Thread: 7.62x39 ar build yay or nay?

Thanks

Default 7.62x39 ar build yay or nay?

I have been debating building an Ar with a local shop and have been think in doing it in 7.62x39 and wanted your thoughts on it. I would be using cheap ammo like tule or somthing unless hunting with it the owner of the shop offered to polish the feed ramp if it was jamming. Should I just stick with 223 .556?
    Well all righty then

Thanks

would it compromise the reliability?
    Well all righty then

Thanks

Im debating on building one too. It all depends on what you want to hunt. If deer building a 7.62x39 is good but if for varmint then go with a 556/223

Thanks

That is what I have read. It is a reliability issue. Things may have changed. Obviously dig into your internet research.
    It is the cheapest bang for your buck center fire round. FYI, there were some recent articles floating around about the potential increase and rarity of the 7.62 fodder due to Obama and trade restrictions on Russia. Could be BS, but I am throwing it out there.

I know you said AR, but have you thought of buying a high quality AK? Or if your mind is made up on 7.62, have you considered a Ruger Mini 30?
    "There is something about those bleating chickens that makes a man want to grab his shotgun." - Edward Abbey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quaildeath View Post
    That is what I have read. It is a reliability issue. Things may have changed. Obviously dig into your internet research.
    It is the cheapest bang for your buck center fire round. FYI, there were some recent articles floating around about the potential increase and rarity of the 7.62 fodder due to Obama and trade restrictions on Russia. Could be BS, but I am throwing it out there.

I know you said AR, but have you thought of buying a high quality AK? Or if your mind is made up on 7.62, have you considered a Ruger Mini 30?

Yes I have considered the ak and mini 30. The ak doesn't fit me right and I'm not a big fan of the mini 30, plus I really like the way you can build ars. The guy at the shop assures me it is reliable so I think I will build one
    Well all righty then

Thanks

I have 3ARs and plan on building 1 more...458 socum just cause I can

Thanks

The new .300 blackout is a pretty good one too. It has quite a higher ballistic coefficient than the 7.62 x 39. Plus all of the components of the AR-15/M4 are the same except for the barrel.
    people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. TO BE BORN FREE IS A PRIVILEGE, TO LIVE FREE IS A RIGHT, BUT TO DIE FREE IS A RESPONSIBILTY

Thanks

True but the 300bo is not for long distance. I dont like that wildcat; thats why I went with the 6.8 spcII. I really enjoy that round.

Thanks

FYI, have fun finding 300 BO at your local big 5 or walmart and the high price is an issue. Better be reloading if you are considering it.

That 300 BO was designed for suppressed SBRs. Basically, the same idea as a .45 acp, a big bullet going slllloooooowwwww, but has mass for knock down power.
    "There is something about those bleating chickens that makes a man want to grab his shotgun." - Edward Abbey

Thanks

I have seen 300BO for sale at walmart and big 5 but it was limited quantity (2-3boxes) and its not always there. Reloading is the way to go with that round because it is a "wildcat" round

Thanks

I own an ak and a 300. the ak ammo is much easier to find. But the 300 is going to come into big production very soon. I've shot out to 200 with nice accuracy. ak starts getting shakey around there. Lucky gunner.com always has 300 for pretty cheap and its fairly easy to reload
    people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. TO BE BORN FREE IS A PRIVILEGE, TO LIVE FREE IS A RIGHT, BUT TO DIE FREE IS A RESPONSIBILTY

Thanks

thats part of the reason i want a 7.62x39 because of the cheap ammo and relatively accurate at a range. probably will use it for antelope hogs and maybe deer but the cheap ammo will be good for just having fun with it.
    Well all righty then

Thanks

7.62x39 Is a dumpy round don't you think??? you may as well build It In 30-30.

at least do it in 308. but the flatter the round the better.

6.8 would be my pick just if I was going bigger then 556 cause I never liked shooting rainbows.

Thanks

Yay. I have one and love to shoot it, ammo has always been cheap and readily available. I never have had any feed issues, sounds like that's more of a problem with higher capacity magazines but that's not really a factor here in Cali.

fredneck is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

I built one last year I thought it be nice little brush but it would not shoot when i pulled the trigger no boom a friend built one too and told me that it won't Russian ammo they have hard steel primer he told to replace to firing pin with one that has a longer tip and a heavier firing spring these parts are specially made for AR's so it can shoot Russian ammo 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 mind if you puts these parts in that's all you can shoot wolf, golden bear etc.,,, if you shoot remingtons, Winchester American ammo you would need to put the regular firing pin and trigger springs back they say the special firing with the longer tip can puncture the primer on American made ammo just my 2cents. now I'm building a pistol version.. good luck!

Thanks

My New PWS MOD 1 upper in x39 has been reliable with the new C-Products Defense Mags. Mags were always the weak link in this configuration, but these new CPD mags are reported to work 100% out of the box, even in full auto operation.

Another option is the new CMMG Mutant. An AR which has a unique lower to allow the use of AK double stack mags. I read a review about one of these and it was VERY positive. Accurate and reliable. MSRP is $1500. I think I will get one of these sometime next year. Looks like a nicely engineered product.

Thanks

My carbine is a 5.56x45 Ruger mini. 100% reliable. 1 1/2 moa cold, 2 1/4 moa hot.

And you don't need a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to un-jam it like you do with an AR.

Just with one rack of the operating rod handle it clears immediately.

An AR does not have an operating rod handle. Stoner forgot to make one for it. His science project shoots fast on fully auto, but always invariably jams after several hours of shooting such as in a real combat fire fight.

Never bring a science project to a real fire fight. Although you can play with it at the rifle range ad nauseam if you like.
    Last edited by hks95134; 12-19-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Varmint_Assassin View Post
    My New PWS MOD 1 upper in x39 has been reliable with the new C-Products Defense Mags. Mags were always the weak link in this configuration, but these new CPD mags are reported to work 100% out of the box, even in full auto operation.

Another option is the new CMMG Mutant. An AR which has a unique lower to allow the use of AK double stack mags. I read a review about one of these and it was VERY positive. Accurate and reliable. MSRP is $1500. I think I will get one of these sometime next year. Looks like a nicely engineered product.
    Here is the CMMG Mutant review. Bad A!
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ar-15-7-62x39/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hks95134 View Post
    My carbine is a 5.56x45 Ruger mini. 100% reliable. 1 1/2 moa cold, 2 1/4 moa hot.

And you don't need a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to un-jam it like you do with an AR.

Just with one rack of the operating rod handle it clears immediately.

An AR does not have an operating rod handle. Stoner forgot to make one for it. His science project shoots fast on fully auto, but always invariably jams after several hours of shooting such as in a real combat fire fight.

Never bring a science project to a real fire fight. Although you can play with it at the rifle range ad nauseam if you like.
    You must have a very good mini because "typically" they are only good to about 3-5 moa at 100 yds with their pinner barrel. Don't see them at Camp Perry, but you are very correct in that they are reliable. I sold mine because it just wasn't that accurate. About minute of bad guy is all.

And....do some reading. The AR of today is much improved over Stoners original. The latest armed forces rifle competition for a new service model was cancelled because there was not enough significant improvement over the M4. The FN SCAR did win the competition prior to the competition cancellation. It is a op rod piston design like the mini.
    Last edited by quaildeath; 12-19-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks

The AR's still jam all over the place at our local gun range.

The main difference between the shooters whose AR's jam versus those whose do not immediately jam seems to be number of rounds fired and length of time shooting.

The ones that are fired a lot for a long time -- several hours -- jam.

And a jammed AR is a major production to un-jam. None of the AR shooters seem to know that they need a flathead screwdriver and a hammer with them to unjam them.

"Much improved" is one thing but flawed design cannot be overcome by much improving them. Not yet anyway.

You can read all you want. But until and unless you go to a shooting range and shoot your AR for several hours you will be clueless about them. Make sure you bring a flathead screwdriver and a hammer with you after you put your book down.

Thanks

The newer Ruger mini's are much more accurate than the original Ruger mini's -- correct.

Ruger redesigned the barrels and retooled their factories.

They have however always been at least as accurate as the AK's.

Now they are also comparably as accurate as the AR's.

The AR is an accurate carbine -- no doubt.

The AR is however very unreliable as well ... still.

There are plenty of 7.62x39's available other than a bastardized AR configuration.
    Last edited by hks95134; 12-20-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks

Since you see a bunch of ARs at the range that jam, you also are aware there are several garbage companies out there with garbage parts that are el cheapos, right? It's like buying a crappy Yugo SKS or AK, which you also see jam at the range.

Also, home building the cheapest AR you can with the cheapest parts kit will be unsatisfactory at best.