Thread: 5 year break in hunting and fishing

Thanks

Default 5 year break in hunting and fishing

im a avid hunter and fisherman, but with drought and poor habitat the wildlife isn't doing great. if we took a five year break every 15 years imagine the success rates etc. i would be willing to make a sacrifice to get my numbers up. maybe not on the animals that need to be controlled varmints etc. but in fresh water fish, big game, upland, and in the meantime just improve the habitats. but knowing california they would say "well no one seems upset with the no hunting rule why don't we ban it all together".

what do you think?
    poaching would go through the roof though
    Well all righty then

Thanks

Poaching would go through the roof, and no funding from tags/licenses for the 5 years would make a big hit on people that chase them. I guess we could all volunteer time we'd spend hunting or fishing though, and do habitat restoration and chase poachers. I'd say make it two years, that would give a lot more game animals enough time to mature to shooter status, and give fish a couple of good spawns to boost numbers.

Thanks

I doubt it would help much. Thats the problem with people is they think that hunters are the problem. We aren't. Predators, cars and disease are the problem. One mountain lion will eat atleast a deer a week. With 6000 mountain lions in California eating a deer a week that turns in to 312,000 deer a year! This isn't counting the deer killed by coyotes, bobacats or bear which the three of those totalled up would put the number close to 600,000. Now we need to figure in car kills. There is over a million deer/vehicle collisions in the US every year! I can't find any statistics saying what California is but with all the driver on the road I think around 100,000 is a safe estimate.

Now the fun part. In 2011 the eastimated deer take by Cdf&g was 32,954. I think it is safe to say that hunters are definitely not the problem. Think about how many predators get shot while hunting deer. I have shot numerous coyotes while deer hunting. Don't let the liberals in Sacramento even try to make you think hunting is the problem!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Well said Beastmode

Thanks

I agree with Beastmode. (amazing how hard it is to find numbers of deer killed by traffic!?)

It has been mentioned a few places that a year or two off for the deer would be helpful, but it would be extremely hard to get it back again I suspect.

As it is with the various Zone/Tag system I can only hope that it is based on sound science and is doing its job. It sure keeps me from subtracting from the deer numbers

Thanks

I think we need to stop all hunting until this drought ends.

The drought itself is going to take a huge toll on the wildlife as it is.

And then a couple of more years needed even once it starts raining finally again.

We should start hunting mountain lions and coyotes instead.
    Last edited by hks95134; 03-30-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks

Beastmode made a pretty good point there. And the drought's not terrible here in the North, my towns reservoir is at 95% right now. But now down the road at lake Oroville, which goes down south, it's looking bad.

Thanks

Until we can rid the state of biased F&G anti hunters and liberal overreach, we're doomed to more of the same. I agree with Beastmode on the issue. Problem is all the idiots that don't understand protecting cougars is creating a HUGE problem in our ecosystem. It's unbalanced due to cats having no natural predator other than man, and man can't hunt em. If they started a tag system for lions it would be better than nothing. But we all know they won't let us use dogs, so there goes that plan! The kill percentage on cats would still be insignificant.

Thanks

those are all good points. but i feel with the way this state is set up if we took it away for a year or so it would be hard to get it back
    Well all righty then

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbcaptain11 View Post
    those are all good points. but i feel with the way this state is set up if we took it away for a year or so it would be hard to get it back
    Then why did you start this thread?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Thanks

Five years from now will be three years after I stop huntin this state . Non-lead = not buying a license again ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My wife says if I go hunting one more time she's gonna leave me. Gosh , I'm gonna miss her .....

There are old hunters . There are bold hunters. There are no old,bold hunters.....

The worst day in the field is better than the best day at work.....

Thanks

I think taking a break would help but 5 years is too long. The whole idea of a break in general would never happen because of money and it's much too unrealistic. Poaching would be out of control as well...

Thanks

Well we lost one hunter in this mezcan is going to stop hunting because he can't shoot lead an others will likely follow but not enough to mention... The drought has effects on many things an many great points have been made here.. Can you imagine the crying and whining that would go on if anything even close to this happened..

The CA system like others has flaws but overall is a good system trying to balance everything that is out there to balance....

This thread will go on for weeks :)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 7mallards View Post
    Well we lost one hunter in this mezcan is going to stop hunting because he can't shoot lead an others will likely follow but not enough to mention... The drought has effects on many things an many great points have been made here.. Can you imagine the crying and whining that would go on if anything even close to this happened..

The CA system like others has flaws but overall is a good system trying to balance everything that is out there to balance....

This thread will go on for weeks :)
    Did not say I was going to stop hunting I'm just not going to hunt in California anymore. Going to take my hunting dollars to another state that appreciates them.

My wife says if I go hunting one more time she's gonna leave me. Gosh , I'm gonna miss her .....

There are old hunters . There are bold hunters. There are no old,bold hunters.....

Thanks

Well it is the same thing one less hunter in CA correct? What makes you think other states appreciate your dollars more the CA I am just asking why you think that is true?

Thanks

Default 5 year break in hunting and fishing

If you think the anti-gun anti-hunting Nazis are going to stop with just a lead ammo ban, you don't see the big picture. Tired of the rat race, 53-year-old native Californian, I've had my fill. I will shoot critters here until the last day I can shoot lead then I will move on. And from a Freestate I will watch as California bans copper ammo and all the hunters will say that's not fair. With no legal ammo to shoot in the Republic of California , enjoy yourself ,hopefully I will have a few years left to fill my freezers and live my life free from politicians telling me how I can pursue my pastimes . Keep stirring 1 mallard .

Last edited by mezcan; 09-07-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks

Me can

There will be issues wherever you go so don't fool yourself into thinking the grass is greener. Every place has good and bad issues associated with it. What happened to the other 6?

Thanks

Before it's over the limit will be one Mallard.

Thanks

Well I don't think it will be one mallard ever.. The limit on ducks should be 5 total anyways... Again if your banking on things being greener on the other side there will be lots of other issues you will like or not like along the way.. Unless your leaving the state of CA the trips will cost you lots more $$$ and time then you spend now..

I will miss you when your gone and please leave me a map of your X spots when you leave...

Thanks

I'll miss you too sweetheart.

Thanks

That's a little creepy but don't forget the map please before you go...

Thanks

Do your own scouting. Lol !

Thanks

Come on I am supposed to come onto a forum say I am new and get all types of info sitting behind a keyboard with no effort on my part Come on Man lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mezcan View Post
    Before it's over the limit will be one Mallard.

I'll support that

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mezcan View Post
    Do your own scouting. Lol !

Some guys need all the help they can get, any way they can get it. Throw a bone