Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too small?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrunner View Post
    It's called depth perception and it's not a secret held only by seasoned bear hunters that take trophy photos. The angle of the shot has less to do with the fact that bear is in the foreground and thus makes it looks bigger and the road look smaller. Taking that into account the bear looks a bit bigger than my lab with a bigger head, bigger neck, bigger gut, bigger rump and larger legs. My Lab weighs 67lbs. I never said the bar was a monster just think it's over 50 for sure.
    ......and I never said it was a secret held only by seasoned bear hunters.

Thanks

.....and did someone say you did? You did highlight "seasoned" in your post that described depth perception, so it has some kind of importance? I was trying to show that depth perception is common knowledge and that it was taken into account when I estimating the size on the bear being over 50lbs.
    I'm not a bear hunter but have seen plenty of bear in the woods, some of them were very close. As i'm not a bear hunter i have never put one on a scale and that's why i used my lab as a measuring tool.
    I'll respect your estimate of under 50lbs, but I disagree.
    There wasn't enough room in the boat.

Thanks

Im not a bear hunter yet. Although Im going bear hunting this year, would that make me a bear hunter, even if Im unsuccessfull? I wonder haha... To me a larger to mid-sized bear would be great to get, but honestly if I get a good shot at any legal bear, Im gonna take it. I'd say a smaller bear is better than no bear.

Thanks

.....and did someone say you did? You did highlight "seasoned" in your post that described depth perception, so it has some kind of importance? I was trying to show that depth perception is common knowledge and that it was taken into account when I estimating the size on the bear being over 50lbs.
    I'm not a bear hunter but have seen plenty of bear in the woods, some of them were very close. As i'm not a bear hunter i have never put one on a scale and that's why i used my lab as a measuring tool.
    I'll respect your estimate of under 50lbs, but I disagree.
    Yes, Bankrunner, you did!! This is your quote ".....it's not a secret held only by seasoned bear hunters...." Except, I never wrote that. I just wrote that "....seasoned bear hunters use this pose." That's a big difference. I'm fine with disagreement(s), I've learned that, on this forum, there are many different opinions, and lots of them come from hunters who have no experience with the specie(s) being discussed.

Thanks

I feel like we're in the sandbox, you?
    How did we get dragged away from the meat and potatoes of our original discussion....the size of the bear?
    I never said you wrote it, I stated this.... "It's called depth perception and it's not a secret held only by seasoned bear hunters that take trophy photos." That says what is says, it's a factual statement not an opinion or a quote.
    Here is another factual statement. A person that does not hunt bear can know a lot about bear habitat and bear behavior.

Thanks

You're right about not hunting bears and knowing about habitat and behavior - completely possible (lots of biologist do just that). But, in my experience, the two most over-estimated size/weight game animals, are hogs and bears - hands down, not even close. Just read this thread, or many others - hunters routinely writing about 400lb.+ bears, which are incredibly rare in the wild (even in Canada), yet they seem to be all over the CA. forests. Using your lab for reference might be original and/or a novel approach, but it's far from being reliable - especially if your frame of reference isn't based on real-life experiences (like using a scale).

Thanks

I'm calling it a truce, this question is for everybody>

What's one of the most admirable things a big male black bear does?????
    Last edited by Bankrunner; 08-10-2016 at 09:10 PM. Reason: delivery

Thanks

I'm calling it a truce, this question is for everybody>

What's one of the most admirable things a big male black bear does?????
    It eats, roots, shoots and leaves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12