Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 DIY Bear

Thanks

Default 2015 DIY Bear

One of the most difficult hunts I've done - I'm still trying to recover. The weather (hot), the terrain (rocky, steep and downfall), the bugs (flies, skeeters and bees) and a good-sized bear all conspired to beat the hell out of me and my hunting partner.

Thanks

A few miles up in the backcountry at sunrise, glassing all morning with no luck. Break for lunch under the cedars and a short dirt nap, then back at it until about 6pm when I need more wilderness food and hydration.

Scanning every canyon and drainage with my binos, only to spot movement with my "bear" eyes to my left.

Thanks

I nice sized bear browsing left to right slightly above me. I opted to just stay still, in the lucky event that the thing would do the "stalking" for me - and that she did. She came right across my field of vision at 30 yards. I held my bow and arrows in front of my face to break up my features and waited until she put her head down. I drew and settled my pin and released.

Seemed like I hit her hard, but she just got little startled, then stood still for a couple of seconds, then she bolted.

Thanks

Had some good blood, but then the trail became impossible to follow. With darkness approaching quickly and a possible wounded bear ready to exact some revenge, my partner and I decided to come back at first light.

Thanks

We did a grid search, and at first came up empty (now getting that sick feeling of losing a wounded animal and about ready to hang up my bow). Turns out the bear did a big circle and died less than a hundred yards from where I shot her. The swarm of bees gave away her location.

The entry was a little far back, resulting in less than perfect blood trail, but the exit was right on.
    Last edited by Wild1; 08-18-2015 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks

Now we had a ton of work in front of us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Game Warden, who we called when we got back to camp, said she was fairly old and about 250lbs. Butcher said about 240lbs. I think they were both over, maybe about 225lbs.<br><br type="_moz">

Thanks

Thats a nice bear. Ive noticed that wounded animals sometimes due big circles when hit. I assume they are trying to figure out what happened.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild1 View Post
    One of the most difficult hunts I've done - I'm still trying to recover. The weather (hot), the terrain (rocky, steep and downfall), the bugs (flies, skeeters and bees) and a good-sized bear all conspired to beat the hell out of me and my hunting partner.

We all should be so lucky!

Nice write-up, nice bear, and in black to boot. Congratulations!

Thanks

Awesome animal. Do you plan to make a rug?

Meet on the Level, part on the Square.

Thanks

I've never eaten bear. I've always heard negative things about the taste so I have never fathom ed hunting it. I want a bear rug really bad but I'm not going to kill one for its hide and waste the meat. Recently a friend told me he was going bear hunting with others who do it each year. He said they love the meat. They grind it mostly and mix it with pig fat and say it tastes just like ground beef. If that is the case I will surely hunt for bear. I do want to taste it first though. Any info on eating it, ease pm me.

Meet on the Level, part on the Square.

Thanks

Congrats Wild1 u have been whacking and stacking critters like crazy this year.
    Nice size bear for sure, thanks for sharing!.....tra
    Former Staff Shooter For ( DCA ) DEER CROSSING ARCHERY >-------->
    Lee County Archers Member Ft. Myers Florida
    Florida Archery Association / NFAA Member 10 yrs.
    Former Member of California Bowmen Hunters 8 yrs.
    Shooting Stick N String for 20+ yrs.
    Predator Archery
    JHO King of Selfies
    JHO Godfather of Tapatalk
    Fled The Greedy State Ca.
    Florida Hog Hunting, No Lic.! No Tags! Don't be Jealous!> BTW There's No Pigs in TEJON..lol

Thanks

Great story! Love the chest patch.

Thanks

Robert -

I made last year's bear into a rug, like dthome said, the white patch is darn cool, so I was thinking maybe a half-mount that would show the patch, for this one.

The bears I've killed have bee very tasty, just make sure you cook them well - no rare or medium-rare. Perfect for tacos, burritos, meatloafs......etc.

2014 bear, now a rug:

Thanks

Very nice, looks like you gutted her and brought her out whole, Dead weight is work.

Thanks

Congrats! Nice looking bear.

Thanks

Nice bear Wild1, and good job on your tracking job.

Thanks

Love the white on the chest

Thanks

Nice bear. Job well done and a nice write up. I too like the white patch.
    "Let no man be ashamed to kneel in the great out of doors, remember the woods were Gods first temples" : Ernest Hemingway

Thanks

Thanks fellas.

So we get back to camp and decide to skin out the bear, so we pick a little ravine across from our camp so we don't upset any children in the campground. The camp host comes over and freaks out a bit and accuses us of poaching. In the meantime, the game warden is on his way to meet us (we called him to validate the tag). Game warden arrives and the camp host wants him to arrest us. He tells the lady, that we called him, so he's pretty sure we did nothing wrong.

Game warden turns out to be a super-cool guy, professional and personable - as a steady stream of cars (on lookers) parade past our "skinning ravine" to have a look. Circus-type atmosphere had myself, my hunting partner and the game warden cracking up.

Paper work gets finished, premolar pulled, skinning is done and the warden goes to have a talk with the camp host to assure her that everything was legal and ethical. Strange days.

Thanks

Those camp host can be sooooo crazed, we had the kids squirrel fishing to pass the time one afternoon while camping and got read the riot act about how squirrels were a protected species, freaking nuts she was.

Thanks

Holy crap! Call the cops, poachers amongst the civilized folk.

We'll done Wild1. Bitchen' diamond patch on her.
    Any day in the outdoors is a damn good day.

Thanks

What general area? Nice bear well done!

Thanks

crazy -

San Bernardino National Forest.

Thanks

Oh wow... just checked the regs... didn't realize you can pursue Bear earlier with Archery. "Learn something new everyday!" Was this one taken somewhere between those same two locations you mentioned last year?

Thanks

GDog -

That's why I like to hunt this early, before the boom sticks start sounding off and sending the bears into hiding. Of course, you compromise their hides, which generally aren't as thick and as much hair as their winter coats (although this years bear has a good coat, no rubs).

To answer your question: sort of, kind of, but not really. The SBNF is big, I generally scout for two months before the season starts (I don't golf) and place a minimum of six trail cameras. It does take a lot of time, effort and gas $, but it's still a lot cheaper than going with an outfitter, and much more rewarding. The hard part is finding a good sized bear, with a good coat, that doesn't have cubs. Good luck!!

Thanks

Congrats! Sorry the camp host was a turd but Sometimes that happens! We tok our bear last year to a fire station to meet the game warden. Everyone was real cool about it, taking pics and everything. Good job!
    Living the dream in Utah!

Thanks

Out of curiosity, is it normal to call the game warden to you? Also, how do you get the game warden's phone number? Also, what's the difference between a game warden and a ranger at the ranger station? I've only ever noticed Ranger stations and CDF stations. Maybe these are questions for another thread.

Bummer about the camp host. I marvel at people who go off the handle about a topic they know nothing about. Like it never occurs to them to do a quick look into the topic to make sure they aren't talking out of their a$$.
    Last edited by Wandering Archer; 08-19-2015 at 06:54 AM.

Thanks

WArcher -

For bear tags everything is a bit different. You're supposed to get your tag validated after you leave the field, en route to home/taxidermist or butcher. But, unlike deer or other tags, a fire fighter or police officer CANNOT validate your tag, only a game warden can. You can obtain their phone number from fish and game website, or call dispatch and they'll call a field officer. A Ranger works for the Forest Service, a Game Warden works for Fish and Game (or "wildlife")

Hope this helps, if I've made a mistake someone will correct me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild1 View Post
    GDog -

That's why I like to hunt this early, before the boom sticks start sounding off and sending the bears into hiding. Of course, you compromise their hides, which generally aren't as thick and as much hair as their winter coats (although this years bear has a good coat, no rubs).

To answer your question: sort of, kind of, but not really. The SBNF is big, I generally scout for two months before the season starts (I don't golf) and place a minimum of six trail cameras. It does take a lot of time, effort and gas $, but it's still a lot cheaper than going with an outfitter, and much more rewarding. The hard part is finding a good sized bear, with a good coat, that doesn't have cubs. Good luck!!
    Feel pretty sure I've found a tight trail where bears are coming down thru it. And the trail is like a mini Ravine! Should be able to climb up one of the very vertical sides this trail it is funnelling down thru. Looks like there is this one perfect spot to setup at where they have to climb over two downed tree logs which effectively prevent little old human me from travelling up higher into this tight trail without doing a lot of clearing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast