Thread: VAFB R&G Club Game Cooler Maintenance and Issues!

Thanks

Default VAFB R&G Club Game Cooler Maintenance and Issues!

The game cooler area will be closed from 11 to 16 September to defrost the walk-in cooler.

Someone left the door open and froze the coils again.

Effective 16 Sep, the cooler will only be accessible during operating hours. Plan accordingly.

Animal waste, such as hides, heads and legs, have been found disposed improperly. All animal waste MUST BE BAGGED and disposed in waste containers located on the south side of building 1521 (next to the store). DO NOT put animal waste in any other container such as those near the shooting ranges which are for range waste only.

Numerous deer remains have been found unbagged and improperly disposed of.

A recommendation has been put forward to implement an additional membership fee of $20 per year for hunters who desire to use the cooler. Recently, there was a refrigeration repair charge of $600.

The game cooler is for members only! The next animal found in the cooler placed by a non-member may be bagged and trashed. No guest placement allowed.

We can't afford to lose this club privilege.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster
    Unofficial VAFB Rod & Gun Club

Thanks

Planning to hunt hard this weekend. If I get lucky what is an alternative cooler location?

Thanks

There's always gotta be a few dumb a$$es that ruin it for everyone else.
    The facilities and privileges the club provides are awesome, I guess some people just won't realize that until it's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Dave,
    I donít know what your position with the club is, if any. Iím going to gripe a bit here and Iíd appreciate it if youíd pass it on to those folks that make the decisions at the club.

Yesterday, just before I read your post, I was looking at my membership card expiration date (28 Aug) and thinking I need to renew it when I come up on the 11th. I also noted that Iíve been a member since 2004, even though I live 300 miles away. Then I read your post about the cooler and wondered why I didnít get an email about that.

In the 11 years Iíve been a member, Iíve never received an email or a newsletter about a single event the club hosted. Iíve never been invited to a single shoot or BBQ. Chances are I probably wouldnít be able to go, but who knows? I was never asked. Are there club meetings? Are there minutes of meetings? I donít know.

So that leaves me as an out of town hunter, who joined to use the chill box/butcher area and to be able to sight in prior to a hunt. Thatís what I pay my $45 a year for, to use the chill box and range, maybe twice a year.

If you check the club demographics, I would guess a full third of the membership is like me. Iíd say the other 2/3 belong to the die-hard gun bunny crowd who seem to live at the club.
    Then the range was closed for two yearsÖ nothing over .223. Not good.

Then the target backers disappeared and I was told to expensive to maintain them. I have to buy my own? And lug it 300 miles to the range?

Then cleaning supplies in the butcher area were gone and never replenished. No towels or cleaning suppliesÖ.for years. The mop looks like it was left over from the 60ís. Not good, but hey Iíll bring my own cleaning supplies, I guess. Then winches on the A-frames are busted, still not fixed.

Now I know for a fact that out of town hunters assisted in installing that hot water heater and digging the pipe runs for the water. Those fancy hanging racks in the chill box were welded up and installed by Jim Owens, an out of town hunter. We do our part. I personally clean that butcher area better than when I found it.

Iím coming up tomorrow and plan to stay till the end of deer season. But the chill box is closed 6 of the 9 days I plan to hunt. It takes 6 days to defrost the chill box? Really? When it reopens, the club says itíll only be available when the club is open. Thatís hardly helpful when someone bags a deer at last shot.

As for the surcharge on huntersÖbetter rethink that. Your liable to loss that 1/3 demographic.

Is there a surcharge for the gun bunnies when the trap machine breaks? Or those fancies sporting clay machines? We pay $45 a year for that chill box, pay the $600 repair bill! Thatís what we give you money for, isnít it? Or are we hunters just subsidizing the rest of the clubís activities?

Furthermore, as club member with over a decade of membership, I really resent being treated like a second rate citizen by the staff and other members of the club. They just assume that since Iím wearing orange and they donít recognize my face, I must be stealing from them by using the facilities. Iíve been a member of the club longer than the employees have worked there. I can't remember how many times I've be braced by someone DEMANDING to see my membership card. When I pull out that ragged card all covered in renewal stamps, they back off, but never apologize for the rudeness.

Having said all of this, Iím wondering where the benefit is for me to renew my membership? Can you tell me what my $45 is for?
    Last edited by ltdann; 09-10-2015 at 10:00 AM.
    Life's short . . . Hunt hard

Quote Originally Posted by ltdann View Post
    I can't find a "Nuke the baby gay whales for Jesus" T-shirt anywhere!

Thanks

Good points ltdann, I'm down in San Diego and have paid the yearly membership for the past few years just so I could use the cooler. 3 of the 4 times I've accessed the cooler were while the club was closed.
    I've also always made sure to leave everything cleaner than I've found it and have even left cleaning supplies behind since I bring my own.
    This year I didn't buy a membership since I'm not hunting VAFB, but I'd be hard pressed to buy one in the future if the cooler is going to be closed down non-operating hours.
    I understand the frustration with people that can't clean up behind themselves, as I've seen the messes that have been left. Just not sure that restricting the cooler is the best solution, or financially beneficial to the club.

Last edited by DAQ80; 09-10-2015 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks

DAQ, exactly my point. If we're paying to use something, it should be on our schedule. I don't buy the 6 day defrost thing. As hot as it's been, overnight would do it. Something's not adding up here and right now, I've no incentive to renew my membership.
    Life's short . . . Hunt hard

Quote Originally Posted by ltdann View Post
    I can't find a "Nuke the baby gay whales for Jesus" T-shirt anywhere!

Thanks

Itdann,

My relationship with the club is really is no more than a messenger. I voluntarily created the unofficial Rod & Gun Club website and pay for it with my own funds. Due to the fact that the cost of keeping it going has increased over time, I reluctantly included ads to subsidize my costs. (And lately, it's not covering half my expenses.) I created the club forum primary as a means to communicate important information. Therefore, if you haven't signed up on the forum, there is no way to reach you with updates other than what I post on the website. The title "Club" is meaningless because it no longer operates as a true club. It's under complete Air Force control now. Club meetings stopped about 9 years ago.

I recommend anyone to make their official complaints at any of the following three ways.

1. Complete a VAFB Base Commander Action Line form at: http://www.vandenberg.af.mil/questions/topic.asp?id=1509

2. Interactive Customer Evaluation (ICE) https://ice.disa.mil/index.cfm?fa=ca...dep=*DoD&sc=15

3. Call the club and talk to Bob - (805) 606-4560.

Although I have some strong opinions, I try to stay in the natural zone and don't put myself in the middle of these situations when comes to "Club" operational matters.
    Last edited by DaveGray; 09-10-2015 at 10:33 PM.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster

Thanks

Well if your that unhappy with the gun club quit going out there nobody makes you use it. Same thing as last time the cooler went out Holiday weekends all the hunters from out of town not saying it was a out of town hunter but always happens around this time HMMMMMMMMMMM well enough said the club will be there weather you sign up or not good luck to all ( Bob your all right in my book )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oakey View Post
    Well if your that unhappy with the gun club quit going out there nobody makes you use it.
    Same thing as last time the cooler went out Holiday weekends all the hunters from out of town not saying it was a out of town hunter but always happens around this time HMMMMMMMMMMM well enough said the club will be there weather you sign up or not good luck to all ( Bob your all right in my book )
    Yea that's pretty much what we said, thanks for the input. Not sure what your affiliation is with the club but I hope it's nothing official.

Nobody said whether it was or wasn't out of town hunters. The point was the club makes a decent amount of money from out of towners, and we gladly pay the fees, mainly just to use the cooler. If you take that away, sure the club will be there, it just won't have as much money.

Last edited by DAQ80; 09-11-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks

I am a Rod and Gun Club member and while I utilize the services offered, I do not use the cooler as I live close by and can skin and hang my deer at home. I also use my own refrigeration to age my meat before cleaning and packing it. For the majority of our visiting hunters the only viable option has been the club's third hut offering of skinning, cooling and butchering facilities to safely and efficiently process their meat. Before this many of our visiting hunters who stayed in Fam Camp or the camp in c3 could hang their deer in the trees behind camp (not anymore that's for sure) and they would usually quarter and ice it for transport. Now week six is upon us and the rules are being changed with little official notification and lots of hunters coming in unaware of the changes.

Abuses by members and non members alike are unfortunately not uncommon but I would argue not rampant either. I just talked to Bob at the club and he said as soon as he can get the last deer out of the cooler (only one deer in there according to Bob) then he can defrost for 24 hrs and get it up and running. Right now it will not go below 40 so hopefully a defrost will do it. He seemed to indicate they would back off the 11th-16th in favor of defrost of 24 hrs and then up and running. The problem is only during operating hours (I did not get a chance to ask about this part of the rule change) because then you better not shoot your deer on Monday or after 5:30 today because your SOL. The real risk of meat spoilage, especially in this heat, is almost assured without the facilities available.

Bob said he went up the chain of command for approval of these changes, but I honestly think command needs to rethink some of this. Bob said the main problem was more the trash truck unable to lift the container on Tuesday because it was so full of trimmings and hides, most of which were not bagged. The result was someone getting in there and manually removing some of the trash (could not imagine the smell) to alleviate the weight according to Bob.

The same dirt-bags who misuse the facilities, trash the range and generally abuse the facilities offered by the club ruin it for the majority of members who always try and do right. Don't penalize everyone for the errors of the few jerks who abuse it.

Thanks

Who needs the gun club anyway, close it down.

Thanks

This may or may not be the forum for this idea but its the best I have. I have been a member for 5 years. I always find everyone there polite and helpful. I love the range facility and find it insulting that we do not have such facility on the any Marine instillation that I know of. I enjoy the company I find around the skinning station and the cooler. I think the solution to end the abuse and the finger pointing is raising the membership fee to cover the cost of match keys to the door lock. Every year you turn in your key and receive the new key. Charge for lost keys. This ends the cell phone buddy hook ups. That same key can also unlock the trash can gates. We multi key armory's and combat vehicles so I dont think this is a great leap for any of us. I dont think any of us want to quarter our deer out and store them in coolers when many of us drive 200-400 miles to hunt this great place. I will note Saturday was a zoo down there. Lines of trucks, gambles set up off beds ect ect.

Thanks

I've already heard some negative comments about the possibility of hunters paying an additional $20 to use the cooler. You know what? Some don't have a clue that our current membership fees are extremely low and haven't been raised in a while. I traveled full-time RVing for 4.5 years. During that time, I was able to visit other gun clubs, some on military installations and other civilian privately owned clubs. I visited one private club in IL and their individual membership was $300 a year and it was $500 for the family. Some clubs, in addition to the membership fees, will charge a range usage fee for the day (pistol and rifle--besides the shotgun ranges). Non-member guest pay about triple the day use fee.

There are lots of improvements that could be made at VAFB R&G Club, but it cost lots of money too. Although I've never seen the financials, I'm confident that the current fee structure will not cover the cost of the needed improvements and upgrades. There are few volunteers that do a lot of work there and get very little credit. To my knowledge, there is no oversight committee and I don't know if it's even authorized by the Air Force.

Therefore, if, we the members really want improvements, we have to be willing to pay more for our privilege and stop choking the club's needed resources by being unwilling to help out. We could have a great club facility similar to the one I visited at Mountain Home AFB, Idaho. Unfortunately, I don't anticipate that happening soon considering the current fee structure.
    Last edited by DaveGray; 09-13-2015 at 11:08 PM.
    Dave Gray
    Webmaster

Thanks

Why not offer a general membership and a hunter membership? Raise the price on the general membership which includes use of all facilities for those who come to the range on a regular basis, then add a cheaper membership for those people who only come and use the facilities for a couple weekends all year. This second membership would give access to what the hunters want most, the cleaning station and cold storage, and maybe 1 hours worth of range time for checking their zero before the hunt or something. this way the hunters get access to what they want most, without paying to maintain the entire range, and the people who use the whole range on a regular basis can support the day to day range overhead.

Just a thought based on some of the comments I've seen on this thread. I'm not a member and I don't use the facilities. I'm just thinking that if I did go there, I wouldn't want to pay extra on top of my membership for what I do use, when I'm already paying a membership for everything I don't use. Does that make sense?