Thread: Helpful vandenberg AFB VAFB Info & Links

Thanks

Default Helpful vandenberg AFB VAFB Info & Links

Please post any info or helpful links you have for VAFB. Thank you.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

Advertise on JHO / Facebook - JHO / Home, Main Page / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
    Please post any info or helpful links you have for VAFB. Thank you.
    Thanks!!!

Thanks

New to hog hunting in general, and it seems to be that vandenberg AFB is the place to go if you want to have some success but ive never done any of this type of hunting... ive deer hunted but that was in kansas when you wait for your deer to come to you. just looking for some tips and pointers so that i dont get out there and wish i had something with me that i might need.

V/R Keller

Thanks

When you come out check with me at the Rod and Gun Club. I'm the only hunter that works there but field a lot of questions regarding the hunting opportunities on Vandenberg. My number out there is 805 606 4560 and my name is Alan.
    "The Sharps made the west safe for Winchesters."

Thanks

Iam wondering if there was a time when pig hunting started to slow down and also when would the "peak" of hog hunting is? im trying to plan a visit hopefully in the next month or so... also what zones of the base should i check out im hunting with a 30-06 so range isnt a problem nor is dragging a pig a long distance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zkeller15 View Post
    Iam wondering if there was a time when pig hunting started to slow down and also when would the "peak" of hog hunting is? im trying to plan a visit hopefully in the next month or so... also what zones of the base should i check out im hunting with a 30-06 so range isnt a problem nor is dragging a pig a long distance.
    The spring is probably the best time of year for hogs. They will be working the wild hay growing on the hillsides and can be spotted from a distance. There are also sows with piglets running around that are impossible to see in the tall grass, so be careful and take your time to really watch them. We usually deploy a spotting scope and glass them thoroughly to determine gender.

Remember that there are no off-road vehicles authorized on VAFB so any recovery must be on foot. A good game cart is nice to have for those long recoveries. We've had to pull hogs out of areas 3/4 mile from the road, and that's a LONG drag.

Your timing should be good, assuming the weather is good. If it's rainy the unpaved roads turn to snot in a heartbeat. No way can you get in where the hunting is. Wind can be a factor too, especially if you envision taking a long poke. Areas C1 and C3 are going to be your only choices for rifle. C5 would be good if the ground is dry. If it's not the base conservation office will close it until it does dry out.
    "The Sharps made the west safe for Winchesters."

Thanks

Everything is found here: http://vafbgunclub.com/hunting.html

Thanks

For those of you on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VAFBgunclub

New Rod and Gun Club website (hunting page): http://www.vafbgunclub.com/vandenberg-afb-hunting.html
    Rod and Gun Club Pig hunting info website: http://www.vafbgunclub.com/vandenber...g-hunting.html

Last year the VAFB Conservation Office had a Facebook Page, but it has not been updated in a while: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vande...96600633724703