Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Hunting in D14 tips/advice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkermann View Post
    This is a little off topic but how do the Bears taste that eat all the oak Glen apples? I heard a lot of people hunt that area of d14 so I probably won't hunt there but just out of curiosity do the apple make them taste better? I would think it does
    It absolutely does. You'll get very mixed reviews on bear meat in general, but bears eating fruit and berries will taste much better than those eating carrion and fish.

Thanks

^^^^ Yep, they'll taste great!! Most of the bears in California will taste fantastic, except for the dumpster divers, they'll taste like trash. The fish eaters will be horrible also, but here in SoCal we don't have many bears feeding at a river. The problem with Oak Glen, is the access, or lack thereof. Mostly private property, and the little public property is only accessed through private property.

Thanks

Yes sir, Apples and berries make for some really good bear meat

Thanks

I've always heard bear meat stinks when being cooked?

Thanks

Yes Apples and Berries make a big difference In taste, If they eat trash the taste like trash

Thanks

That makes sense. When bear hunting, do you guys use any of those scent attractors like I've seen as bass pro? Like the kind you spray in the air?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MariotheBarber View Post
    That makes sense. When bear hunting, do you guys use any of those scent attractors like I've seen as bass pro? Like the kind you spray in the air?
    I believe you can't use any of that. It's considered baiting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Revo2811 View Post
    I believe you can't use any of that. It's considered baiting
    As long as they can't lick it, eat it, or ingest it in any manner, it is legal. So, most all scent's are legal. If they can ingest it in any manner, it is considered baiting, thus illegal.

Thanks

bears are pretty much creatures of habbit, at least until they are pressured. Sure a scent can lure them in. But I don't put much faith in them. In states where baiting is allowed, they generally maintain the bait so the bear becomes habituated to coming in to the bait. A free easy meal will always attract bears, especially if they are coming to it for a while and not asociating danger with it. It's been decades since I have tried any scents for bear, and when I did, it never resulted in success on bringing a bear in. In general, I simply scout for areas with overlapping territories, i.e., two or more bears using the same area, so I am upping my odds.

Thanks

Bubble not going off topic but what about buck bombs?legal or not legal in Cali

Man of few words

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Revo2811 View Post
    Bubble not going off topic but what about buck bombs?legal or not legal in Cali

Man of few words
    The same applies. I've used pig bombs, but not buck bombs. Presuming they work the same way, they atomize the scent and spray it into the air, so it can't be ingested by the animal, thus it would be legal.

Thanks

I used my son one time, he and his buds ate 100 + pounds of my bear with midnight BearBQs. So I took him hunting with me, he was so excited until I sat him down under this big Oak and gave him a sack of peanut butter and banana sandwiches to eat. Told him just before I headed up the hill just trust in Dads aim bud! No bears came that day but you know that little shit ate every one of those sandwiches!!

Thanks

But Bubble Is correct, It can not be eatable, I use my wife's unscented Tampons soaked In apple juice or In heat scent and hang them up about 15/20 feet In a tree gets the scent In the air really quick, I also spray/ mist scent really heavy In the area I hope to shoot the bear or deer. I prefer a strong apple concentrate rather than other scents because it attracts bear and deer.
    Last edited by OPAH; 05-03-2016 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks

The tampon thing is illegal. You can use scents, but it has to be "dispersed".....in other words, you cannot apply scent to any object (tree, log, branch, leaves - or tampons). A scent can only be used "in the air/wind" and dispersed, which for the most part, is useless - which is probably why, Fish n Game wrote the regs the way they did. An animal would be able to lick, or ingest a scent, if it was sprayed or poured on an object, not so if it was sprayed into the air.

Thanks

was thinking then maybe get some of my wife's fruity Victoria secret lotions. But then this might happen lol.

Man of few words

Thanks

Really?? I have use scent tabs forever, do you know the reg? I really have to read it! Last year I was Hanging scents! YIKES
    Last edited by OPAH; 05-03-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks

This is interesting, I was reading about the tampon method last night.. Hmm.. The regs say the scent can't be applied to a object, only sprayed in the air, but that doesnt seem very logical.. But then again it is California..

Thanks

The thing is, if it's applied to an object it can be eaten (bears will eat almost anything with a scent), and so it can be defined as bait. If it's sprayed in the air, it's impossible to eat, so it can't be "bait."

Refer to the 2016 Big Game Booklet. Go to the Bear section (p.56) between "Definitions" and "Use of Dogs for pursuit/take" and read about "scent".

