Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Hunting in D14 tips/advice

Thanks

Here's your answer(s):

1. My bag of food, was just that, MY bag of food, and I wasn't hunting, I was backpacking more than twenty miles into Yosemite (where hunting is illegal) with NO weapon go any kind (except a multitool). Just like when a bear wanders into someone's campsite and attacks their ice chest, that's not baiting - that's a bear raiding.

2. Game wardens have wide discretion (see Bubblehide's note on this) and these regs are not the Bill of Rights - it's clearly written in the Big Game Digest, published online and also sent to hunters who bought a license last year.

3. Since you're hung up on the "feeding" part, here's what a game warden will ask you ".....if you have a bait station set up, with food and scent, or just food, or just scent, but the bear hasn't eaten any of it, is it bait...?" Here's what I would ask you: you've set out a pile of meat and donuts, but the bear hasn't eaten any of it (yet), should it be considered bait...? The "feeding" part is gonna be subject to interpretation and judgement, I guarantee this.

4. Why risk it...? Why not just use old-school hunting practices that are proven and ethical...? Like scouting, scouting and more scouting. Like woodsmanship, outdoor skills, hunting skills and hunting ethics.

5. Bubblehide is correct on the baiting issue, he is also correct on natural scents.

Thanks

Jesus It Is a scent wick, not a donut, not a pile of meat, It Is not meant In any way to be eaten or consumed, It Is 15/20 feet In the air on the very outer limbs of a tree. It Is doing only one thing dispersing sent Into the air.
    And once again where is the REG. A NOTE does not a law make!! HERE !S THE LAW

§251.3. Prohibition Against Feeding Big Game Mammals.

No person shall knowingly feed big game mammals, as defined in Section 350 of these regulations
    §257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait.
    Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area.
    •(a) Definition of Baited Area. As used in this regulation, "baited area" shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for ten days following complete removal
    •(b) Exceptions: ◦(1) The taking of domestically reared and released game birds on licensed pheasant clubs and other licensed game bird clubs;
    ◦(2) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over standing crops, flooded standing crops (including aquatics), flooded harvested croplands, grain crops properly shocked on the field where grown, or grains found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural planting or harvesting;
    ◦(3) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over any lands where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grain, salt, or other feed have been distributed or scattered as the result of bona fide agricultural operations or procedures, or as a result of manipulation of a crop or other feed on the land where grown for wildlife management purposes: provided that manipulation for wildlife management purposes does not include the distributing or scattering of grain or other feed once it has been removed from or stored on the field where grown.
    CCR T14-251.3. Prohibition Against Feeding Big
    Game Mammals.
    No person shall knowingly feed big game mammals,
    as defined in Section 350 of these regulations
    Last edited by OPAH; 05-04-2016 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks

Just one more thing:
    Note: Scents sprayed into the air and allowed to disperse over a wide area in the wind generally do not fall within the definition of bait.

A scent wick disperses scent over a wide area using the wind. It is not applied to the vegetation, or rocks

You know it really doesn't matter we can see where this is headed, next year all attractants will be considered baiting and there fore Illegal. so hell lets fall in line and surrender, looks like most of us are willing to except a NOTE as law and I am sure the antis have a ton of NOTEs they want us to obey Blindly.
    Yes I know the LAW is the LAW and now so is a NOTE pretty soon the LAW will be a opinion and that opinion will be Hunting is mean and cruel and there for no one should hunt.
    Guess they were right about not allowing spines into California, hard to stand up for what is right without your spine!
    But it does put you in the correct position the antis would like you
    Last edited by OPAH; 05-04-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks

You're just not understanding. If the scent can be applied to ANYTHING (a rock, a log, OR a WICK/TAMPON) and has the ABILITY to be consumed, then it is considered bait. Because it's not MEANT to be consumed, doesn't mean it won't or can't. Bears eat whatever they want, whether or not you wanted them to eat it. Also, the distance in the air (15-20 ft.) is irrelevant, especially since a bear can, and will, get to it, guaranteed.

You can debate it all you want, you can even do it all you want, but I guarantee you that a game warden won't be as understanding and nonjudgmental as us JHO's are. Good luck with it and let us know how much the fine was and how long you have to give up your hunting license.

Thanks

Wild1, where are you reading all this? Now If It can be applied to anything, seems you are growing, You don't think a bear will chew on an scent atomizer setting on a log? Just show me the regulations. I have shown what I can find and none of it states what you are saying. Baiting, Placing to be eaten, dispersing to be eaten Not any thing that could be consumed.
    Just trying to get to the facts not the assumptions

Thanks

This is pretty interesting, I can see both of your points... Hmm..

Thanks

OPAH -

The section I pasted (starting with: NOTE), came right from the "Big Game Digest" which I already said (wrote). If you're not familiar with the "Big Game Digest" then I'm wondering if you even hunt, it's can be found online, on CA. Fish and Game (wildlife) website 2015-2016 edition. IT IS PART OF THE REGULATIONS (sorry for the caps, but you're just not understanding). I DID NOT write it, I pasted it from CA. Fish and Game!! (someone help me out here)!

What does "spine" have to do with anything, it's called being law-abiding and not a slob hunter. I follow the law(s), and even more important, I try to be as ethical as I can.....that's called integrity.

Again, the "NOTE" comes from CA. Fish and Game (wildlife) NOT me. All states have hunting regulations, we may not agree with some (you can always move), but we're bound to follow them.

Thanks

It Is amazing how some will resort to calling names and stomping the little feet when someone dis agrees with them.
    A little Education for you My Law abiding Ethical Hunter:
    This is a Regulation:
    §257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait.
    Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area.
    •(a) Definition of Baited Area. As used in this regulation, "baited area" shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for ten days following complete removal
    It has a Number and is part of a whole bunch of other Regulations in Title 14 of the CCR.

A NOTE:

Note: Scents sprayed into the air and allowed to disperse
    over a wide area in the wind generally do not fall within the definition of bait.

Is just that A NOTE, not a law or regulation and if it had any real validity the CCR and title would be included as reference.
    Now go pound Play Dough, be your Lawful little self and fall in line. OOH and if you can't pay NICE someone here on the forum may send you home. Now Hold your Breath, count to ten and remember NO FBombs or profanity Mild1

" it's can be found online, on CA. Fish and Game (wildlife) website 2015-2016 edition"
    and it is not part of the 2015 to 2016 it is new to the 2016 to 2017 edition
    HUMMM !!

Last edited by OPAH; 05-04-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks

I hope I didn't start something here. Anyone got any links to some more bear hunting info? Im like a sponge right now, trying to absorb everything I can

Thanks

Sorry Mario:
    There is a Bear hunting forum here with outstanding stories, facts and information.
    I would have to refresh my knowledge on the regs but one of the most important I believe is to insure you do not shoot a sow bear with cubs, some times you may have to wait t make sure some little ones are not just out of view

Thanks

Yeah I recall reading that. Im thinking of looking around the San Bernadino National forest and around Big Bear.. Gonna have to do some scouting this summer...

Thanks

I'll PM you, do you have someone to hunt with?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MariotheBarber View Post
    Yeah I recall reading that. Im thinking of looking around the San Bernadino National forest and around Big Bear.. Gonna have to do some scouting this summer...
    If you are not familiar with San Bernardino get a map of the areas some are shotgun only

Thanks

I didn't stomp my feet or call anyone a name. I just tried helped a guy looking for help. I read your last post and it reads like a middle school student wrote it, no need to go there. I'll tell you what, we'll just disagree and let new hunters do their thing. No worries.

By the way, how 'bout posting some of your kills, instead of insulting other hunters.

Thanks

Been there and done that, guess you haven't been on the forum long enough to know.
    I agree its not worth wasting the time and I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone so
    Unarmed.

Thanks

Yeah I got a hunting buddy that has taken bears up north but not down here, and I just got my BLM maps of the San Bernadino National Forest and surrounding area. If its shotgun only I can pick up a slug barrel for my mossberg. I'm planning on picking up a compound bow in the next couple weeks so I can get out there for archery season, I figure more time in the field is always a good thing. Im just concerned if I get a bear I can drag the dang thing out, seems like thats the hard part haha.. Thanks for the advice guys, This is why I love this forum

Thanks

After speaking with a warden and reading the bear section of the Mammal Hunting Regulations, I am with Wild1 on this.

§365. Bear.

(e) Bait: No feed, bait or other materials capable of attracting a bear shall be placed or used for the purpose of taking or pursuing a bear. No bear shall be taken over such bait. No person may take a bear within a 400-yard radius of a garbage dump or bait.

Whether you decide to follow it or not is completely up to you, but what he has stated is sound. The warden I spoke with mentioned that you can use scents as a cover scent on your person, but if you choose to use a 'scent' that offers the reward of food, you cannot use it. I realize there is some disagreement with this, but this came from the wardens mouth.

Thanks

Hmm... Well I guess I can still spray scents in the air.. Maybe a mix of apple juice and anise extract?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OPAH View Post
    Just one more thing:
    Note: Scents sprayed into the air and allowed to disperse over a wide area in the wind generally do not fall within the definition of bait.

A scent wick disperses scent over a wide area using the wind. It is not applied to the vegetation, or rocks

You know it really doesn't matter we can see where this is headed, next year all attractants will be considered baiting and there fore Illegal. so hell lets fall in line and surrender, looks like most of us are willing to except a NOTE as law and I am sure the antis have a ton of NOTEs they want us to obey Blindly.
    Yes I know the LAW is the LAW and now so is a NOTE pretty soon the LAW will be a opinion and that opinion will be Hunting is mean and cruel and there for no one should hunt.
    Guess they were right about not allowing spines into California, hard to stand up for what is right without your spine!
    But it does put you in the correct position the antis would like you
    OPAH, I get what your saying, but a tampon can be ingested, and therefore would end up being a judgement call. Some Wardens will see your side of it, and others with take the other point of view, and technically have the law on their side. Scents dispersed into the air are not capable of being ingested, therefore, dispersing scents into the air is not illegal. Granted, I can see you or any person making an argument that prior to being dispersed into the air, from an atomizer, the scent can be eaten/ingested via the container, and therefore no different that using a tampon to disperse the scent. Frankly, I think this argument could be won in court; I just don't want to be the one in court defending myself if I can avoid it.

Thanks

Frankly, I enjoy these debates, they make me think, and analyze the regulations. Like I have said, they can be convoluted, in that you don't find everything that applies in one location withing the regulations, you need to dig around, in different areas and put the pieces together. Even the, things like this come up, and I think both view point could be defended, and bot defended very well. The bottom line is that if the Judge can see how it can be confusing, they are supposed to lean to the side of leniency. So, after re-thinking this one, I'd bet that the tampon use would be successfully defended in court. But again, I don't want to be the guy in court defending myself, despite being confident I could do so successfully.

I would however like to hear from #1Predator, as his take is always insightful.

Thanks

• (e) Bait: No feed, bait or other materials capable of attracting a bear shall be placed or used for the purpose of taking or pursuing a bear. No bear shall be taken over such bait. No person may take a bear within a 400-yard radius of a garbage dump or bait.
    That's from the "Mammal Hunting Regulations 2015-2016 as posted by CaliforniaKid above.
    Scent, I would say is a material = "No.....material capable of attracting a bear....shall....be used for the purpose of taking or pursing a bear." I don't know if that's a new regulation or there is a conflict/typo in the the Hunters Digest but if you follow the reg then you can't use scent as an attractant while hunting bear.
    There wasn't enough room in the boat.

Thanks

The Scent question has come up before. The regulations, to my knowledge, have not changed since the last time this was discussed at length. It has always boiled down to the question of wether it can be licked and or ingested in any manner. So scents dispersed into the air, can be breathed in, but not ingested or licked, therefore they are considered LEGAL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehide View Post
    The Scent question has come up before. The regulations, to my knowledge, have not changed since the last time this was discussed at length. It has always boiled down to the question of wether it can be licked and or ingested in any manner. So scents dispersed into the air, can be breathed in, but not ingested or licked, therefore they are considered LEGAL.
    Thanks for the info Bubblehide, but using scents for bear are in a world all their own. Case in point, I also asked the warden about the bear bombs they sell at Bass Pro as they are just giving off scent. His words to me were, 'If it offers the promise of food, then it cannot be used.' While I completely disagree with it, that's what he said to me. Like you said, another warden may see it differently as it is not 100% spelled out in stone. Now I see the bear Sow-In-Heat bear bombs, too. They do not offer the promise of food, so they should be legal right? I'm not one to risk it.

Thanks

The archery bear regs below are different in that they reference a "feeding area". Under these regs you could have a scent soaked wick hanging next to you in your stand as long as you take it with you when you leave and it's not being used to attract bear to a feeding area.

• §366. Archery Bear Hunting.

Bear may be taken with bow and arrow during the bear season as specified in Section 365 and as follows:
      • (a) Areas: Those portions of the state as described in subsection 365(a).
      • (b) Season: The archery bear season shall open on the third Saturday in August and extend for 23 consecutive days. There is no open season for taking bear with bow and arrow in the balance of the state.
      • (c) Bag and Possession Limit: One adult bear per hunting license year. Cubs and female accompanied by cubs may not be taken. (Cubs are defined as bears less than one year of age or bears weighing less than 50 pounds.)
      • (d) The use of dogs is prohibited during the archery season for bear.
      • (e) Bait. No feed, bait or other materials capable of attracting a bear to a feeding area shall be placed or used for the purpose of taking or pursuing a bear. No bear shall be taken over such bait. No person may take a bear within a 400 yard radius of a garbage dump or bait.
    There wasn't enough room in the boat.

Thanks

Sow in heat scent offers the reward of get it bear style not food or the promise of food, how can you ever confuse the two?
    Now if the Bear Bomb smells like bacon cooking in the woods yes there is a baiting issue, Thats why I have a healthy BLT in the mornings before going hunting

Thanks

Regarding bait vs. attractant, here is Carrie Wilson's (DFW biologist and host of DFW's Question and Answer articles) answer to the question. Scents, when sprayed in the air are not considered bait. Scents applied to anything, whether considered "edible" or not (cotton ball, scent bottle attached to a tree branch, etc.) is considered bait.

Any Difference Between Baiting vs. Attractants?

Posted on September 13, 2012 by CDFW | Leave a comment

The use of any substance (real or artificial) that is capable of attracting an animal to an area, and when used causes the animal to feed (on the substance), is prohibited. (Photo by Carrie Wilson)

Question: What are the differences between baiting and attractants? I know baiting is illegal but was curious about attractants. What qualifies something as an attractant? Can you please define and differentiate? (Josh L.)

Answer: There is no difference … bait is an attractant and an attractant is bait.

No specific definition is provided in Fish and Game laws for these terms, but the definition of “baited area” in the California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 257.5 is helpful.
    It states in part: “Resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area. (a) . . . baited area shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered . . . ”

Under this regulation, the use of any substance (real or artificial) that is capable of attracting an animal to an area and when used causes the animal to feed (on the substance) is prohibited. Generally, aerosols sprayed into the air are permissible because there is nothing to feed on. But the same products applied to a surface (e.g. tree, brush, rock, etc.) where the animal licks, eats, chews, nibbles, etc. the surface is considered feed and is a violation.
    In addition, intentional acts that disrupt any birds’ or mammals’ normal behavior patterns (CCR T14, section 251.1) as well as feeding big game mammals (CCR T14, section 251.3) are prohibited.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell, English novelist

Thanks

PM Inbound
    Living the dream in Utah!

Thanks

OK so Hickory smoked Bacon arisal is a Bait or not, it mists at the atomizer, it is not sprayed onto plants rock or one's self (hopefully)

"Under this regulation, the use of any substance (real or artificial) that is capable of attracting an animal to an area and when used causes the animal to feed (on the substance) is prohibited. Generally, aerosols sprayed into the air are permissible because there is nothing to feed on"

So Aerosol Hickory Bacon is legal
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OPAH; 05-05-2016 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks

This says NO NOTHIG that will attract a bear may be used!!!

(e) Bait: No feed, bait or other materials capable of attracting a bear shall be placed or used for the purpose of taking or pursuing a bear. No bear shall be taken over such bait. No person may take a bear within a 400-yard radius of a garbage dump or bait. OR

(e) Bait. No feed, bait or other materials capable of attracting a bear to a feeding area shall be placed or used for the purpose of taking or pursuing a bear. No bear shall be taken over such bait. No person may take a bear within a 400 yard radius of a garbage dump or bait.

Which one is the real deal both are cited in Regulations? Guess the strictest would apply

So No scents, no Bombs no atomizers, No shit yester day I said it would take a year for them to do this and looky here.
    So come next year it will apply to all Big Game.
    Wild1 you were rigt you just couldn't cite the correct Regulation

Thanks

Thanks #1Predator, I remember reading that Carrie Wilson article also (I think someone posted here as well). One can only cite so many regs./evidence.

I rest my case. Carry on.

Good luck this fall fellas, and be safe out there.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast