldnt take one step in the forest without seeing sign. I guess they are all living in town now. lol
    All is for nothing, if not for GOD.....

"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" GENESIS 27:3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Klxracer92 View Post
    I am tentatively planning on going dec 17, 18th. I'd enjoy linking-up with someone else. I will PM you if im able to make it happen.
    Heading out at that date will be fun, but challenging. According to the below study, of bears that hibernate, half will have started hibernation by Dec 17. Still, a good portion of bears (38%) don't hibernate at all. Hopefully there will be fresh snow so you have recent tracks to work with. Good luck, and report back!

http://www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin...8/Graber_8.pdf

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post
    Where the hell are all the bear! ive been scouting for months with no sign. last year i couldnt take one step in the forest without seeing sign. I guess they are all living in town now. lol
    How high are you hunting? I spent 5 day in d14 at 6500-8000 feet back behind angelus oaks and didn't see sign or anything except a bobcat and some does. After that, I headed over to d11 and hunted below pine mountain for 4 days. Hiked the closed logging roads 10 miles, no sign, same general elevation as d14.

Got frustrated and curious at this point where on earth the bears were. While scouting earlier this year there was a ton of sign in both those areas. Now that I'm back in town I went back behind monrovia canyon park into the national forest land, which is way lower, and finally found a ton of fresh sign. I think the bears are lower. 3000 feet ish. Unfortunately all the dirty hippies hike the trails back there so I am not gonna deal with them. But it's a start.

I'm heading up to d9, around lake isabella in the next few days for 3 or 4 days. I'm a first time bear hunter as well so I'm trying to learn.

Thanks

I was up yesterday at 8,300' but no bear sign at all. I was going to go in for a long weekend backpack hunt but wasn't able to get in because there was a sheet of ice leading to the trail head... no chains for the new truck. There was about 3" of snow on the ground but still thought I would tough it out and hunt down tracks in the snow in the back country if I was able to get to the trail head. I instead drove the dirt roads covered in snow but only found tracks from a lion; A BIG ONE!!! I'm heading out locally around 7,500 - 8,000 to do a day trip and will let you all know if I see any sign. I think you guys are right that they are more active lower. I just love hunting the high country and can't help it!

Good luck guys. We still have the rest of the month to fill our tags.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huntingcali View Post
    I was up yesterday at 8,300' but no bear sign at all. I was going to go in for a long weekend backpack hunt but wasn't able to get in because there was a sheet of ice leading to the trail head... no chains for the new truck. There was about 3" of snow on the ground but still thought I would tough it out and hunt down tracks in the snow in the back country if I was able to get to the trail head. I instead drove the dirt roads covered in snow but only found tracks from a lion; A BIG ONE!!! I'm heading out locally around 7,500 - 8,000 to do a day trip and will let you all know if I see any sign. I think you guys are right that they are more active lower. I just love hunting the high country and can't help it!

Good luck guys. We still have the rest of the month to fill our tags.
    I love the high country too. Hard to get down lower but I honestly think the best bet right now is the acorns around 4000'.

Thanks

Did my day hike today looking for a Fall bear. Started at the trailhead at 8,300' and dropped down a LONG canyon that I hadn't been down before that brought me down to 6,500'. The trail kept going but I had to get back for some wind game cooking. I found a recipe on line for bear curry. I was down to my last bear roast so I did half bear and half deer. What I didn't think through was how bad my house would smell. The recipe takes 4hrs to cook and even though it's 35 degrees outside, I have the windows cracked and the fire place blazing. If this dish comes out good I might have to invest in one of those Colman outdoor cookers. I don't think my house will smell right for a while!!!

Back to the bear hunt.... found 4 rubs from 7,500' - 6,600'. One old tree had been completely beat up and had a cinnamon bear and a jet back bear using it as a scratching post. That was cool to see. I found fresh tracks right at 6,900 coming from a watering hole and followed them until I turned around at 6,500'. He wasn't real big but I'm guessing based on the size of his footprints to be about 150 - 175LBS. Definitely a shooter. I'm hoping to head back next weekend to put my game camera up to see who else is hitting the watering hole. Tracks were coming from every direction from deer and bears. The creek was dried up for a while but had this spring with a good collection of water and surrounding grass. Came back with my usual collection of trash... beer bottle and wrappers, but did find a neat coyote skull.

Hope you guys had time this weekend do get outside!

Thanks

Sounds like a lot of fun. You are getting boots on the ground and seeing a lot of stuff. I went on a little hike in d10. Lots of poo and prints up high. No snow yet and lots of pine cones on the ground. You can see all the nuts that they are eating. I found no bear as of yet. But I think a few big boys are roaming the mountain.
    Last edited by KTKT70; 12-04-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks

I was up in 14 last weekend looking for a bear. No bears but bumped into a group of 4 hounds barking up a storm. ( looking for fox) so I packed my chet and left.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huntingcali View Post
    Did my day hike today looking for a Fall bear. Started at the trailhead at 8,300' and dropped down a LONG canyon that I hadn't been down before that brought me down to 6,500'. The trail kept going but I had to get back for some wind game cooking. I found a recipe on line for bear curry. I was down to my last bear roast so I did half bear and half deer. What I didn't think through was how bad my house would smell. The recipe takes 4hrs to cook and even though it's 35 degrees outside, I have the windows cracked and the fire place blazing. If this dish comes out good I might have to invest in one of those Colman outdoor cookers. I don't think my house will smell right for a while!!!

Back to the bear hunt.... found 4 rubs from 7,500' - 6,600'. One old tree had been completely beat up and had a cinnamon bear and a jet back bear using it as a scratching post. That was cool to see. I found fresh tracks right at 6,900 coming from a watering hole and followed them until I turned around at 6,500'. He wasn't real big but I'm guessing based on the size of his footprints to be about 150 - 175LBS. Definitely a shooter. I'm hoping to head back next weekend to put my game camera up to see who else is hitting the watering hole. Tracks were coming from every direction from deer and bears. The creek was dried up for a while but had this spring with a good collection of water and surrounding grass. Came back with my usual collection of trash... beer bottle and wrappers, but did find a neat coyote skull.

Hope you guys had time this weekend do get outside!
    Can you post the curry recipe?

Thanks

Bear/deer curry came out great. Defiantly don't add more than 2 chilies. I like my food spicie, but holy cow that was hot!

https://journalofmountainhunting.com...onnor-gabbott/

Thanks

Thx! Looks good!