Thread: Too big ??

Thanks

Default Too big ??

We went on a 2 day deer scouting trip this past week and did see a few deer but we also saw a very large bear. My buddy got all excited about how big the bear was so we had the discussion about shooting it. I do not think I am interested in shooting a really large bear at this point. He said he would love to shoot it even with his bow. My reasoning is I can no longer retrieve an animal of that size if it is very far from the truck and in my experience a smaller bear is better eating. My personal preference would be a 200 pound bear and not a 450 pound bear. So would you turn down a bear because it is too big? My son and I turned down a couple of bears last year because the retrieve would have been brutal but nothing as large as this guy was. We did see another bear that was 250+- and it would be a maybe for me to shoot.

Thanks

I would say It depends on the distance from the truck, the time of day, difficulty of the location of the retrieve and the environment it is in, i.e desert, forest etc. . This time of year can get very hot, very early in some zones.
    "Let no man be ashamed to kneel in the great out of doors, remember the woods were Gods first temples" : Ernest Hemingway

Thanks

That's what she said. :)

You should really fill your bear tag each year if you can.

Thanks

I get what your saying about having to drag it out in bad terrain. But I've yet to get a bear, so if I see one out there during the season Im gonna do my best to take it.

Thanks

I'll shoot it, the fun's the pack out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CL&RR View Post
    I'll shoot it, the fun's the pack out.
    The toughest pack out I have ever done was on a large bear and I really have no intention of repeating something that difficult again. I am 15 years older now and not nearly as tough as I was then. Big difference between being in your forties and being in your sixties. A big bear IMHO is 3 times the work as a decent sized deer meaning 6 trips instead of 2 trips for me or one trip if you totally bone the deer but I usually make 2 trips now. I never save the hide on the deer but on a bear you have to at least bring the entire head out and usually you bring the entire hide.

Mr. Luckypants I do agree with you in principle but if I cannot retrieve it before it spoils I won't shoot it. On my archery hunt if the nights aren't getting really cold I will not spoil my deer hunt to bring a bear home to process. For me shooting a bear in archery season is not likely and unfortunately last year the only bears I saw were really early in the season and I felt it was too hot.

Thanks

I would have a hard time passing on a nice large bruin. Certainly the logistics of packing it out would go through my head, but I'd deal with it regardless.

Thanks

Don't hunt bear but i'm with you John.
    You have to place some restrictions on your hunting to insure you can get all the meat out in prime condition.
    Similar to deer hunting on the last day of your hunt, I wouldn't hunt until the end of legal shoot time miles from the truck because if you do get a deer down your not making it to work the next day.
    There wasn't enough room in the boat.

Thanks

You have to do what's right for you. Having said that, the two most over estimated weights for big game, are wild hogs and bear - but that doesn't make the pack out any easier!

Thanks

I'm just hoping to come across a bear that's respectable enough for a first-ever take. But I'm not bashful, as long as he's legal, I figure since it'd be my first " 'das alright!"

If it happens to be ginormous... I'll try my darndest to pack out as much as I can... but realistically there'd be no way to pack it all out by myself. This place I've been hikin' down into is 7 miles downhill and something like 1850ft elevation change.

That means 7-miles all uphill to get out of there! I figure if it's a large bear (not likely bigger than 300-350) I'll probably have to wait until dark before I even attempt the hike out. Lots of the hike-out has you exposed to direct sun. And it's soo long that there's like no way you (I) could turn around and go back down and do it again. I've also been looking into wheeled pack-out solutions.

My brother is an excellent welder, works on fabricating parts for AC Cobras all day long. I've seen a system based on 1 MtnBike wheel that has like an extendable handlebar-type yoke to it. Figured I'd have him fab-up one of those for me perhaps, so I'm not totally dying on the packout. They look like they wouldn't weight much at all, and at the very least it could get the pack off my shoulders on the hikeout, since it's soo long.

The other thought I had was leap-frogging two bags filled with the meat. If I had to. but probably would be foolish to attempt that though :/
    Last edited by TheGDog; 08-08-2016 at 04:28 PM.
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog
    "The Wise man can learn from even the Fool." - TheGDog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrunner View Post
    Don't hunt bear but i'm with you John.
    You have to place some restrictions on your hunting to insure you can get all the meat out in prime condition.
    Similar to deer hunting on the last day of your hunt, I wouldn't hunt until the end of legal shoot time miles from the truck because if you do get a deer down your not making it to work the next day.
    Work will just have to understand. Thankfully they did too :)
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
    I would have a hard time passing on a nice large bruin. Certainly the logistics of packing it out would go through my head, but I'd deal with it regardless.
    'Das what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Thanks

Man I wish I had that apportunity

Thanks

Yes, there is definitely too big for me. I've wondered if I would even be capable of rolling a big bear onto its back to skin and quarter. Bears in the 500-600 lb range have been taken in Tahoe, for example.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild1 View Post
    You have to do what's right for you. Having said that, the two most over estimated weights for big game, are wild hogs and bear - but that doesn't make the pack out any easier!
    I would agree with the fact that a lot of weights are over estimated. Doesn't really matter how heavy the bear was it was way too big for me. I have helped on a bear that at the butcher we had 350 pounds +- of meat hide and head. My estimate was this bear was bigger but we will never know. I fish a lot and guys will tell you their bass weighed 5 pounds until you put it on a scale and the scale reads 3 pounds so I understand. I do have a scale at home and weigh all of the big game just for kicks but I rarely bring in animals that aren't boned out anymore. Too difficult to retrieve whole.

Thanks

Boned-out is the only option at my disposal, since usually am solo. Quite the interesting feeling nervously panning 360 at intervals watching-out for predators (which I saw 10 minutes before the shot) while skinning and then chopping-up a critter alone in the dark with no one around for miles. Fueled by the mixture of joy, adrenalin and nerves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGDog View Post
    Quite the interesting feeling nervously panning 360 at intervals watching-out for predators (which I saw 10 minutes before the shot) while skinning and then chopping-up a critter alone in the dark with no one around for miles.
    Thats when you know you're a real man right there..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dthome View Post
    Yes, there is definitely too big for me. I've wondered if I would even be capable of rolling a big bear onto its back to skin and quarter. Bears in the 500-600 lb range have been taken in Tahoe, for example.
    They have these neat things called "levers"... you can even use a nearby branch as one! :) (Sorry, you made that one too easy for me! Hehe.)

Thanks

Pain is weakness leaving the body...and fosters appreciation for the experience.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGDog View Post
    They have these neat things called "levers"... you can even use a nearby branch as one! :) (Sorry, you made that one too easy for me! Hehe.)
    All I can do is chuckle, Gdog. If you're successful with a 500lb bear, you'll quickly understand why a treebranch will not easily solve your problems. It is more difficult than you think to maneuver a large animal's dead weight when you're trying to piece it apart and remove the hide by yourself. It's maddening, actually. You'll find out soon enough. I have hunch it might come together for you this year. :)

Incidentally, I've killed bears whose hide and skull were all I could bear in terms of weight. If you shoot a monster while hunting solo, you will need more than two trips, even with boned meat.

Thanks

The largest bear we did took 2 guys 3 trips each with 60 pounds +- per trip. No we did not bone it out but even if we did the hide and head weighed 80 pounds or so and you cannot reduce that by much if you want a rug. Not a really long pack out but very steep lava rock so not easy. Most of the day for 2 guys and we called ahead to the butcher so he would stay open for us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dthome View Post
    All I can do is chuckle, Gdog. If you're successful with a 500lb bear, you'll quickly understand why a treebranch will not easily solve your problems. It is more difficult than you think to maneuver a large animal's dead weight when you're trying to piece it apart and remove the hide by yourself. It's maddening, actually. You'll find out soon enough. I have hunch it might come together for you this year. :)

Incidentally, I've killed bears whose hide and skull were all I could bear in terms of weight. If you shoot a monster while hunting solo, you will need more than two trips, even with boned meat.
    Definitely maddening... especially if you mess up and disconnect the bones pinnings before removing that section of hide (Doh!)

Hide and skull only being 80 Lbs huh? Eesh.

QUESTIONS:
    ========
    Well... I just asked this in another post.... how long can a person expect the meat to not go bad in high 80's low 90's (F) weather temps, hangin' in a meat bag in shade somewhere? Realistically, wouldn't it start to go bad by the next day?

Do you guys cape the hide off the skull right then and there out in the field? Since ya gotta eventually present the skull to DFG for a while. Or do you wait and keep the skull and hide intact together and bother to do that once you get home? (Hrmm, wonder if also wouldn't perhaps be beneficial to take out the eyeballs, tongue and brain out in the field to save weight?

You guys keep the paw bones intact when caping right? For the taxidermist to be able to do his thing?

RE: weight... I figure total weight I could possibly manage... and that'd be pushing it drastically... with an inordinant number of rest breaks... would be like 140 Lbs total pack weight maybe? And that would be absolutely murderous. Definitely a one-trip only dealio at those distances. Would be purposefully doped up with Ketoprofen, Ibuprofen and Tylenol #3's. Maybe bring along 1 liter of Water+Aminos that has the Caffeine and Taurine in it as well.

Ugh... I need a hunting buddy near LA again.

Thanks

PS... yeah... your left arm gets one heckuva workout holding/pulling the hide away from the body where the right hand does all that cutting. I noticed that last year.