Thread: Shooting a bear

Thanks

Default Shooting a bear

Looking for some tips on shooting a bear. I have purchased a few bear tags in past hunts, but never filled a bear tag. That's not to say that I couldn't however. On most occasions, I passed for various reasons, but this year if the situation is right, I will take one. One year I passed because I was too far from camp, by myself and the bear was huge. Another time, it was opening day, and the bear I had my scope on was in the general direction to another hunter who wandered into the area I was hunting. With that being said, I was curious about how some of you guys hunt bears. For example, where do you aim? What caliber do you use? If successful, what methods do you use to pack the bear out? What are your favorite parts of the bear to eat? Thanks for any input you may have! Be safe out there!

Thanks

Hey Ball coach, I am not a "Bear Hunter", I hunt Deer and If a Bear crosses my path then I hunt bear.
    much debate on the shot, I will take the lung shot Bigger area to hit.
    I am usually not by myself some I have assistance wit in a radio call to drag, carry or quarter it out to be carried, so packing it out we'll leave to the ones that do it. I love the meat all was good, but if I had to pick Back straps, hind quarters and neck.
    I shoot a 30/06 165 grain, use non-lead all the time now figure it is going o be that way soon any how.
    Good luck with your Hunts and I know you will get a ton of great info here.
    You may want to watch this!
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=VDMCNR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OPAH; 07-11-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks

Thanks

Break it down and also take the out the engine room while you're at it, that means a shoulder shot in the vitals. The main advice I can give is that their coat can make the target area appear larger than it is so stay focused on the core vital area when you shoot especially if it's broadside and also shoot again if he's still moving. A bears will to live is much greater than a deer and he knows what to do to when he's wounded....with a marginal hit, tracking a wounded bear is not fun.

Thanks

For all you guys that have shot a Bear... and witnessed how much punishment they can take first-hand... what would you say the realistic minimum caliber should be to attempt taking a bear?
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog
    "The Wise man can learn from even the Fool." - TheGDog

Thanks

22LR
    50BMG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGDog View Post
    For all you guys that have shot a Bear... and witnessed how much punishment they can take first-hand... what would you say the realistic minimum caliber should be to attempt taking a bear?

Ain't legal, but if it was a .22 would be fine for black bears.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

45-70 Govt is what the guides all carry.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

I'm a bow hunter, so there are better authorities, but I do know a few things..... Smallest I would use would be a .243, but only with quality, well constructed bullets. I guess my question would be, why...? Unless one has a shoulder issue, or just can't handle significant recoil, I'd move up to the tried and true, .308, 30.06.......and so on.

Thanks

I am assuming a .30-.30 would be fine for a ca black bear right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild1 View Post
    I'm a bow hunter, so there are better authorities, but I do know a few things..... Smallest I would use would be a .243, but only with quality, well constructed bullets. I guess my question would be, why...? Unless one has a shoulder issue, or just can't handle significant recoil, I'd move up to the tried and true, .308, 30.06.......and so on.
    +1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ball Coach View Post
    What are your favorite parts of the bear to eat?

I had never eatten bear meat I cared for. So when I finally got one, I just boned out every bit of it and put it in my Bradley smoker. Best jerky I have ever made, and it lasted for over a year (even though I was always sharing it with friends and family).
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild1 View Post
    Yep... my shoulders are ok for now... but... both clavicles have "customizations" to them (hehe) and I had arthoscopic on my shooting side due to a partial labral tear. When they were in there... they shaved off a decent amount of the distal end of my clavicle... a sub-acromonial decompression... so that the clavicle was no longer gouging into the top of that distal end into the bursa sac. Used to be that doing a military press would feel like someone was stabbing me with a spear into the shoulder. That issue is significantly better now... but the surgery created a significant amount of "looseness" and free-play in the shoulder joint as a result... so if I'm doing like a dumbbell chest press... when the weight gets higher... its the musculature that is fighting to hold my shoulder in place, rather than the various tendons and ligaments holding everything nice and tightly together as per normal.

The .308 is cool and everything. Did it's job nicely last year. It just hurts a lil bit to shoot it much when practicing because of the abnormal bend of my clavicle on that side. The butt of the rifle comes to rest on a much much smaller contact patch of area due to the tenting caused by that prior clavicle fracture and the severe tenting/bend/sticky-up-nature to the bone it left behind on that side. It's especially bad if I'm shooting prone. At the end of two boxes with the .308 when prone... It hurts quite a bit and I then develop a significantly dark bruise shortly after... since the butt of the rifle comes to rest on essentially my clavicle only with a thin layer of skin... rather than that energy resting against my trapezius (when prone) or my pectoral muscle (in upright positions).

So... it is with an eye to the future that I bothered to ask the question of realistic minimum. I feel certain that as time wears on this will probably start hurting more.

I caught rheumatic fever (aka scarlet fever) when I was a kid. Like 9yo I think. It's an auto-immune disease where it makes your body attack itself while it's trying to fight that virus. Typically joints and heart-valves suffer a bit. Thankfully my heart-valves are fine. But it definitely attacked my joints.

As a result my joints aren't as good as I think they should be for my age. It can be quite noisy as hell sometimes walking down the hallway at night going to the bathroom. And... when I hunt... I take additional NSAIDS on top of the ones I take everyday.

I rode a lot of BMX MtnBikes DirtBikes in the Desert and the resulting crashes that come along with that. One of my hip sockets took a hard jamming one time that saved me from crashing. But took its toll. I have to be careful not to subject them to shock. One time I jumped down off a rock with my hunting pack on onto my feet. Big freakin' mistake. Not to be repeated anymore.

Also up into my high 30's I was still pushing it hard in the Gym. Then I broke the other clavicle out in Victorville when my boy was 6mo old so I had them plate it so I'd heal faster. So I've got titanium over on that side too. Then in 2011 that labral tear occurred.

When I've gone out specifically looking for bear I started using a .30-30 I bought specifically for that purpose. I bought that gun because of this one game trail I decided to follow that had bear sign... it just kept getting tighter and tighter and tighter the farther up into it I went and that .308 bolt-gun with the scope started feeling longer and longer the more up into it I went. I started to realize I don't think I'd be able to whip it into action quickly enough on that particular game trail because you had no greater than 25-feet of straight-away visibility at any one point on it. So that day... since I was solo and a n00b... I decided to back outta there. And that whole event inspired me to go get a "brush-gun".

Anyway... the .30-30 is nice. A step down in recoil from the .308, but it still can hurt a bit if shooting prone for more than 1 box. But I know they don't have good trajectories for longer-distance shots. So anyway, I've been considering maybe getting a .243 or maybe a 7mm-08 in the future to ease-up on the recoil maybe. We'll see. So just wanted to pose that question of what is the realistic real-world minimum that somebody who has seen a Bear get shot would recommend.
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog
    "The Wise man can learn from even the Fool." - TheGDog

Thanks

I hunted bear for a few years over hounds. Everyone in my group used either a 45-70 or slug gun. If you are going to be up close those are my choices. If you are deer hunting and run across one I would prefer to use a 30 cal. Head shot or right behind the front shoulder. If it's a bad shot wait it out ! a wounded bear is nothing to mess with. I can't emphasis enough to be careful on a wounded bear. They are faster than you think both at running and swinging those claws. As for getting one out of the field if you have help a dog leash on each of the rear paws works great But, you will mess up the hide dragging. If you are gonna pack it out Skin it out around the belly and back detatch the front and rear arms at the shoulders leaving the hide on them cut the head off at the base so you have a hide with front and rear shoulders and a head. Also cut out the back straps and pack that out. I make sausage out of my bears it is really good in chili beans and jerky although I have an uncle that makes a great bear roast. Hope this helps, Good Luck !