Thread: When do you start scouting for fall season?

Thanks

Default When do you start scouting for fall season?

Hey everyone. I'm itching for California fall season, and would like to have a plan to start scouting a few areas that I discovered last season. Is any time too early? Any recommendations?

Thanks

New areas ASAP, get the time In, get familiar with the terrain and Plan for the heat. Pack in water ahead of time, trim the trails, find the high spots to Glass from. Also great for shaking out your gear and losing the little extra the weight ad prepping your body for what your about to out it through.
    Do not stink up the area, same as hunting, scent control, quite in, quite out wind in your face as much as possible.
    Last edited by OPAH; 06-03-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks

x2 -> Pack in water ahead of time that you leave there for the day of. It was soo nice to have that extra water there at my spot last year!
    Also maybe hike-in your ground-blind fabric and poles too. Less weight to carry on the day of.

Trim your path thru the bushes so you can get to the nice vantage point you've found really quietly on the day of.

Also... if you have to cut thru some bushes for helping you to get into a sniping spot quietly on the day of... you don't necessarily want to cut a straight line thru the brush... you don't want to make it obvious to other hunters that might happen to walk thru the same area "Hey this is a good spot to set up!". It would really suck to show up the morning of and have somebody else already in your spot.

So clear your path in a zigzig pattern to some degree so its not blatantly obvious to other humans who might hike by.
    Last edited by TheGDog; 06-03-2016 at 05:15 PM.
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog
    "The Wise man can learn from even the Fool." - TheGDog

Thanks

It's not too early to get out, but it's way too early to draw firm conclusions based on your scouting results. The fall berry crop has not yet fruited, so bears are not feeding in those areas yet, though it may be in their home range. I guarantee, they will be there when there are berries in the fall. In fact, for certain favored food resources, bears know EXACTLY when the food is ripe, and will make great journeys right at the moment food is available. Also, where I hunt, bears are currently spending time feeding in the still wet meadows where there is an abundance of new forbs and shoots. They don't linger in those same meadows in the fall.

You've just got to figure out how bears behave in your area. One size does not fit all. For example, you've probably read people say that bears need water, so hunt by water. This might make sense for them, but it doesn't for me. I know exactly where bears are in my area, and it's nowhere near water from a human perspective. Small streams are seldom more than a couple miles from any given location where I hunt. Bears can get that water easily, and they're only going to spend a few seconds drinking. Eating, however, is a different story. They will spend hours fattening up for the winter at any given time. That's where I want to be.

Opah gives good advice. Don't spend too much time in an area. They know when you've been there. Don't make them skittish.

Thanks

At the opening, why waste time

Thanks

I'm already scouting for bears, but i haven't found any sign yet but im narrowing down places Can't beat hiking in the mountains. Have fun and work hard!

Thanks

I too have been thinking about scouting. But the question is, will the bears be in the same places in a couple months?

Thanks

Cameras going out next week. Got more bears than deer on my cameras last year, fingers crossed for 2016.

Thanks

When you find a spot that has highly coveted foods at it. Stop, and look around you.

Where is the wind coming from?

Where are the shadows falling? What angle is the sun at?

Where might you be able to perch yourself to be able to overlook that spot for a shot opportunity, without winding it, and without your shadow being cast upon it or readily visible?

Looking at the terrain, what path would the bear most likely be coming from on his way to this spot?

Sometimes the perfect spot to make the shot from (a cliff overlooking it?), you cannot get to easily/readily from that spot (down there) where the food is. Search and find the path you must take on the hike-in, in order to get yourself to that perch location on the day of.

I mentioned highly coveted foods, how long will those foods be around though with relation to the time of year?
    Example: Had this area where I had 2 face-to-face encounters with bear in one day! It was during the summer (it was actually within Bear Archery Season, didn't know that, only had pistol with me, we were scouting for deer sign, Doh!) when choke-cherries were ripe and ready.
    I placed up cameras, confirmed activity. Yes!
    But when I went back there in General Season, the fall. Didn't manage to see them.
    Noticed the choke-cherries were all either gone or pretty much gone now.
    While sitting there, listening to the acorns drop, wondering if I was going to be hit on the head, and thinking about other places I'd seen massive amounts of acorns...
    It dawns on me. "Gary, why would they come thru here now? They could get acorns in even higher concentrations at other places you saw where the timber is denser, greater canopy, and they'd be less exposed."
    Also, thinking about that summer bear encounter. I'm thinking most normal hikers are going to be less motivated to go hiking to these spots where you're hiking thru long open-to-the-sun areas of intense heat, in order to eventually then get to this spot that had the choke-cherries and water and shade. So I'm thinking the human foot-traffic would be almost non-existent... during that particular period of time. So it started making more and more sense to me why I didn't happen to see any bears on my return visit.
    Last edited by TheGDog; 06-08-2016 at 11:17 AM.
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog
    "The Wise man can learn from even the Fool." - TheGDog