Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vafb rut is on

Thanks

Default Vafb rut is on

Badger huntress bagged this beast last night.
    uploadfromtaptalk1441985661624.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441985684079.jpg
    Life's short . . . Hunt hard

Quote Originally Posted by ltdann View Post
    I can't find a "Nuke the baby gay whales for Jesus" T-shirt anywhere!

Thanks

Very nice!!! Is that a slug gun she made the kill with? What makes you say rut is on D?
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

Congrats !!!!!

📡

Thanks

Swollen neck is one of the indication if the rut is on.

Thanks

Thank you ltdann for the assist. Mom and I have chased this buck since seasons start and he was always smarter and faster and knew exactly where no hunting starts and ends. His name is Sneakers and his downfall was the doe he was with. The rut is on and has been on even two weeks ago when my husband and I both got a buck two minutes apart because they would not leave their does. We watched a nice fork two days ago almost climb a chain link fence with barbed wire on top simply because a pretty doe was on the other side. He literally pushed his muzzle through one hole and lifted up his front left foreleg and put it through another link We have never seen anything like it. He kept looking to the top of the fence like he might try and jump and then he would paw the ground at the bottom of the fence. When the doe walked off he went crazy running up and down the fence line looking for a hole. The last we saw of him was running south along the fence and out of sight. Sad thing is the hole in the fence was about 400 yards to his north!

May be safe to say two years of quota seems to have helped the deer out in terms of quality and weight (he weighed 132lbs) and letst hope El Nino brings lots of rain and good browse for the base critters. Thanks again ltdann for posting the pictures. Good luck to everyone

Thanks

Hello k_rad. I use an 11-87 Remington shotgun (borrowed it from my husband 15 years ago and never gave it back :) with rifled slug barrel and it likes to shoot Remington Premier Copper Solid Sabot slugs (3 inch-1oz slugs). He was bedded down at 103 yards and I shot off a generation two trigger stick got for my birthday from Bass Pro shop. Take care and go hunting because its one more week for the A zone.....

Thanks

Nice Buck! Congrats!

Thanks

Nicely done....

Thanks

Nice, that's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Badger's HuntressC View Post
    Thank you ltdann for the assist. Mom and I have chased this buck since seasons start and he was always smarter and faster and knew exactly where no hunting starts and ends. His name is Sneakers and his downfall was the doe he was with. The rut is on and has been on even two weeks ago when my husband and I both got a buck two minutes apart because they would not leave their does. We watched a nice fork two days ago almost climb a chain link fence with barbed wire on top simply because a pretty doe was on the other side. He literally pushed his muzzle through one hole and lifted up his front left foreleg and put it through another link We have never seen anything like it. He kept looking to the top of the fence like he might try and jump and then he would paw the ground at the bottom of the fence. When the doe walked off he went crazy running up and down the fence line looking for a hole. The last we saw of him was running south along the fence and out of sight. Sad thing is the hole in the fence was about 400 yards to his north!

May be safe to say two years of quota seems to have helped the deer out in terms of quality and weight (he weighed 132lbs) and letst hope El Nino brings lots of rain and good browse for the base critters. Thanks again ltdann for posting the pictures. Good luck to everyone
    That would be a pretty good indication! Sounds like me when I first met my wife grrrrrr!!!! Haha. Congratulations on a true trophy on Vandyland.!
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

awesome story! Congrats! time well spent.

What were his measuments? Weight?
    Last edited by Bow-Mann; 09-16-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks

Thank you, Bow-Man. He weighed 132Lbs (When we saw him first week of season we really think he was chunkier but chasing the ladies wears on a guy, you know!) His rough measurement is 20"wideX 16"tall. His ears had a fresh rip and he had a busted front tooth so he's been around the block. Could not be happier and my husband and I just finished cleaning and freezing almost all of him except for one more ham to go. And while he was rutty, his meat is tender (we aged him for six days). Take care and good luck hunting!

Thanks

Great looking buck congrats! Heard it has slowed down a bit. Worth the drive up?

Thanks

Hey Phil80. I can't answer for everybody :), but it has slowed a bit even though the weather is clear and post mini rain the fog is gone. Not seeing as many deer out and about, but when you do it usually involves bucks with does. My husband has the weekend off and one tag left to fill so we'll be out and about. Fortunately or unfortunately its supposed to get up to the mid and upper eighties this last weekend of zone A. It actually seemed like we had more deer activity when we had the last hot spell to be honest.

Wishy, washy response I know, but it has been a weird season with an early rut and some crazy deer behavior. We're praying for good rains ASAP to kind of keep the herd momentum going so there's more quality feed for all the mommas with single and double fawns and lots of food for the bucks that burn their fat off chasing does.

Can't fill a tag at home..... Good luck!

Thanks

Really hot last Saturday and both bucks I saw were bumping does. I should have known it was going to be a weird but exciting year when I saw a buck with a doe in August. I've seen rut activity this year that usually doesn't occur until October!
    Coming to a National Forest near you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Badger's HuntressC View Post
    Hey Phil80. I can't answer for everybody :), but it has slowed a bit even though the weather is clear and post mini rain the fog is gone. Not seeing as many deer out and about, but when you do it usually involves bucks with does. My husband has the weekend off and one tag left to fill so we'll be out and about. Fortunately or unfortunately its supposed to get up to the mid and upper eighties this last weekend of zone A. It actually seemed like we had more deer activity when we had the last hot spell to be honest.

Wishy, washy response I know, but it has been a weird season with an early rut and some crazy deer behavior. We're praying for good rains ASAP to kind of keep the herd momentum going so there's more quality feed for all the mommas with single and double fawns and lots of food for the bucks that burn their fat off chasing does.

Can't fill a tag at home..... Good luck!
    Well about a 50/50 chance of me being up there. Amazing buck!

Thanks

Awesome buck! Congrats!

Thanks

Beautiful buck, congrats!

Thanks

Thanks everybody! I sit here as the sun sets on the last day of the Zone A hunting season and hope that the season was good for the many hunters who came from far and wide. My husband and I were blessed with a successful hunt yesterday morning when he heart lunged a 140 lb 3x3. We had started a spot and stalk on a large buck but after a long sneak we found he had left his bedding spot. Luckily my mom had a good vantage spot from up above us on the ridge and spotted two other bucks that we were able to work in on with my husband filling his last tag on the 3x about 1030 am. After a hot epic 3 hour drag (and a blessed assist from officer Wayne Moses at the end) we ended our season with tags filled and a gradually filling freezer.

I am blessed to have shared this seasons hunts with my family and friends on a base that it showing signs of a gradual comeback from over harvesting. We desperately need rain and we are praying for the "historic El Nino" they have predicted. We have seen healthy deer with harvested ones showing more body weight and seeming good condition. During these past few years we purposely only harvested one deer last season with the quotas in place, but this season showed us more opportunities with many getting away and quite a few we passed on for the future.

And as others have commented, earliest rut and crazy deer ever. The hotter the temperature the crazier the deer it seemed with my husbands deer chasing the ladies at 10:30 in the morning with the temps in the 80's yesterday. It use to be the cold that seemed to bring on the rut in September, but now I don't know what to think.

Most of our friends are on to other hunts for Elk, mule deer and whitetails as the season is really only starting for most of the rest of the US. One day we'll try one of those hunts, but for now we have Vandenber's recovering herd to rely on. Lets hope shorter seasons and overall lower harvest numbers will bring it back to its better days! Now its time for fishing and quailing and hopefully some piggies if we get good rain. Good luck!

Thanks

Congrats, good to hear. I'm kicking myself for not taking my son up, I was holding out since he had a J10 tag, but we just found out this weekend that he's not getting the tag after all. Hopefully he can get it done in D16.

Anyways congrats again on the great hunt.

Thanks

Hey DAQ80. Sorry about the no go on the J10 tag, but all our good luck to you on the D16 hunt.. As my husband just reminded me, we don't want to convey the idea of VAFB being a sure thing for any one filling their tags. I've talked with heaps of fellow hunters this season and it ran the gamut from great success to no tags filled. Nothing is certain and this is coming from experienced and skilled hunters who've been coming for years. Some areas like C1 produced some great bucks but you had to earn them with lots of walking. We've put time in scouting and glassing till our eyes burned and it proved successful, but not without a lot of failed attempts.

I don't know what the total deer take was this year or the break down between bucks vs does harvested, but I know not nearly as many does were shot as tags were available. I saw and talked to plenty of dads out with their sons and daughters working on filling their child's first tag and could not help but smile because that's our future as hunters. I hope VAFB is recovering and hopefully the opportunities will only increase for you and your son in the coming years. We'll just have to wait and see....................

Thanks

Tag soup for me, but not for lack of trying. Fighting a fractured foot and broken shotgun just added to the situation. There were GOOD deer this year, but not in great numbers. Two deer in particular where especially crafty. Ole white-tip got away from me FOUR times and lived to fight another day. Spooky escaped twice because of shotgun malfunctions.....I really wanted that guy. We put a mile stalk on and did a J-hook ambush on him and it worked perfectly....except for the gun working part. I'll be back for him next year.

The rut slowed when the heat came back and then returned Wed and Thurs when it cooled. Then the heat came back and it slowed again. But the bucks were definitely tending does early, much earlier than I've seen in 24 years. Probably El Nino related and I expect some record weather this winter, based on the fat on the deer.

Hopefully the UXO's will open next year and that'll add some territory. C'est la vie.

Thanks

Nice deer
    2015 Matthews Z2
    29in draw at 55lbs with truglo Rival Hunter sights
    PSE stl hunter with Montecs
    Ripcord cord red

USMC Semper Fi

Remingtion 887 and 770
    Marlin 30-30

Thanks

Tag soup for me, but not for lack of trying. Fighting a fractured foot and broken shotgun just added to the situation. There were GOOD deer this year, but not in great numbers. Two deer in particular where especially crafty. Ole white-tip got away from me FOUR times and lived to fight another day. Spooky escaped twice because of shotgun malfunctions.....I really wanted that guy. We put a mile stalk on and did a J-hook ambush on him and it worked perfectly....except for the gun working part. I'll be back for him next year.

The rut slowed when the heat came back and then returned Wed and Thurs when it cooled. Then the heat came back and it slowed again. But the bucks were definitely tending does early, much earlier than I've seen in 24 years. Probably El Nino related and I expect some record weather this winter, based on the fat on the deer.

Hopefully the UXO's will open next year and that'll add some territory. C'est la vie.
    Damn, you're the last person I'd expect to get tag soup out of Vandy! Well it's good to hear that the quality of the deer is improving. If we get the winter we're supposed to things should only improve.

Pretty sure I'll be up there next year, learned my lesson on skipping it this time. Thanks for the well wishes badgers huntress

Thanks

Itdann, sorry to hear about the tag soup, and I hope that foot heals well, and fast. Gun malfunctions, I've been there, sorry you had to experience. I hope you come back with a vengeance next year!

Thanks

Tag soup happens to everyone, sooner or later. It's only he second time at VAFB for me. I got schooled by a couple of GOOD deer and have a year to think about the lessons.

The shotgun bit was a complete surprise. It's always performed flawlessly. Although it's 12 years old, it probably has 150-200 rounds thru it. I couldn't see anything obviously wrong with and it still malfunctioned after a good cleaning and lube. I've got an email into Remington and we'll see what they say. In the meantime, I've got a new piston seal and o-ring on the way as that's most likely the failure point. We'll see.

Thanks

Dan I am sorry to hear that! If it wasnt for my wife I would also have walked away empty handed! If it makes you feel better I shot at the same buck twice and my wife spotted him both times. I missed! He stayed just out of my shotgun range as I decided to use 2 3/4 this year so the wife wouldnt flinch at the recoil. Told her next year she can eat the 3" mags lol.

Thanks

No worries. I got bested by BIG old deer. There's a reason they get old and big like that. I flat got schooled and I learned from that.

I also know more about the intimate workings of my auto then I ever wanted to know.
    Last edited by ltdann; 09-26-2015 at 07:37 AM.

Thanks

Congrats on the fine looking buck C H!
    Take good care of the foot ltdann, got my right one crumpled up and it looks like something from a Frankenstein moving after the Ortho Doc tried to put it back together. Ended all chances for long walks anymore.
    Minds are terrible things to waste...especially when they can be so much fun to play with!
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Thanks

Hey all. Just talked to a warden at Conservation and the 2015 deer tally for Vandenberg was 152 total take with 46 does and 106 bucks logged in. With the base still in recovery mode lets hope we can support those harvest numbers on bucks especially. Hard to find a doe without a youngster this season from what we saw.

I met up with ltdann a few times while he was up and knew he was in for a challenge with a buggered foot and a single shot at best shotgun. Kudos to you for never giving up, ltdann! We have been post season spotting and am happy to report some of those older smarter bucks are alive and well and still chasing the ladies and I know you know the ones I'm talking about:)

Take care and good luck to all!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast