Thread: Savage 93r17 scope rings

Thanks

Default Savage 93r17 scope rings

Hey, so I had this old prostaff laying around and it really needed a rifle to go onto. So I picked up a 93r17bv! I'm super excited about it, the rifle feels very nice, especially for the price of these things.

Anyways, I put the nikon on it, with the old rings I had from some years back. I am definitely not a fan of the design of these rings and they absolutely could not hold a zero on my .30-06.... They're the kind that split in half vertically, so one screw that secures them to the bases also is supposed to grip the scope. I never thought they had they leverage to hold a scope in place on heavier recoiling rifles, not sure if that is true. I figured they'd be alright on a light recoiler like the .17hmr - well I mounted it and it seems the scope has the closest fit that I have ever seen. I cannot slide a bill through between the barrel and the objective. I can see light however... What do you guy think? Will there be any kind of flex? I know the rounds aren't powerful, but its awfully close.
    Dave
    IMAG0438.jpgIMAG0439.jpgIMAG0441.jpg
    Last edited by Daveyboy; 11-27-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks

I have a Savage 110p that I purchased at Mel Cotton in 1968, and the scope, rings, and mount are now welded together as one piece. Something happened to the screws that makes them impossible to remove.

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk

Thanks

Daveyboy, fine looking gun!

I say shoot the sucker and see how it works. Lower is better than higher on the scope, right? Without contact, I'd say you are fine.

Be sure to try the CCI TNT 17gr (and 20's). My 93RGV loves them, and will make one ragged hole out to 75 yards if I do my part.
    Last edited by inchr48; 11-28-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Think me not unkind and rude,

That I walk alone through grove and glen.

I go to seek the God of the wood,

And fetch His word to men.

Thanks

Thanks, man! I love the thing so far. I cannot believe the deal these things are. Hopefully I can drop by the range for a few hours tomorrow and give it a workout. I was in the same train of thought. I will try shooting it, and as you said - the lower the better if it doesn't have any negative effects.

I will have to test the run through of loads on the rifle. I thought I read it has a 1:9 twist rate? I assume it should handle the 20 grainers well, but will have to confirm. Do you notice much difference in flight path or terminal ballistics between the 17gr and 20 gr?

messing with the JBM calculator, it looks like a 150yd zero would be a good PBR zero for it. I am excited to see what this hummer is all about!

17gr 2550fps, .125BC, 59 deg, standard pressure

Range Vert drop
    (yds) (Inches)
    0 -1.5
    10 -0.9
    20 -0.3
    30 0.2
    40 0.6
    50 1.0
    60 1.3
    70 1.5
    80 1.7
    90 1.7
    100 1.7
    110 1.6
    120 1.4
    130 1.0
    140 0.6
    150 -0.0
    160 -0.7
    170 -1.6
    180 -2.6
    190 -3.7
    200 -5.1
    Last edited by Daveyboy; 11-28-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks

With all my rifles, I match my zero to my intended game, to make the most of my "Point Blank Range" (PBR).

In your example above, if your intended targets have a kill zone of around 3 1/2 inches, your PBR is out to 170 yards. Point of Impact being +/- 1.7" or less.

If your target has a smaller kill zone, you'll have to aim accordingly.

I think mine is zeroed around 75 yards now, since I'm using it for squirrels and rabbits mainly, and my shots are not over 100 yards very often.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Think me not unkind and rude,

That I walk alone through grove and glen.

I go to seek the God of the wood,

And fetch His word to men.

Thanks

So I hit the range yesterday. I love the rifle. It was a gusty full value wind that was 7-10mph, so I did notice a good bit of horizontal stringing at 100 yds. Maybe 2-3 inches, but vertically the groups were very good. I only had one box of hornady 17gr vmax, but the rifle seemed to do alright with them. The better groups were just over one inch, again that was with the wind.. A few of them were about .75 inch vertically but strung out 3 inches long horizontally. I attribute this to the varied winds - could have been me I suppose.

The scope seemed to be fine. I fired one shot while watching the small gap between the obj and the barrel and it did not seem to show any movement - looks like I am good to go.

I ordered a box each of cci 17gr TNT, 20 gr game pt, and federal 17gr TNTs to try out next. I know I can fall back on the hornady 17gr Vmax for easily obtainable and very acceptable shooting ammo, but I would like to still search for that sweet round.

I shot out to 175 yds and was amazed at this things flight path. It seemed very close to the table I posted above. When I get the ammo choice dialed in, I will do some group tests at varied ranges to plot out the exact drops and groups to be expected. I did notice that wind really taking an effect on the 175yd drifts, but I like the influences given on the round. It seems to scale down flight characteristics of bigger rounds for very affordable range time and training.

Now if I can just find a local ranch that I can get permission for small game on.... That's the real hunting now days, not finding the game, but the lands where you're permitted.

Thanks

Well, I tried some different rounds out yesterday.
    20gr gamepoints, CCI. They shot just about 1.5 inches at 100yds
    17 gr TNT, federal loads. Shot around 2.5 inches at 100yds.
    17 gr TNT, CCI loads. They did the best, coming in right at 1 inch.

As usual, my range is windy ~ 8-14mph with the average around 10mph. Those were the better groups. The rest of the groups opened up more, but it was evident that the wind was effecting them heavily as the groups were scattered horizontally a whole lot.

I also ordered 2-10rd mags from http://17hmrmag.com/ out of Sacramento, CA(my hometown). I give them two thumbs up and recommend them to any savage owner. They shipped them quickly and the mags worked perfectly. They provided flawless feed to the rifle. A great addition to the rifles setup, I was able to pop tack driving shot after tacking driving shot into every rock and dirt clod I wanted on the back stop.

I ended up getting 500 rds of the CCI 17gr TNT and left the zero as the table above shows. Track this thread and I will post kills I get with the rifle. I will be taking it out for some rabbit and squirrel later this month.