Thanks

Sounds like you are reading more Into this than there really Is Wild1

251.3. Prohibition Against Feeding Big Game Mammals.

No person shall knowingly feed big game mammals, as defined in Section 350 of these regulations
    257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait.
    Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area.
    •(a) Definition of Baited Area. As used in this regulation, "baited area" shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for ten days following complete removal
    •(b) Exceptions: ◦(1) The taking of domestically reared and released game birds on licensed pheasant clubs and other licensed game bird clubs;
    ◦(2) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over standing crops, flooded standing crops (including aquatics), flooded harvested croplands, grain crops properly shocked on the field where grown, or grains found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural planting or harvesting;
    ◦(3) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over any lands where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grain, salt, or other feed have been distributed or scattered as the result of bona fide agricultural operations or procedures, or as a result of manipulation of a crop or other feed on the land where grown for wildlife management purposes: provided that manipulation for wildlife management purposes does not include the distributing or scattering of grain or other feed once it has been removed from or stored on the field where grown.
    CCR T14-251.3. Prohibition Against Feeding Big
    Game Mammals.
    No person shall knowingly feed big game mammals,
    as defined in Section 350 of these regulations
    Last edited by OPAH; 05-03-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks

The Big Game Booklet says you can use scents, but they cannot be sprayed onto a object or else that object is bait. It has to be sprayed in the air. Thats pretty stupid, are we suppose to stand there spraying bear juice in the air and hope old Yogi is wandering nearby?

Thanks

Mario -

Correct. The reg. is written to dissuade hunters from baiting bears. OPAH, I'm not reading more into it - you're not referencing the correct document.

Note: Scents sprayed into the air and allowed to disperse
    over a wide area in the wind generally do not fall within
    the definition of bait. Scent products that have to be
    applied directly to a surface such as a rock, tree or bush
    generally cause the game to come to that specific place,
    and if they feed on it, it is bait

Thanks

^^^^^^^ the above "NOTE" was cut and pasted from the 2016 Big Game Hunting Digest. Do want you want, but anyone that has hunted bears in CA. should know two things: the regulations and how particular and strict, the State is, in regards to bear hunting.

Thanks

OK there you GO!! a tampon 15 or 20 feet up a tree is OK
    Scent products that have to be

Thanks

How could it be ok....!!?? I've seen bears DIVE off a tree onto a food bag dangling 20 feet in the air, I've seen one bear climb on the back of another bear to reach a branch, I've also seen bears eat a tube of toothpaste!! Are you saying a bear can't get to a tampon hanging in a tree...!!!?? Of course they can. If they can feed on it (which they can and will), then it's not permitted. It may be a silly reg., but it's the law and it is illegal.

Thanks

Guess while they are being acrobats, or climbing the tree I'll pop them before they get the tampon In their mouths, Legal Yes

Thanks

Interesting... Anyone know any good scents? Seems they like anise extract... Im debating raiding my girlfriends tampon stash later tonight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OPAH View Post
    Guess while they are being acrobats, or climbing the tree I'll pop them before they get the tampon In their mouths, Legal Yes
    Nope, those regulations are written in such a way to make them broadly applicable. An animal does not have to eat the bait to be considered a baited animal. They only need to be within a certain distance of the bait to be considered baited. I'd dispose of the Tampon thing for any type of scent that could potentially be considered a food source by the animal. I'd go with an atomizer. Bass Pro carries atomizers, battery operated, and programmable. So you could set them, hang them, and leave them until they ran out of scent. The nice thing is that they are refillable. So you could place the scent, and never have to get near it until it was pretty much empty. My guess is that you could calculate the time it would take to empty it.

Thanks

Interesting... Anyone know any good scents? Seems they like anise extract... Im debating raiding my girlfriends tampon stash later tonight

I tend to generally hold the belief that if a scent doesn't occur in the hunt area naturally, don't use it. In other words, a mature animal will generally take something that is not naturally occurring as a warning rather than an attraction or curiosity. However, if your not necessarily looking for a mature animal, and the sign indicates non-mature animals utilizing the area, then anything could work.

Thanks

OK Guys #1 this is a NOTE: Not a regulation, show me the regulation, I have not seen any that come close to the NOTE, and how many times have I heard you all say the laws can not be ambiguous !
    #2 Scent products that have to be

(IF THEY FEED ON IT) it is bait, if they could or if it is possible, it is very specific, sorry bubble I'm am going to have to disagree.

If I hand a tampon 15 / 20 foot up a tree on the out side limb, sprayed with Doe or Sow (Bear) in heat scent how could that be taken as baiting even under the NOTE!

Under the NOTE Wild1, They would also cite you hanging your bag of camp food, which one is more eatable? and as you've said you have seen them jumping out of trees 20 feet, doing acrobatics to get that bag of food.
    Last edited by OPAH; 05-04-2016 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks

Default Bear Hunting in D14 tips/advice

If they lick it its edible just like the salt issue they don't bite chunks off they lick it. So if the scent is sprayed on a rock log etc they will lick it. Too many Details in the rules let's stay safe

Man of few words
    Last edited by Revo2811; 05-04-2016 at 07:18 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast