Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2015 DIY Bear

Thanks

GDog -

Sounds promising, but why not set up a trail camera (or two) to make sure (point it down/up the trail, not across it). Might as well validate your hunch so you don't waste your time, plus you can pattern them - won't do you any good if they're coming thru at night.

Thanks

Gorgeous Bear with that white patch, great story and i hope to find similar success in D8's back country later this year. Thanks for the as always entertaining stories

Thanks

CONGRATS on an awesome bear. Do you use alocal butcher? Thx

Thanks

OnShore -

Always important to find a good quality, reasonably priced, taxidermist and butcher. I butcher my own deer, but for bear and hogs, I prefer to take it to a butcher - sometimes the "time" it takes is just as important as the money.

My butcher is "Leon's Custom Meat Cutting" in an unincorporated area of Riverside, CA. Not great business people, but awesome butchers. Recommended.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild1 View Post
    and place a minimum of six trail cameras.
    Oh wow... ok... looks like I know what I'm going to be buying each pay period. Only recently got and started using my first cam.

And yes... I like the idea of getting in there before the boomsticks. I figure statistically it's got to help my chances at least somewhat.

So... when pursuing Bear with Archery... can you have pistol on you as backup? I know you cannot for AO Deer. But I'm just wondering if since Bear has a little more danger associated with it, if they allow a hunter also having a sidearm just in case. Because I mean... you're not buying an AO specific tag when you buy the Bear Tag, right? It's just a Bear Tag... good anywhere statewide. (Gonna go look at regs now)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGDog View Post
    Oh wow... ok... looks like I know what I'm going to be buying each pay period. Only recently got and started using my first cam.

And yes... I like the idea of getting in there before the boomsticks. I figure statistically it's got to help my chances at least somewhat.

So... when pursuing Bear with Archery... can you have pistol on you as backup? I know you cannot for AO Deer. But I'm just wondering if since Bear has a little more danger associated with it, if they allow a hunter also having a sidearm just in case. Because I mean... you're not buying an AO specific tag when you buy the Bear Tag, right? It's just a Bear Tag... good anywhere statewide. (Gonna go look at regs now)

Bear has an archery season, and a general season, just like deer does. During bear archery, you can not legally possess a firearm. During bear general season, you may possess a firearm while hunting with a bow. Keep it safe, and only release an arrow if the bear is facing away from you, and perhaps everyone else there too.

Thanks

Wind In your face, bear looking away and then become the tree or bush or rock, let him walk away and bleed out.
    A bear can live 5 minutes with out a heart, that is 5 minutes of mauling I don't think you want.

Thanks

Nice bear and great job on the recovery.

Thanks

You're the man, Wild1! Way to get after it...again!

Thanks

WArcher -

For bear tags everything is a bit different. You're supposed to get your tag validated after you leave the field, en route to home/taxidermist or butcher. But, unlike deer or other tags, a fire fighter or police officer CANNOT validate your tag, only a game warden can. You can obtain their phone number from fish and game website, or call dispatch and they'll call a field officer. A Ranger works for the Forest Service, a Game Warden works for Fish and Game (or "wildlife")

Hope this helps, if I've made a mistake someone will correct me.
    Wow, thanks! Dang, I didn't even think that validation would possibly be different. Geeze, this state is such a PIA to get all the laws straight.

Thanks

Hey Wild1... question.... while scouting for deer for the upcoming AO tag this weekend... I had my first ever face-to-face encounter with not just 1, but 2 Black Bears!! Unfortunately we didn't have our bows with us since the idea was we were scouting for Deers and that season doesn't begin yet (Dang It!).

I have several questions for you (and BubbleHide):
    ================================
    The 1st Bear was head-on at 20 yds... an arrow should be able to penetrate his skull dead-on between the eyes right?
    Since these 2 bears got spooked... will they avoid those areas for a certain number of days? Or will they settle back down into their routine same ol' same ol' the very next day? Since this is where the water and food is, I'm assuming they have no choice, right?
    I've read all over the place that Bears tend to run in the direction that they were currently headed in when they get shot. Since this 1st one was soo close and literally headed right at me... since he's not presenting the best shot opportunity... do I shoot for the head and just be prepared for some crazy sh!t to possibly throw down? Or do I try to startle him on purpose to see if I can somehow pull-off a quick shot while he's in the middle of turning tail to run away? I'm presuming I try to seize the opportunity of that frontal head shot, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehide View Post
    Keep it safe, and only release an arrow if the bear is facing away from you, and perhaps everyone else there too.
    ^^^^ Sorry... just now saw this. Thanks BubbleHide.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Wandering Archer;2482610]Out of curiosity, is it normal to call the game warden to you? Also, how do you get the game warden's phone number?
    here are the Phone #s by locations
    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...=101713&inline

Thanks

GDog -

Sorry, I'm just now seeing your questions from above. Avoid a headshot, it's not gonna happen - low percentage for success (plus, the skull will be ruined). Wait for a broadside, or quartering away shot. Also, don't take a shot at a moving target, especially with a bow. Remember, this is a bear, and the "crazy shit" will just be the hunter getting badly mauled.

About the direction they run: you shouldn't be shooting a moving target, so they'll be stationary. I've seen them run every direction, sometimes they do a spin and just bolt. After the shot, just stand still, don't move and they'll run right past you.

You're not going to be able to pull off a "quick shot", wait until the bear presents a broadside shot when it's not moving. This is part of the challenge - it's not an easy hunt. Bears are very quick and fast - you'll never be able to shoot a startled bear - they disappear in a blink of an eye.

Thanks

Bears, for the most part are creatures of habit. So, unless they feel pressured, they will be back. However, they usually have a good sized territory, and where they are in that territory is generally rotating. But, if there is a good food source, they will stick with it for a while, or until it is diminished. My bet is that you will see them there, or see fresh sign of them there, the only question is when.

Thanks

After four plus months of degreasing (only time will tell if it was long enough), I finally pulled the skull, whitened, glued and sealed it. All teeth recovered (except the premolar pulled by the warden).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

WArcher -

For bear tags everything is a bit different. You're supposed to get your tag validated after you leave the field, en route to home/taxidermist or butcher. But, unlike deer or other tags, a fire fighter or police officer CANNOT validate your tag, only a game warden can. You can obtain their phone number from fish and game website, or call dispatch and they'll call a field officer. A Ranger works for the Forest Service, a Game Warden works for Fish and Game (or "wildlife")

Hope this helps, if I've made a mistake someone will correct me.
    First, once again congratulations!

This thread came up again, and read through the above. You have it almost totally correct, for only one thing. I have never had a Warden countersign my bear tag. The regulation/law actually states that it must be countersigned by a F&W employee. Obviously a Warden is a F&W employee so they can as can many other F&W employees. I usually just take my bear skull (I usually pack in so I debone my animals) to a F&W fish hatchery. If you call F&W after the fact, they usually send you to a regional office, for me that's a bit far and inconvenient; so you may want to ask if there is anyplace closer, or just call your local F&W hatchery.

By the way, the skull came out super nice.

Thanks

The way I read your post ^^^^ seems like two issues here: 1. validating your bear tag, and 2. pulling the premolar. Presenting the skull is fine for the extraction of the premolar, but NOT for the validation of the bear tag.

Technically, for the validation, you must have the hide in your possession (the actual tag is supposed to be attached to the hide), so the skull won't meet this requirement. Obviously, the skull is what you want for the tooth extraction, and I've done something similar to you in this regard (a visit to a Fish and Game regional office, which was close to me). I agree with you on the F&W employee, as long as you have the hide in your possession, in the allowed time frame.

In any case, I'm sure some exceptions can me made at the discretion of F&W. Maybe a F&W person can clarify, if I (we) made a mistake. Thanks again!

Thanks

Your right, I have alwYs had the hide with me, or it was still attached to the skull.

Thanks

Lots of good info. I'm guessing that bear is not a hunt you do alone right? I have found good tracks this year but think I have lots of homework to do before hunting next year. By the time I was up in the woods, there was already snow on the ground. Made it easy to see tracks but lots of work to get around.

Thanks

KTKT70 -

Sorry, I'm just now seeing your post above. I've bear hunted alone plenty of times, of those times, I've only been successful once. Obviously it's easier getting a bear out with two or more people, but it can certainly be done alone. If hunting alone, be sure you have a plan, and the ability to execute it (proper skinning, quartering and multiple trips out, deboning and cooling the meat). Also, don't forget to leave your hunting trip info with a friend, or two - just in case you run into some bad luck in the woods. Good luck and post up about your experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12