Thread: Issues sighting in

Thanks

Default Issues sighting in

I have a Ruger 77 in 270. It's always shot core loks well enough that I didn't think twice about ever grabbing them. Well I only took two shots with it last year and two the year before. I figured it was due to be sighted back in.
    First shot was in the X. Second and third were an inch apart 6" above the X. All at 100 yds. I gave it about 3-4 minutes to cool between shots, and about 5-10 minutes between groups. I shot 4 groups, and every time the cold bore shot was dead on, and the warm shots were high. It has never done this before. I have had this for about 8 years. Any ideas?

Also, I was shooting a semi I. 223 to fill the waiting, and did not have any issues. 1.5-2" consistent groups.

I cleaned the hell out of it tonight, pulled the stock, sanded a couple places where it looked like the stock may touch the barrel, and bought some better ammo to try tomorrow.

Any thoughts on the topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks

I think you have done everything I would have tried. The only other thing I can think of right now is the way you were resting the stock or barrel on the bench or shooting bags. I suspect you were always doing the same thing but the amount of pressure you apply to the sling, the barrel or the stock can make the bullets change point of impact. I doubt this is your problem but like I said you already checked everything else unless your scope mounts are moving.

Thanks

One shot is not really enough to make a gun change point of impact due to heat. The scope or mounts causing the problem is not likely because you say it is consistent and in my experience once scopes are the issue the gun does not return to the original point of impact consistently. I have shot the 77 a few times and in my opinion some of them hit me pretty hard. The stock did not fit me well or the recoil pad was just that thin solid pad from the factory. Anyway is there any chance that on the first shot you are calm and relaxed and you tense up for the other shots because it hits you hard? Were the gun stock screws tight before you removed the stock? How tight did you get them when you re-assembled the gun. Tight is good but too tight can create issues. Some better shooters might have some different ideas but those are all things I have had experience with. Trying new ammo is a very good idea.
    Just kinda thinking out loud and throwing ideas against the wall to see if they stick.

Thanks

I was shooting prone laying on a rock, shooting off of my backpack. My only reason not to think its the scope or grip is that I only had about an inch of side to side shot deviation.
    It has to be the heat in the barrel right?
    Kinda got me worried that my barrel is warped or damaged.

Thanks

Stock screws were solid. I didn't know a spec for tightening them, so the lug bolt went to 45 in/#. The ones in the trigger guard went to 35 in/#.

Thanks

Had a similar problem with my son in law, he shot nice groups with a Barrowed rifle he had used of a couple of years
    Got his new rifle and first shot was good second and third was lucky to hit the paper.
    ended up getting a Recoil pad and shorting the stock, I think it took the anticipation of the ouch factor out of
    the second and third shots. He says it just fits now.
    Last edited by OPAH; 08-05-2015 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks

For me it looks like your barrel is not completely free floated. As soon as barrel hits up, it extends, presses against the forend the shot goes up.
    I had similar issue, so i made sure that not a $1 bill passes between the barrel and the forend but a postal card folded twice.
    No such problem anymore.

Thanks

Try bench rest shooting. Sandbags in front and one sandbag under the stock, use your non trigger hand under the stock to get the correct elevation. This way, any flinch is completely eliminated, even if you do something wrong, the rifle will stay on target.

If the same thing happens, kill with your first shot I guess
    I don't often talk about my public land spots but when I do I lie.

Thanks

Default Issues sighting in

I did grab some bags today, but the range close to the jobsite has that perfect rock so I still shot prone.

Took 3 shots to foul the barrel. Wind was a little gusty so I'm not worried about the side to side drift.

Four shots with the Barnes

A few shots with these. They use the Same Barnes bullet, only seated to the second ogive.. Their website says 3100 from a 24" barrel.

I shot a total of about 8 of each. The flyer in the first Barnes picture was when I tried pulling into my shoulder by holding the bag under the butt. All of the other shots I took gripping the fore end and pulling it into my collar bone. That is how I felt comfortable.

I also shot the last couple core loks in the box for giggles.

Either way much better. I think one of the main problems was I had gotten lazy cleaning and had just been using the bore snake. Also, the stock contact at the fore end did not help.

Thank you all for putting up with my stressing out. As I said, I have never had this gun shoot that bad. I thought I might have broken it.

I was hoping the Prograde shot better as they were $10/box less than the name brand Barnes bullets.
    Last edited by bsanders8181; 08-05-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks

All look "minute of deer" to me. Confidence helps in the field, good luck this season.
    Think me not unkind and rude,

That I walk alone through grove and glen.

I go to seek the God of the wood,

And fetch His word to men.

Thanks

I have a gun that really likes those Barnes loads. I also have been very lucky with the Hornady GMX bullets and they are typically slightly less than the Barnes or at least where I buy from they are. Tying new ammo is costly but there is nothing better to build your confidence with than finding a load that makes one big hole on paper. When I find that load I generally stock up on them. Not much more than a tank or 2 of gas so I order a few boxes at a time. Those Barnes did look good and they might be your best option but you never know until you try others.

Thanks

Can't expect better results than those groups with a stock rifle and stock ammo. Deviation between rounds can differ greatly with stock ammo causing some fliers from time to time, but like others said those groups are minute of deer. One other thing that'll tighten those groups up for sure is lightening your trigger. If it's bone stock unmolested I think it's set at about 5lbs or more. I believe the 77s are really simple to adjust, get it to about 3lbs and you'll see those groups shrink some.

Also, if you're going to test ammo for groups get different targets. It's tough to hold tight on the type of target you have there. Get one with grids so you can hold your cross hair on 90 degree angles.
    Last edited by CL&RR; 08-06-2015 at 08:16 AM.