Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Hunting in D14 tips/advice

Thanks

Default Bear Hunting in D14 tips/advice

Hey guys. Was wondering if you guys had any tips or advice about bear hunting here in D14. Im not looking for anyones secret spots or anything, but I got some topographic maps of the San Bernadino National Forest and was wondering if you guys had any pointers on what would be some good general areas to check out? I'll mostly be hunting with a .308 Remington, unless I can pick up a cheap decent compound bow before archery season opens. I'll be hunting with a buddy who has taken bears up north before, but not down here. Im guessing the best method would be to find a nice ridge and start glassing, then see if I can sneak in close enough for a shot. Im also thinking scent control is very important, so I'll have to store my camo in sealed bags... Anyone know any spots worth checking out around like Big Bear? Thanks in advance for any tips and advice

Thanks

I'm your huckleberry! I will PM you a sweet spot where I took a bear, not Hunting D-14 tis coming year, BUT If it pans out I get a chunk of meat right?

Thanks

Last edited by cjack; 04-26-2016 at 12:58 PM.
    "Let no man be ashamed to kneel in the great out of doors, remember the woods were Gods first temples" : Ernest Hemingway

Thanks

Interesting article... OPAH, of course, Ive never had bear meat but Im itching to try it

Thanks

Try all the swimming pools you can find, they love hanging out in them. On a more serious note, Start with scouting, covering as much ground as you can, looking for tracks and scat. That will tell you how many bears are working an area. From there, you can follow the tracks best you can, and get a good idea on the areas they prefer, the food they are eating... But in short, you'll find the most bears in riparian areas; water is a key factor with bears.

Thanks

What is a riparian area?

Thanks

Look for the berries in that area d-14 is full of them around July -October . Like bubble said areas around water. Get out ther early and listen for trees being beat up those bears can be loud. If your not sure where exactly to look drive up a road very slowly and look for tracks good luck

Man of few words

Thanks

I've read somewhere on here to look for Manzania (I think) berries, that the bears like them? Also, when archery hunting for bear, no sidearms allowed right? I'd hate to hit a bear with a arrow and have to fight him off with a Ka-Bar hahaha..

Thanks

Ka-Bar or Bowie That's all you have Brother, and Remember you can cut Its heart out and It has 5 minutes of blood In Its system to maul you before It dies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MariotheBarber View Post
    What is a riparian area?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riparian_zone
    "Let no man be ashamed to kneel in the great out of doors, remember the woods were Gods first temples" : Ernest Hemingway

Thanks

Ahhh okay, I didnt know those were called riparian areas but I've seen those before...

Thanks

I'm no expert, but I have taken a bear, with a bow, in each of the last four years. My strategy(s) are similar to those above, with some exceptions:

1. I don't get hung up on "berries", sure they like them, but they NEED water (and they'll eat almost anything). Find a year-round water source far away from people (are you willing to hikes miles...?).

2. Glassing is a great idea, but pre-season scouting (and lots of it), is an even better idea.

3. Use trail cameras, the more the better. Not only do you have to find a bear, but you have to pattern it - especially if you're bow hunting.

4. Unless you've bow hunted before, you might want to think twice about that - it's a lot different that rifle hunting.

5. Know the kill zone, it's different than deer.

6. Have a plan for recovering and getting the bear out - they're big and heavy (and you don't want to waste the meat).

7. Familiarize yourself with the F/G rules and regulations, in regards to bears (they're unique).

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Last edited by Wild1; 04-27-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks

Thanks Wild1, I've never bow hunted before and seeing as you've taken bears with a bow, any advice on that? Id imagine Im gonna need some heavy-duty broadheads and a LOT of practice..

Thanks

You don't really need a heavy-duty broadhead, bears are soft skinned, and although they have a thick, hairy hide, if you hit 'em in the right place, they'll die. Lots of guys use mechanical heads, I use a fixed blade (stick trick), but either way, it should be sharp! More important is shot placement! Practice for sure, and just know where to put the arrow.

Thanks

Yeah I was leaning more toward a fixed blade broadhead, I've found a couple cheaper compound bows that look like they might do the job. How far away were your shots from?

Thanks

best way to kill a bear is to be hunting for something else. Never see em when you're hunting em, can't stop seeing em when you're hunting something else.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

Default Bear Hunting in D14 tips/advice

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    best way to kill a bear is to be hunting for something else. Never see em when you're hunting em, can't stop seeing em when you're hunting something else.
    Tru dat^^^^^^^
    Last edited by Revo2811; 04-27-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks

Lol ive always found bears in the higher elevations. Not saying they go down to the foothills but usually ive seen them on saddles or climbing up to saddles. They do like berries but they also love pinion pines. Your best bet is to hunt them like you would hunt deer.

Thanks

Barber -

My shots have all been inside of 40 yards, that's why bowhunting is a lot different than rifle hunting. Like most guys hunting bears, I glass a lot, and I've have seen lots of bears from (rifle) distance and a few at questionable bow distances (60+ yards) and I always try to get closer - most of the time unsuccessfully....lol. Bears can go a long way wounded, and that whole scenario bothers me so I try to get within 40/50 yards (and I'd like to think I'm a good shot with a bow).

Are you saying you've never bow hunted....?

Thanks

Mario: I would advise you to hook up with an experienced bear Hunting Bowman first, Bears can be vicious, put an arrow thru there heart and the still have plenty of time to maul you. No Firearms are allowed at all, Camo, scent control are vital and I will tell you every Bear Hunter, Warden or Ranger will scream DO NOT WOUND A BEAR!!!! YOU KILL IT!!!! Make sure your shot placement is great. Make sure You're great with your Bow to at least 50 yards, Apple Valley? you have a huge Back yard Yes? Get six or so Hay Bales, Build a wall you will be very much surprised at what arrows can do and go when you are starting out. Start at 10 or 20 yards and work your way back to 50 or 60

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys, interesting food for thought. I've never bow hunted before, although I have a recurve I've messed around with. I found a cheaper but decent compound bow that Im gonna order pretty soon here, I figure Ive got until august I believe to start getting good with it. Obviously Im going to prefer rifle season, but I figure archery season is starting first so that will give me more time in the field. Im going to be deer hunting anyway, but I bought a bear tag on the off chance we see a bear. Last year while deer hunting we found fresh tracks and scat, but since we didnt have bear tags we didn't pursue it..

Thanks

Right on!! Good luck to you! Be sure to post up, whether you make a kill or not - always enjoyable to read about hunting adventures!

Thanks

Thanks guys. Im doing research, and hoping that if I go bow hunting for bear there are some trees for me to scamper up if I hit one but don't drop him fairly quickly. I dont think its very likely I'll be able to bow hunt for bears from a tree stand here in D14

Thanks

Mario, Mario, Bears climb trees very well, If you do hit one become the tree (freeze) do not move, Bears eyes are not the best but they can see movement very well, and Keep the breeze in your Face, there sense of smell is outstanding

Thanks

Yeah I know black bears are pretty good at climbing trees, better than I am haha... Im more nervous about tracking one down after its hit and runs out of sight, but I'll have my hunting partner with me, a Ka-Bar on my side and a decent neck knife too..

Thanks

A Ka-Bar and a good neck knife...? Good idea, that way after the bear eats you, he can snack on the two knifes. That's kind of like taking a safety pin into the octagon against a UFC fighter.

Make a good shot so we don't have to talk about what a cool guy you were.

Thanks

How can you tell if a Ca black bear has turned into a man eater?

By the over whelming smell of pepper and the Ka-Bar in its scat

Thanks

Well... better make sure at least one of those knives has a blade length of 5 inches or more. And that you maintain the presence of mind to pick where you're going to stab him as he rushes at you at 40mph. Yeah... not soo much.

More importantly always be strapped with your BearSpray canister. BearSpray is no joke. That stuff is crazy painful. And practice drawing the canister outta your holster and popping-off the plastic safety-guard for the trigger on it with one hand.

I highly suggest you use the Search feature and peruse thru all Wild1's previous posts. All the info you seek is in there.
    "None of us was born knowing ANY of this! If someone else can do it, YOU can TOO!" - TheGDog
    "The Wise man can learn from even the Fool." - TheGDog

Thanks

Well I figure a Ka-Bar is better than a fist, but the bear spray is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.. Thanks for the advice guys, Im still trying to figure all this out. I'll have to dig up Wild1's posts..

Thanks

This is a little off topic but how do the Bears taste that eat all the oak Glen apples? I heard a lot of people hunt that area of d14 so I probably won't hunt there but just out of curiosity do the apple make them taste better? I would think it does
    “If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” -Fred Bear

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast