Thread: Red Dot on Shotgun for Turkeys & Pigs

Thanks

Default Red Dot on Shotgun for Turkeys & Pigs

What kind of Red Dot sights are you using on your shotgun?

A Mossberg 20ga that I got came with an Aimpoint 5000, which I took off 1st thing when I got it home.
    I don't like it, seems like such a small tube to have to sight through; all of the disadvantages of a scope without the advantages.

Been out shooting, or learning to shoot clays, & am thinking about Spring Turkeys.
    Also my Mossberg cane with a Rifled Barrel which I think might be nice as back up for Pigs (it is not a cantilever Barrel though, sadly).

So anyway, the more open Style of Red Dots have caught my attention:
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightmar...dot-sight.html

The budget is about $100 (after that the household oversight committee has to convene with hearings, cost benefit analysts, environmental impact reports ....)

Thanks

I bought a Burris Speed bead for my Beretta AL390. It's my duck gun. Bad idea! It didn't do well in the blind and bad weather. For pig and turkey in fair weather it might be ok but....

Thanks

if you want something that will take the recoil and weather get an eoteck those things are awesome. If not that top one might work but remember that it needs a picatinny rail because it has a bolt going all the way through and is meant to be used as an alignment pin as well. So it might not work on your shotgun

Thanks

Thanks freezer,
    What happens does it fog up or is it the mist & drops all over the glass?

solus, appreciate it,
    The gun is already set up with a rail, that I took off with the Aimpoint, but I can screw it back for a Turkey.
    EOTek - it figures, that ole' "You get what you pay for" law. I only paid $350 for the used Shotgun with the 2 barrels, 4 chokes & Aimpoint, extra chores not included.

(after not shooting a shotgun in decades it must be that cheap gun's fault that I don't every clay

oh, gotta go, she's ringing that bell again-

Live2hunt is offline Forever Hunting Kiss The Ring
    Thanks

Why not get a shotgun scope to use with the slug barrel? A good shotgun scope comes with BDC reticle pre-calculated for slugs and you could be deadly on deer and pigs for up to 300 yards with some shooting practice. Just do all the bird hunting with the vent-rib smooth bore barrel just like a standard shotgun. Why the need for red-dot for hunting? Those red-dot sights are made for fast target acquisition like in a tactical shooting competition or for home defense. They are best to be use on a pistol or close range tactical rifles like ARs and AKs.

Thanks

lol well if you want to sell the aim point pm me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Live2hunt View Post
    Why not get a shotgun scope to use with the slug barrel? A good shotgun scope comes with BDC reticle pre-calculated for slugs and you could be deadly on deer and pigs for up to 300 yards with some shooting practice. Just do all the bird hunting with the vent-rib smooth bore barrel just like a standard shotgun. Why the need for red-dot for hunting? Those red-dot sights are made for fast target acquisition like in a tactical shooting competition or for home defense. They are best to be use on a pistol or close range tactical rifles like ARs and AKs.
    Yes Live2hunt, I thought about a scope, a lot;
    http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...loader-scopes/

The idea of a Red Dot 'Open style' (Reflex or whatever) has me wondering if those work for people out hunting. Seems not.
    Been shooting some skeet, and am just readjusting with keeping both eye open. Having that open aware view is nice.

I have a Vanguard in 30-06 with a Leupold 3x9 that I'm just getting used to out to 200 yards; 4 or 5 inch groups - OK so i got nothing on Annie Oakley.
    300 yards is just on the edge of my comfort zone with the Vanguard, so I don't expect ever to go near that far with a 20ga.
    There are factory iron sights on the Rifled barrel, soon I as get some sabots it'll be interesting to see what I can do with those.

Live2hunt is offline Forever Hunting Kiss The Ring
    Thanks

Those few minutes of low legal shooting light don't mix too well with iron sights and red dots. Best waterfowl hunting is during heavy wind and rain. Red don't mix too well with rain as well.

Thanks

Good to know, my late 50ish eyes also don't work in the wind & rain too well:)

Waterfowl isn't on my list, just yet. Turkey & pig are on my menu this year.