Thread: January 8, 2014....The day life changed forever

MULEY51 is offline Forever Hunting Kiss The Ring
    Thanks

Default January 8, 2014....The day life changed forever

I was at work when my cellphone rang. On the other end was my daughter-in-law bringing me the news I never wanted to hear....there had been a helicopter crash in the Atlantic. Of the five man crew, four had been found with two being alive and two dead. The fifth man was my son Sean (formerly ETC2NA on here) and he was missing. My heart sank and I bawled like a baby, knowing in my heart he went down the the helo. It took the Navy divers six days to locate his remains and bring him to the surface...he was found in the remains of the cockpit, still strapped in his seat. Standing on the pier, watching his flag-draped body being carried off the rescue ship, I thought my heart would stop.

As the one year anniversary date arrives, I believe the pain is just as intense. I think I miss him more now than ever. Those who say it will get better with time, well I hope they are right because I don't want to feel like this for the rest of my life.

I know he would not want me to say this, but I'm angry beyond words with the Navy he loved. We had talked about it several times and he believed he could land his helo no matter what, but the one thing he worried about was maintenance. After reading the Navy's "incident report" it was clear, and was acknowledged by the Navy, that a lack of proper maintenance is exactly what got him killed. He had zero chance of escaping the onboard fire.

God bless and keep you Son. You were and always will be my hero. I love you and miss you so much. Dad
    "Democracy ends when the government takes from those willing to work and gives to those who aren't"
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Stay strong muley... time will heal the pain brother. Your son died doing what he loved best. I still remember the post where you gave us the heart breaking news. Rip Sean and Thank you for your service...

Thanks

I m just honored that u shared your son with us on here... I myself lost 3 uncles just within the last 3 months.... All we can do is honor them and keep on...
    Pig is what i do very well...cuz my only question is...how many do u want me to leave???

Thanks

Keep your head up sir
    Thank you Sean for your service

Sent from my 📡

Thanks

Bless you and your family.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

Sorry for you and your families loss. I couldn't imagine. Stay strong!

Thanks

Muley I come from a navy family. My father, myself and one of my sons. I remember reading the news of the helo down and than sometime later you posting that it was Sean. I don't know you or Sean at all but that was heartbreaking. I do know that it won't ever be easier and time won't completely heal your pain. All I know is that you and your wife will perservire and go on. That is what we do. I think of you and Sean and know that many others do also.
    Fair winds and following sea's sailor.

Thanks

Sir, I'm very sorry
    2015 Matthews Z2
    29in draw at 55lbs with truglo Rival Hunter sights
    PSE stl hunter with Montecs
    Ripcord cord red

USMC Semper Fi

Remingtion 887 and 770
    Marlin 30-30

Thanks

Yesterday I was at the shop and heard a noise. Looked up and saw a helicopter (not something I see on a daily basis here in the sticks).

I never met or talked to Sean in person, but every time I see a helicopter I think of him --- and I always will.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

Thanks

Muley, it's an honor to have you share your loss with us. Clearly it was an unnecessary loss, and your anger is justified. Having no children, I can only imagine the pain you are in. God bless you, and Sean.

Thanks

Muley, Your son will be certainly missed in body but his spirit resides. I hope you and your family the best moving forward.

My father passed away the same day three years ago. I never thought I'd think about him so much after his passing. Sometimes I have a experience only he would appreciate, that's when we speak.

It's temporary my friend, we shall all be together again.
    Until then, enjoy life, that's what our heroes would want.

You have plenty to be proud of, god bless you and your family.

Thanks

Thank you for sharing your sorrow here with us. I know It's little consolation but there are many great people on this forum that I would call friend. A lot of them are current and X-military and can at least empathize with you regarding the loss of your son. I for one can not even imagine loosing a son. My wife lost her dad (a marine) when she was just 14 and she said the pain never goes away but like the man said we go because it is what we do. Sending lots of love and prays to you and your family brother. Our honest heart felt condolences...
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

so sorry
    "Any fool can critize, condemn and complain-and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving."

Thanks

Muley,

Hold your head high; Sean would want you to do that and gave you every reason to be able to. He would expect you to grieve, but would want you to let go because Sean knows Christ and you will see him again. Don't lose sight of what Sean left behind, either. His wife and children needs you and they need for you to be strong; they've lost too.

Grief is such a raw emotion; I'm so sorry that your family has to bear this burden.

Lifting you up and asking for God's warm embrace for you and your family,
    Belch

/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=O|||||O
    ()_) ()_)~--)_)

There are two types of countries in the world today.
    Those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon.

