Thread: Where are they?

Thanks

Default Where are they?

Well, its been a fun week of hunting but where are all the bears?
    I have been all over in D14 looking for a bear and have seen plenty of sign but its all old .
    Closest I have come was being run off my fishing spot in Mammoth at Lake Mary by a nice
    sized cinnamon phase bear. Has anyone else been out? Beside the Mammoth bear, I have
    seen two rattlesnakes and three doe. Good luck and shoot straight!!!

Thanks

Been Deer Hunting and I have also noticed the lack of bear and sign so much that I opted not to get a tag this year.
    The only one I now that Hunts Bear and is very successful in D14 is Wild1, Hopefully he'll chime in for you

Thanks

Here's my chime:

Tough season so far for me. I had the best bear I've eve had on trail camera (big cinnamon) and had it patterned, but a week before the season, it bailed on me (maybe a mistake or miscalculation on my part). Stalked two other decent bears (bow hunting), but got winded on both times. Still gonna try a couple more times, but it's been a tough season so far. Get up high, and way back in the wilderness - and glass for hours, using rifle you should be able to make it happen. Good luck!

Thanks

maybe this theory is wrong but i thought the lack of dogs now would have made hunting more successful for those that dont use them. Considering that it makes it easier to find them with dogs shouldnt it make the population go up as well over the next few years?
    All is for nothing, if not for GOD.....

"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" GENESIS 27:3

Thanks

Lack of hound hunting equals reduction in big boats taken out of the system. Increase in big boats equals a huge decrease in cub survivability. As hunting decreases the so does the bear populations. Which is why areas like Kodiak have bear seasons.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor31 View Post
    Lack of hound hunting equals reduction in big boats taken out of the system. Increase in big boats equals a huge decrease in cub survivability. As hunting decreases the so does the bear populations. Which is why areas like Kodiak have bear seasons.
    Taylor, CDFW data on bear population size does not support your assertion. As of 2014 (the most recent report), the black bear population was increasing, not decreasing.

I believe abundant food sources this year have allowed bears broader foraging opportunities, so they are more dispersed, and harder to locate. Just a hypothesis.

Thanks

My son got a bear this year. Camp across from us got a bear. 2 other guys in my camp saw bears. All this in 2 days.

Thanks

Awesome. Post pics!

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses! I am definitely trying to make it happen. Been out every evening after work from 3 ish until dark. Trying to get away from the roads is tough when I have such little time.... I am so new to this stuff its like a massive puzzle that I don't have all the pieces to lol. I will definitely keep you posted on my adventures.
    Thanks again y'all

Thanks

Don't forget coming and going get with the locals, Bears are usually a problem, and they have no issues pointing you in the right direction.

Thanks

Saw TONS of bear sign opening weekend far side of Kaiser. Most of it pretty old, though. I'll be back there next year with tag in hand.

Thanks

There are tons of bears in my neck of the woods. Too many they’re feeding on any deers they can get a hold of! Bears are omnivores and opportunist so they can adapt very well 2 almost any conditions. The ban of hound hunting attributed to their out of control population growth. I recommend allowing hound hunters back to help put a little dent in their population back in check. I also recommend opening a spring season to farther help keep their population in check as well. Bears move around a whole lot. I recommend when hunting them to stay put rather then moving around too much. Good luck out there in tagging your bear.

Thanks

Well Cal Sniper? you going to throw the OP a bone? your neck of the woods would be?

Thanks

picture wouldn't post????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OPAH; 10-20-2016 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks

Well, I made it out for another two days and once again, tons of deer sign and limited bear sign. Am I wrong to be hunting areas with lots of deer sign? I figure that a bear and a deer need the same essentials (bed,food,water) right? I am starting to wonder if carrying a bear tag is the ultimate defense against bears lol..... Here's to hoping it cools down a little, these hikes are kicking my butt

Thanks

Your hunting D14, Have you tried back up behind Seven Oaks? that area Historically has bears.
    I know its not high and I never heard of a huge bear coming out of there, but there are bears

Thanks

Opah, yeah, I have been back behind the dam and am working my way through Thomas Hunting Grounds. I was planning on hitting the dirt roads that shoot off of Glass rd this weekend. I don't want a huge bear, it would be my first big game animal ever, but I don't want to shoot one that is tiny either lol. maybe 200-250lbs? I am sure that when I see one it won't matter anyways lol.
    Thanks!

Thanks

Check your PM

Thanks

Hey Opah, I didn't get any messages. I had to skip the hunt this evening due to my wife getting a concussion =/ hope to be back at it tomorrow

Thanks

Well, another short hunt in the books this morning. Family obligations had me leaving right as the rain started.... I wish I could have stayed out a while longer. Saw one doe and talked to the warden but that's it. I think I am cursed lol. The worst day hunting is still better than the best day working. Till next time!

Thanks

Drop me an E-mail and I can send some Arial and location
    unight2@sbcglobal.net

Thanks

Email sent, thanks again OPAH

Thanks

The bears are where you find them ........every time = )

sorry , I could'nt help myself.

BOW
    ~The Bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding Bureaucracy~

-Oscar Wilde-

Thanks

Keep at it il be trying my best after my deer season ends.