Thread: good chance to get a bear here

Thanks

Default good chance to get a bear here

I don't bear hunt but I camp out a lot and off hwy 108 about 4 1/2 miles in from the turnoff to Niagara Creek there's a dispersed camping site on the right of the road (it's the 2nd campsite)(this is past the OHV campground) it's too small for an RV and you'll have to carry your tent a few feet past the rocks blocking the site from OHVs. I've camped there at least 10 times this summer and some damn bear comes by at least 9 of those times. I saw him one morning and I'd estimate 400+ pounds. There are so many branches on the ground on the other side of the creek (dry now) that he makes a real racket when he comes by breaking them. During the week there are hardly any campers in this area. Weekends with more people he's less likely to show. He's becoming a nuisance bear. Last night he came by so I shot my shotgun and he doesn't even leave until I get out of my tent again and shoot it two more times. I don't even cook or eat in camp because I don't like him disturbing my sleep but he's trained to make the rounds of that area from other campers. Also on the hill to the left of the road (going in) if you hike up to where there is an area of just rocks with no vegitation you'll see one of the big rocks he likes to rest under. I was debating on leaving him be and not posting but he's just too dependent on scouring the campsites. If anyone gets him let me know his size. I estimated him to be 600 pounds but notched it down to 400 pounds since I don't hunt bears and might have overestimated his size from fear of seeing him eyeball me from 20 yards away when I had just gotten up and was taking my morning piss.

Oh yeah and earlier this summer there was a real pretty cinnamon red coat medium sized bear in Snow Coral meadow over past Shaver Lake but before Courtright. Generally there's a lot of wildlife and not much hunters there because you have to walk a ways in instead of driving an OHV in. I've heard mountain lion crys there multiple times.

Thanks

I've seen some pretty big bears in that area!! I would imagine a bear like that probably tastes pretty rank due to what he is feeding off of.

Thanks

Sounds like a trash eater, unless his coat is really nice or unusual most will pass

Thanks

The seasons over so that bears probably done. I'm looking for a bear to make a rug. If you see any while deer hunting let me know.

Thanks

Lots of bears along 108. I saw one chasing a doe at dusk and I talked to a couple other hunters and they said they had 2 stalks on bucks spoiled by bears chasing after the bucks. I didn't think bears would chase full grown deer like that. North of Kennedy Meadow seems like most of the bears I've seen have a brown color to them.

Thanks

Bears will eat. When I lived in MacDoel there was a bear that was killing yearling colts.

Thanks

image.jpg this made me think twice about bear hunting. Lol

Thanks

If you're deer hunting... you're in the same areas they are in anyway. Them.. and Mt. Lions.
    Last edited by TheGDog; 10-05-2016 at 05:15 PM.
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog
    "The Wise man can learn from even the Fool." - TheGDog

Thanks

Yes. That's true. Lucky for us the bear that made the big track is not in California. Not like the smaller brown bear couldn't do some real harm also.

Thanks

I remember reading something about the width of the track being a short cut to its weight? don't remember how that worked but wasn't calculus

Thanks

I put my Costco card in the pic to show size. The Alaska black bear print was much bigger than I would have ever thought of. The smaller prints are Cali brown bear of different ages. I asked the ranger if he had any numbers to go with the prints but he said no.

Thanks

Width of track + 1 is said to equal length of the bear. Not sure if I'm remembering right how that length is measured... but I seem to recall they meant the "square" ya get when you cape one for a rug.
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog

Thanks

So what's the dealio with you all saying "trash eater" bears taste pretty rank? What do we mean by "taste pretty rank"? Does their meat have a stink? Or is there a foul taste to it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGDog View Post
    So what's the dealio with you all saying "trash eater" bears taste pretty rank? What do we mean by "taste pretty rank"? Does their meat have a stink? Or is there a foul taste to it?
    For some reason bear meat smells like what they eat. My last one was killed close to a salmon run crick. It smelled like fish.

The ones i harvested in previous years were delicious.

Thanks

We are what we eat. They are the same way. A bear next to camp eats leftovers out of the trash bins. The thought is that the meat will not be so good due to the junk trash diet.

Thanks

Left over smores, bacon grease, chicken bones, plastic and soiled diapers. Yum yums, really like the diapers some them are salty and sweet.
    There wasn't enough room in the boat.

Thanks

The last bear I shot and its been a while, feed on Wild apples, beeries there were no dump sites in 60 + miles, he was young about two years my estimate and very lean. but he's meat was very Tasty, he stunk but all bears stink, not the meat the hide.

CHAD PEZZLE is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KTKT70 View Post
    I put my Costco card in the pic to show size. The Alaska black bear print was much bigger than I would have ever thought of. The smaller prints are Cali brown bear of different ages. I asked the ranger if he had any numbers to go with the prints but he said no.
    You've got things backwards. The large print is from an Alaskan Brown Bear, the smaller one is a Black Bear. California hasn't had brown bears (Grizzlies) in decades, we only have black bears here in California. However, they can come in many different sizes and colors.