Thanks

Be strong in the Lord and know that you'll see your son and your dad again one day in Heaven where there is no pain or sorrow but only joy. As always, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Last edited by P304X4; 01-12-2015 at 06:03 PM.
    Minds are terrible things to waste...especially when they can be so much fun to play with!
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Thanks

Stay strong, brother.
    Troll
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
    -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thewolfman View Post
    I m just honored that u shared your son with us on here... I myself lost 3 uncles just within the last 3 months.... All we can do is honor them and keep on...
    Very sorry for your loss.

2014 was a horrible year...first, my boy, then my FIL, then my MIL, then my Dad.

Sorry about your uncles. God rest them all.
    "Democracy ends when the government takes from those willing to work and gives to those who aren't"
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Yesterday I was at the shop and heard a noise. Looked up and saw a helicopter (not something I see on a daily basis here in the sticks).

I never met or talked to Sean in person, but every time I see a helicopter I think of him --- and I always will.
    Thanks CS.

We live near a Marine airfield and they fly the same helo, the 53, that Sean flew. They fly over our house every day. The wife is having a hard time with this, but there is nothing we can do...except move, which we are not going to do.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Thank you to ALL for your support and prayers.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Our condolences to you and your family. We lost our son, Sgt. Benjamin Smith, at 11:45am, Thursday, March 21st, 2013. There are no words. The grieving process is bearable. A little less intense over time. Wounds heal but they leave scars. We cope with the loss but it's never completely out of our minds. Certain smells, sounds, phrases, sights, places, etc. can bring our emotions to the surface again. We let them come, shed more tears and move on comforted by the belief that we will see him again in a better place. I visit the Bakersfield National Cemetery twice a week. We support the cemetery and help with holiday presentations. See attached link.
    http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/...ery..-an-honor.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell, English novelist

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by #1Predator View Post
    Our condolences to you and your family. We lost our son, Sgt. Benjamin Smith, at 11:45am, Thursday, March 21st, 2013. There are no words. The grieving process is bearable. A little less intense over time. Wounds heal but they leave scars. We cope with the loss but it's never completely out of our minds. Certain smells, sounds, phrases, sights, places, etc. can bring our emotions to the surface again. We let them come, shed more tears and move on comforted by the belief that we will see him again in a better place. I visit the Bakersfield National Cemetery twice a week. We support the cemetery and help with holiday presentations. See attached link.
    http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/...ery..-an-honor.
    My sincere condolences to you and your family. I know your pain. I wish I could visit my son's grave, but it is in Virginia where he died. I understand certain things bringing back memories and know the feelings they bring up.
    Again, my condolences to your family.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Sean Snyder (ETC2NA) was my father and Craig Snyder (MULEY51) was my grandfather. I've just gotten into the JHO community and I love reading their posts. Both have passed away, today actually being the anniversary of my father's death. They both are incredible role models and I thank you all for keeping up with them and your kind words.

Thanks

Bradyldrocks, my deepest condolences to you and your family. Your father and grandfather are a missed part of the community here. I look forward to your participation here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehide View Post
    Bradyldrocks, my deepest condolences to you and your family. Your father and grandfather are a missed part of the community here. I look forward to your participation here.
    Amen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bradyldrocks View Post
    Sean Snyder (ETC2NA) was my father and Craig Snyder (MULEY51) was my grandfather. I've just gotten into the JHO community and I love reading their posts. Both have passed away, today actually being the anniversary of my father's death. They both are incredible role models and I thank you all for keeping up with them and your kind words.
    As so many of us have said, we're very sorry for you loss.

We're glad you made the leap aboard. Sounds like you have the makings to be a fine addition to JHO. You certainly come highly recommended. The rest is up to you. Welcome aboard!

/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=O|||||O
    ()_) ()_)~--)_)

There are two types of countries in the world today.
    Those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon.

Thanks

Welcome to jho. I know your grandfather was a good man. Im sorry for your loss of your father and grandfather.

Thanks

Welcome aboard brady, sincerest condolences, I'll bet you will make them proud in whatever you do in life.
    It's impossible to know everything, but it is possible to surround yourself with those that do...Henry Ford...kind of reminds me of JHO!

Thanks

Bradyldrocks welcome aboard. I remember reading about your fathers helo going down and then sometime later your grandfather posting that it was Sean. I think all of us here were touched by your father and your grandfathers passing.
    I am so glad you are here. It's awesome having your family back on board
    Fritojay

Thanks

#1 Preditor I'm sorry for your loss also i know words don't do justice to the loss of a loved one, much less a son or daughter....god speed to all, may the new year bring...more....what we cherish...
    Last edited by hunterdoug; 01-09-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    It's impossible to know everything, but it is possible to surround yourself with those that do...Henry Ford...kind of reminds me of JHO!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bradyldrocks View Post
    I'll bet their both watching over you and bursting with a great deal of pride.
    Minds are terrible things to waste...especially when they can be so much fun to play with!
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.