Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bear Hunting in D14 tips/advice

Thanks

Okay, I'm wrong. Bait is considered any product that can be considered a food source (from the animals perspective), based on the way DFW is viewing bait. As such, cover scents like skunk scent would be legal to use, in any manner, as would bear in heat. But acorn scent, or any other scent that a mamal couold consider food, or cause it to feed, whether there is feed or not, is illegal. My appologies for causing so much confusion.

Thanks

So Doe In heat on a scent wick Is legal, there Is no promise of feeding? I know wrong because the Intent Is different from the Text

Thanks

OPAH, my point, and admission of being wrong, is in reference to F&W changing their view on what bait is. Clearly in the past, any scent sprayed into the air was considered legal. They are now re-defining bait, and now looking at it from the animals perspective, i.e., anything the animal might consider a food source, even if food is non-existent (food scents sprayed into the air). Thus,given the new view of bait, anything that could be considered a food source, even a piece of art, such as a painting that can be mistaken for food, by any animal, would, under today's DFW be considered baiting. But frankly, if your going to enforce a no baiting law, you MUST be able to define it. As such, if Bankrunner is correct, and there is no definition of Bait, then baiting cannot be enforced at the courtroom level anyway. In short, there has to be a definition of bait; and that definition has changed from years past.

Thanks

OPAH, F&W is clearly moving from a "causes them to feed" stance to a anticipates food stance (from the animals perspective).

Thanks

I think maybe the best answer is like someone said, find the game warden in the area you hunt and ask him his opinion on it. At the end of the day, its up to the warden and the courts to decide

Thanks

Yep they will cite as many as they can, many will never be challenged, many others will lose and very few will be over turned and that Is how you change Past Practice. They have prepared, they have changed definitions and they are now citing Harassment of wildlife ( anything that may change their normal behavior ) and it will not stop at that! once they have scents banned and it is accepted they will start looking at Passive behaviors they deem to disturb the wildlife.
    (MONEY!) Did I hear someone say they wouldn't give up the money from Hunting, fishing, these Loons as RTG said are not CDFW are not the Biologists and they could give a Rats ass if revenue is lost, they want to put and end to the Murdering of all the innocent animals period! they have organized, they have gotten the power to make changes in the regulations and like it or not the Game Wardens will have to cite people like it or not. as I said the winds have changed and we are sailing into a storm.

Thanks

Here are a couple more

Here is one more from Carrie, written in 2010, published in a Redding news Paper:

News
    Carrie Wilson: Select right scent to attact bears

Posted: Sept. 04, 2010 0
    Q: I know you can't bait bears but can I use any scents (liquids or sprays)?
    ? Kendon A.
    A: Yes, you can use scent attractants when taking bears, but use extreme caution in your selection and use of a scent product. Under some circumstances and depending on the nature of the product you use, it could be classified as bait. Aerosols sprayed into the air and not onto any solid surface are probably the safest types to consider.
    "Baited area" is defined as "Any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for 10 days following complete removal of all such corn, wheat or other grains, salt or other feed."

According to Department of Fish and Game retired Capt. Phil Nelms, using any substance that can be seen or felt and not just smelled (e.g. liquids that do not immediately evaporate, scented pastes or gels, even aerosols sprayed onto trees or leaves) may be sufficient reason to classify them as "feed" because they can be eaten or can entice the animal to consume the surface on which the scent is deposited.

This next one was published in a Santa Barbara Paper in November 0f 2010:

Outdoors Q&A: Can Scent Attractants Be Considered Bait?

If a product causes the game to chew on, lick or nibble at the surface to which it is applied, it falls under the definition of feed

By Carrie Wilson | November 28, 2010 | 12:15 a.m.

Q: I understand the baiting issue, but I would like clarification on deer and elk attractant scents, such as Tink’s or Buck Bombs. There are also scents for bears, hogs and predators, and I want to be in full compliance for whatever I’m hunting for. (Michael J., Mojave)
    Carrie Wilson

A: California Fish and Game Commission regulations don’t specifically prohibit using the products you mention. However, the regulations do prohibit taking resident game birds and mammals within 400 yards of any baited area.
    The definition of baited area is “any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for 10 days following complete removal of all such corn, wheat or other grains, salt or other feed.”
    According to retired Department of Fish & Game Capt. Phil Nelms, scents sprayed into the air and allowed to disperse over a wide area in the wind generally don’t fall within the definition of bait. Scent products that have to be applied directly to a surface such as a rock, tree or bush generally cause the game to come to that specific place, and if they feed on it, it is bait.
    So, if the product you use causes the game to chew on, nibble at, lick, etc., the surface to which it is applied, it is “feed” and as such falls within the definition of bait. In that case, you are prohibited from taking (e.g., hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill or attempt any of those actions) game within 400 yards of that area.

Thanks

OPAH, hunting is a legal activity, and as such, is an exception to the anti harassment law. Frankly, I think that one was long over due. Perhaps now, some of the eco tourists in our national parks will be cited, you know, the ones that want to get a picture of them petting, riding, feeding... the wildlife. Hummm, could camping change an animals normal behavior?

Thanks

You got It, It may take some time, Its a wave already heading towards us and It Is building In strength and speed. For a lot It won't become a threat until the tsunami warning goes off and by then its much to late!

Thanks

Well, I think maybe I should just forget about using scents.. Covering my own scent is gonna be the hard part, thats the question. I mean you can make your hunting gear scent free, or mostly, but hiking around in August with a pack and a bow, Im bound to sweat in the field.. Perhaps some scent-free wipes? A customer of mine gave a a container of Primos scent removing wet wipes, but I only recently found them in the garage, maybe that could help..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MariotheBarber View Post
    Well, I think maybe I should just forget about using scents.. Covering my own scent is gonna be the hard part, thats the question. I mean you can make your hunting gear scent free, or mostly, but hiking around in August with a pack and a bow, Im bound to sweat in the field.. Perhaps some scent-free wipes? A customer of mine gave a a container of Primos scent removing wet wipes, but I only recently found them in the garage, maybe that could help..
    That is the ironic part of the using scent debate. Every hunter with experience will hunt with his nose into the wind. Even when hunting a stand, it should to be setup down wind from where animals will approach.
    Yes try to control human scent, but keeping the wind in your face is most important.
    There wasn't enough room in the boat.

Thanks

Mario:

Most will laugh at this but It does help a bunch, We spray the Doe in heat scent on the bottom of our boots, the Fabree no scent, on our clothes when we set out. It usually before light so it is cool for the trek, But we also carry a small pump bottle of Fabree in our pack for when we get to our blind, couple more sprits for our clothes and Doe in Heat cover, works well for us.
    Last edited by OPAH; 07-29-2016 at 06:49 AM.

Thanks

Interesting, Opah.. Every tip helps!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt55 View Post
    I shot one bear one time and never needed to shoot another.. I have a full head/rug mount it is awesome.. TASTED like crap... Tried burritos, steaks, crock pot overall bad very very greasy...... I shot it up by Happy Camp CA...
    Happy camp is a nice area, was it by the dump?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567