Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any hogs or deer reports?

Thanks

Default Any hogs or deer reports?

Haven't heard from anyone in awhile. Has anyone been out that can report on the deer herd or hog sightings?

With all the rain, the range should be looking good.
    Life's short . . . Hunt hard

Quote Originally Posted by ltdann View Post
    I can't find a "Nuke the baby gay whales for Jesus" T-shirt anywhere!

Thanks

going hog hunting after work tonight, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Saw one muley forker and about 10 does in the Palomar district... on Nat'l forrest land too. I spent several days all over CNF and saw no hogs or sign of hogs. Made some friends with some local land-owners and they said the hogs are in the Descanso district and their numbers are increasing. The forest looked great this year- plenty of water and greener then I've seen it in a long time. Last years mud puddles are now big ponds full of teal ducks and gadwal... should be a good year.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." - T. Roosevelt

Thanks

I haven't been out, and I'm not sure when I will get the chance to get out, as my temporary retirement days are over, and I have once again joined the ranks of the gainfully employed, to my dismay. However, with this little weather system we are having, my advice is to get out there if you can. There has been plenty of food sources for pigs with the decent rainfall we have received. As such the pigs were fairly well dispersed. But, things had started to dry out, and the pigs were no longer able to root in many locations, as the ground was simply to dry and hard. In short the expenditure was greater than the return. I suspect that with this system, we will get enough rainfall in many areas to get the pigs rooting again; and subsequently make them easier to find, with the obvious fresh sign.

Keep in mind that if the barley crops are seeding out (it is likely a bit early for this still), the pigs will be in those fields gorging. So if your hunting in such an area, and you can, you might not want to stray to far from those barley fields. However, if the pigs are only hitting those barley fields at night, then you can likely find them in or around those areas moist enough for rooting. The food sources in most areas are still plentiful, so if your not hunting an area with barely seeding out, then the pigs will have been utilizing alternative food sources. If there are no other crops being grown in the area, then this is certainly the time to take advantage of this new rooting activity, and hone in on the pigs.

Best of luck guys, and gals!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehide View Post
    I haven't been out, and I'm not sure when I will get the chance to get out, as my temporary retirement days are over, and I have once again joined the ranks of the gainfully employed, to my dismay. However, with this little weather system we are having, my advice is to get out there if you can. There has been plenty of food sources for pigs with the decent rainfall we have received. As such the pigs were fairly well dispersed. But, things had started to dry out, and the pigs were no longer able to root in many locations, as the ground was simply to dry and hard. In short the expenditure was greater than the return. I suspect that with this system, we will get enough rainfall in many areas to get the pigs rooting again; and subsequently make them easier to find, with the obvious fresh sign.

Keep in mind that if the barley crops are seeding out (it is likely a bit early for this still), the pigs will be in those fields gorging. So if your hunting in such an area, and you can, you might not want to stray to far from those barley fields. However, if the pigs are only hitting those barley fields at night, then you can likely find them in or around those areas moist enough for rooting. The food sources in most areas are still plentiful, so if your not hunting an area with barely seeding out, then the pigs will have been utilizing alternative food sources. If there are no other crops being grown in the area, then this is certainly the time to take advantage of this new rooting activity, and hone in on the pigs.

Best of luck guys, and gals!
    bubblehide,

where are these barley fields b4?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waterfwl View Post
    bubblehide,

where are these barley fields b4?
    Sorry waterfwl, I responded without realizing this thread was about Vandy. I made the assumption this was the general pig forum; my mistake. I don't know of any barley being grown around Vandy. But then I haven't been there in close to 2 decades.

Thanks

me too ... thought it was general question
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." - T. Roosevelt

Thanks

never had a chance to hunt the base
    Last edited by Fishgunner; 04-09-2016 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks

Havent been up to the base to hunt since last September. I heard the last hog taken was 28FEB. have they all moved off base. I remember 3 years ago and seeing hogs everywhere has the drought really done that much damage or is it cause hunters keep shooting the sows and not letting the population grow. Also where are these barely fields that were talked about?

Thanks

Spotted five hogs Sunday evening outside the C1 area. Yep, they were on the wrong side of the fence and too far away. Best I could tell, I think they were three sows and two boars. I did not see any deer from the location I was at and I could see a mile in most directions. Honestly, I'm concerned about the deer herd in C1. I haven't seen very many at all.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster
    Unofficial VAFB Rod & Gun Club

Thanks

Have the fawns dropped yet?

Thanks

Have the fawns dropped yet?
    Yes, I've only seen one so far.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster
    Unofficial VAFB Rod & Gun Club

Thanks

Actually, there are hogs around due to the rainy winter i guess. here is the picture from less than 2 weeks ago.
    Sorry for the bat quality of cell phone pictures

IMG_0756.jpg

Thanks

That's on the base? I don't recognize the area....where was that taken?

Thanks

No, it is LPNF

Thanks

That'd be worth hunting. Nice little sounder going on there. Go get 'em!

Thanks

Actually i took 4 out of 6 piglets already in the last 2 weeks :-).
    This group was 6 piglets 40-50LB and 2 larger saws. Not all of them in the picture
    I left the larger ones and two saws to bring me some more babies for the after the surgery if i'm able to hunt.

Thanks

Strong work, good on ya!

Thanks

Whats lpnf and what do you have to do to hug t there

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGray View Post
    Spotted five hogs Sunday evening outside the C1 area. Yep, they were on the wrong side of the fence and too far away. Best I could tell, I think they were three sows and two boars. I did not see any deer from the location I was at and I could see a mile in most directions. Honestly, I'm concerned about the deer herd in C1. I haven't seen very many at all.
    Was out looking around last week and seen quite a few deer in B-5 and B-6 nothing real big but a lot of does C-6 not a lot a few does no bucks and not very many fawns be a interesting year

Thanks

LPNF stands for Los Padres National Forest. You can hunt their year round but check with the rangers first for fire arms restrictions and do you need an Adventure Pass to park your vehicle in a given area. Make sure of course that you are using non-lead ammo.
    Leftyhunter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim_2181 View Post
    Whats lpnf and what do you have to do to hug t there
    LPNF is Los Padres National forest,
    To hug there you just need a person who agrees, or a tree, but if you meant hunt, a licence and a gun

Thanks

Lol yes I meant hunt. How far is lpnf from the base n where is a good place to see some hogs

Thanks

It is real LOL, look at the map, it depends what base and what part of LPNF you want to hunt. It is huge
    Last edited by JustGuy; 06-06-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks

I usually hunt vandenberg but the pig population has declined. Been looking for a new place to hunt hogs is the hog population on LPNF better

Thanks

Sure it is, also much more land to choose from

Thanks

Hunted with All Season Outfitters on their Priest Valley ranch in early june. Saw a lot of sign but only one hog. Our guides method of hunting hogs was driving us around the ranch in a jeep. Never stopped to glass or anything except for him to shoot at a coyote and a bobcat. Missed both. Horrible experience. Left a message for Tony Phelps but no reply. Don't waste your time with them.

Thanks

On Sat took a n00b to my property for his first deer hunt. Saw 2 good size bucks approximately 6-700 yard away. A little far for the bow. Not many deer at all. also saw 4-5 does.
    Finally we spoted a little forkie behind a hill. He could get to him at 20-25 yards. Made a head shot. The arrow split the tong in half and stuck in the base of the head in the spinal cord.
    The guy was so exited he forgot to take the pictures :-). He was almost crying all the way back because of it.

Thanks

i'll bet those good size bucks are on your radar...congrats on helping that guy get his buck! Sounds like he's pretty good with a bow.
    There wasn't enough room in the boat.

Thanks

Oh yes he is very good. He is competitive shooter.

About those 2 bucks, i'm not sure what to do with them. They are on public land but behind my neighbor. To get to them i have to trespass, but she is never there to ask her permission.
    If i trespass without permission, which i don't want to do, another neighbor who lives in a house on the overlooking hill would see me. They all are good neighbors and i do not want to make any mess because of one buck
    In addition to the trouble, the areas they are in is separated from the "main land" by a wide canon. If i drop one over there, i have no idea how to get it, especially now with my back condition.

I'll go there in the weekdays in hope to see this lady neighbor. Than i'll be able to put same cameras and see if they ever getting to my site.

Meanwhile i will be satisfying myself with rabbit hunting. At least they are easy to carry out...
    Last edited by JustGuy; 07-19-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast