Thread: My First Off Duty Weapon

Thanks

Default My First Off Duty Weapon

I have been a peace officer for over 2 years now and I have finally ordered me an off duty pistol to carry on my person. I went with the Glock 17. I know its the standard size, but the Glock 19 had only a 1/2 shorter barrel. I plan on shooting it alot. If later on down the road I think I need one smaller in size I may go with the Glock 19.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

I have a 19 for off duty carry along with the 27 for a back up pocket gun! I carry the 35 on duty! You might wanna pick up something small for discrete carry, the 17 may be alittle big and draw too much attention. Good luck!

Thanks

Great weapon. A little big for concealed carry depending on what type of concealed carry system you use.

I carry the Kimber Ultra carry .45. I bought it with night sights and laser grips and am very happy with its conceal ability. It is limited to seven rounds though.

I have some deep concealment systems that allow me to wear shorts, t shirt and sandals and nobody has ever noticed. I have had family members that know I carry ask if I was armed or not.
    My dogs hunt I just give them a ride.

http://www.camospace.com/Fishnhuntforever

Thanks

Hey whats up dude!! I like the Glock 27 use it when hunting too..

Thanks

I went down to gun shop today and played with the 17 and 19 today. I really like how 17 fits my hand. I really couldn't tell much of a difference when I tried different ways of concealing. The 17 is only less than a 1/2" shorter.

Thanks

Here are a couple of links to a great summertime concealment option:

Thunderwear: Holsters Gun Holsters

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters

I own the thunderwear holster system. I have the federal model and it holds my full size Smith and Wesson sigma series just fine. Of course it is not as comfortable as my Kimber because of the size.

Here is another deep concealment system that holds large frame and small frame comfortably and undetectable.

Concealed Carry | 5.11 Tactical

Either of these will hold any size weapon you choose to carry and remain undetectable to the untrained eye.

I use the Bianchi Carrylok In the winter when I can wear a jacket. Bianchi has a great matching triple threat magazine pouch.

If you like the way it fits in your hand and you are happy with it then you will be more likely to carry it. All of the above systems can conceal your weapon when used correctly.

Hopefully this info helps. Glock's are a good choice.

Thanks

Glad you guys are "packin" and thanks for bein cops. Im a fireman (but did 7 years in law enforcement) so i understand your sacrafice.
    Also "concealed carry" is a matter of practice. I can (and do) hide my glock 21 with a pair of board shorts and baggy t-shirt. so practice CC around your house and you would be surprised. Also it will give you a strong respect for people you have contact with "on the job" as you will quickly see how easy it is to hide a handgun in the most indiscrete clothing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SPURGEAR View Post
    Glad you guys are "packin" and thanks for bein cops. Im a fireman (but did 7 years in law enforcement) so i understand your sacrafice.
    Also "concealed carry" is a matter of practice. I can (and do) hide my glock 21 with a pair of board shorts and baggy t-shirt. so practice CC around your house and you would be surprised. Also it will give you a strong respect for people you have contact with "on the job" as you will quickly see how easy it is to hide a handgun in the most indiscrete clothing.

Couldnt have said it better myself! I could tell you some stories about gun locations on suspects that would blow your mind! As far as im concerned, everyone is packing until ive searched them myself! Thank god for Terry v. Ohio! lol!

D3-5, Grizzly Island and various other outdoor locations
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dglover View Post
    Here are a couple of links to a great summertime concealment option:

Thunderwear: Holsters Gun Holsters
    Had a friend that used to wear these. We used to make fun of him...I used to tell him when the deal is going down, he is going to look awfully funny when he tries to get his gun out and his pants are around his ankles.

I have never worried much about how many rounds an off duty, concealed gun can carry. It is always there for the extreme last resort. I have always felt concealabilty and ease of concealability is the important key. I like any .45, 9mm or .380 that is accurate and can fit in my pocket. Walther PPK has always been my favorite for concealement and reliability.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Thanks

When I "do" carry Offduty, I usually throw on my Glock 27. The small frame glock packs a big punch in a little pistol and it's easy to conceal. I also have a Ruger LCP .380 that I can throw in my back pocket.
    ~Hunting the West and beyond~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by db 183 View Post
    Had a friend that used to wear these. We used to make fun of him...I used to tell him when the deal is going down, he is going to look awfully funny when he tries to get his gun out and his pants are around his ankles.

I have never worried much about how many rounds an off duty, concealed gun can carry. It is always there for the extreme last resort. I have always felt concealabilty and ease of concealability is the important key. I like any .45, 9mm or .380 that is accurate and can fit in my pocket. Walther PPK has always been my favorite for concealement and reliability.
    Obviously you do not understand how the system works and your friend probably just laughed at your simple mindedness quietly inside.

Seriously though you do not need to take your pants down to utilize the systems. It is just as fast to draw as any other system. You simply pull the front of your chosen garment forward while drawing the weapon. Not much different then belly bands or other systems used by officers that are deep under cover. However if you wear your trousers like Erckle then I guess I can see the confusion.

However it does come with a little disclosure that says no knuckle draggers allowed.
    Last edited by dglover; 03-03-2010 at 04:18 PM.

CA, TX, WY, MT, CO, UT, AZ, NM, AL, LA, TN, AR, and
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prohunter View Post
    I have been a peace officer for over 2 years now and I have finally ordered me an off duty pistol to carry on my person. I went with the Glock 17. I know its the standard size, but the Glock 19 had only a 1/2 shorter barrel. I plan on shooting it alot. If later on down the road I think I need one smaller in size I may go with the Glock 19.
    Dam, i need a post it note, "Do not screw with anyone not in a LE uniform in Santa Rosa."Peace officers share the same risks everyday, if not more often than military. God speed to all our Le and service men.
    "Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken to us as soldiers who call Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemies, and establish Thy justice among men and nations. Amen."

Thanks

I now have the Glock 17 and 19! Yippee

Thanks

Obviously you do not understand how the system works and your friend probably just laughed at your simple mindedness quietly inside.

Seriously though you do not need to take your pants down to utilize the systems. It is just as fast to draw as any other system. You simply pull the front of your chosen garment forward while drawing the weapon. Not much different then belly bands or other systems used by officers that are deep under cover. However if you wear your trousers like Erckle then I guess I can see the confusion.

However it does come with a little disclosure that says no knuckle draggers allowed.
    I understand perfectly how it works.

Two things that make this product funny.

1 - Its name, Thunderwear...I mean seriously...that name begs to be made fun of...Say that to your friends while they are waiting to go out one night, "hold on guys, I have to get my Thunderwear on" If you can not laugh at that, you have no sense of humor.

2 - My friend, was a big old burly dude who lifted lots of weight, had muscles coming out of his ears and he wore his pants tight like he was still in the 80's so for him, the only way that gun was coming out was if he un-buttoned his fly. Again, that right there is funny.

Thanks

Wink

I have some deep concealment systems that allow me to wear shorts,
    now "this" is funny!!!

I would just request you use bacterial soap before you "take me down," or I'll scratch your eyes out!
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

Is that Booty weapon or Duty weapon?
    Think me not unkind and rude,

That I walk alone through grove and glen.

I go to seek the God of the wood,

And fetch His word to men.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by db 183 View Post
    I understand perfectly how it works.

Two things that make this product funny.

1 - Its name, Thunderwear...I mean seriously...that name begs to be made fun of...Say that to your friends while they are waiting to go out one night, "hold on guys, I have to get my Thunderwear on" If you can not laugh at that, you have no sense of humor.

2 - My friend, was a big old burly dude who lifted lots of weight, had muscles coming out of his ears and he wore his pants tight like he was still in the 80's so for him, the only way that gun was coming out was if he un-buttoned his fly. Again, that right there is funny.
    1- True. The name alone is funny and begs to be made fun of.

2- Sorry I have to call B.S. here. There is no possible way to wear the system with pants that tight. Even if your friend tried to put his pants on like a fat chick trying to squeeze into skinny jeans it just ain't happening.

Thanks

1- True. The name alone is funny and begs to be made fun of.

2- Sorry I have to call B.S. here. There is no possible way to wear the system with pants that tight. Even if your friend tried to put his pants on like a fat chick trying to squeeze into skinny jeans it just ain't happening.
    Man...dude...seriously...use your sense of humor here.

Picture a muscle head in the 1990's.

Picture him wearing Lee jeans from the 1980's.

The jeans are so tight, he can't carry a wallet.

Now picture the same guy telling us we can't leave for our night out in the city because he has to adjust his "gun" and it is in his "Thunderwear".

I have no idea where he kept his badge. I was afraid to ask.

All I know, is 1980's look, James Bond Gun, No Idea where the badge was stashed and a product named Thunderwear.

It all begs to be teased. So we made sure we gave him grief everytime we could. Pure Comedy thanks to your friends and mine at Thunderwear.

Thanks

Spurgear-Good post! I am a 43 yr 2X retired LEO-AF SP/AL ABC Agt and a big man. about 300 # now. Benn that way since the 70s after SEA-Agt Orange. I have 45s from Detonics 3" thru SA 11911A1s and G21s. Add G22s and Para Wart Hog. I carried them all at times working UC as a USAF SP Invesigator and later as an AL ABC AGT working drugs and Moonshine cases. Being big, you would be surprised how easy you can conceal a large pistol with a good belt and a loose shirt/jacket. For 4 yrs in Thailand where we couldn't carry, I started out downtown with a M36 2" S&W a Thai cop bought for me and used a Bianchi Shoulder holster. That didn't work well with hookers hugging on me so I got a 1911A1 and carried it under my belt buckle in front covered my my uniform shirt. On day in May, 1975 when Popasan and his son turned right off the highway into the tapioca field instead to going to the Thai Police Station where I asked to go(Now really how stupid can you get in that situation?) The kid got out of the truck taxi-Baht Bus and pulled knife on me telling to give him my Sieko watch and wallet and gold chain. They got a 1911A1 in their face, a severe ass-whipping at the Police Station and 10 yrs in Thai prison for armed robbery! I never go unarmed, 45 ACP or 9mm +P+ are my favored calibers in a Browning HP(9mm), 1911A1,Glock 21, ParaWartHog or Detonics Combat Master MkVI 3"(my UC gun. Federal HST 45/Fed 45+p 230 Tactical and Ranger RA45TP especially are my carry ammo. The Winchester Ranger RA9TA is the 9mm best option.