Thread: Remington 788 .222

Thanks

Default Remington 788 .222

I just bought a Remington 788 .222; its an oldie, but a goodie. I was talking to my grandfather about it after I bought it and he said he has had several Remington 788's for years in different calibers and swears by their accuracy and reliability. It's my first rifle and I wanted something cheap, but decent for a varmint/predator rifle. I paid $300 for it.
    Anyone else own a Remington 788? If so, what do you think about it? What do you like the most? What do you not like? I'm just asking to see, I already made up my mind so we'll see how it works out for me.

Thanks

Generally, the 788's are good guns. The .222 is a great round, originally developed for BR shooting/competition.

The only thing you may want to check is the trigger. Remington recalled all of them at some point a few years back. Might want to give Remingtona call and give them the serial number so they can tell you if it has been retro fitted with a newer (safer) trigger. The older ones were prone to go off when the rifle was taken off of "safe".
    MarinePMI
    "Despite our ever-changing, ever-indignant world with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality and synthetic success while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood. I stalk a real world of dark wood and tall grass stirred by a restless wind blowing across sunlit water and beneath star-strewn sky. And on those occasions when I choose to kill,....I do so by choice, quickly, and with the learned efficiency of a skilled hunter." -- M. R. James

Thanks

I have one in .243. It is a good rifle, especially when you consider it was Remington's "budget" gun back in the day. Mine shoots well and the only problem I have had with it was the bolt stop (don't know what it is really called) the prevents the bolt from pulling out of the back of the gun broke. a few bucks at my local gunsmith and it is good as new. They are tough guns with a strong action, espcially in the smaller calibers. Perfect gun for smaller shooters.

rumor has it that it was more accurate than the 700 so Remington discontinued it. I don't beleive it, but that should tell you what an excellent shooting rifle it is.

My stock was in horrible shape so I stripped it, steamed the dents out of it and used boiled linseed oil to treat it. It looks like a million dollars now.

Thanks

I've been dragging around a 788 in .243 since 1973. I've also picked up a .223, my son has a .22-250 and I used to have a .44 Mag all in the 788.
    I shoot the .243 on coyotes and groundhogs out to 400 yards plus. The farthest was a coyote at 445 yards. I've refinished the stock with a dark stain and a linseed oil finish and browned the metal to take off the glare and give it a unique look. I topped it with a 6X18 Redfield.
    One of the reasons it fits my needs so well, is that in Ohio everytime you come to the road or to transport, it needs to be empty. With a clip fed magazine it's easy to remove the clip and empty the chamber, rather than have to either drop the floor plate or work the cartridges out of the magazine. It's faster to load as well.
    With the right loads and right care, this will prove to be a great investment on your part. Good shooting!
    We aim to please. You aim too,please.

No one is worthless. They can always be used as a bad example.

People who think they know it all, annoy the heck out of those of us that do.

Thanks

As I remember, the chief reason for the 788's accuracy is the unusually fast "lock time" or the milliseconds it takes from the time the sear disengages to the time the firing pin actually impacts the primer. The magazine write-ups/reviews/comments of the long ago days when the 788 was in production was that it had one of the fastest lock times of all the production rifles back then. It didn't hurt either that it was chambered for the short cartridges i.e. .222, .243, .308, etc. Short cartridge cases being "supposedly" conducive to inherent accuracy...........take it for what it may. Bench rest shooters who win by a few thousandths of an inch in difference, gravitate towards the short cartridges. All I know is from what I read in the gun magazines.......for my own use, I just go for plain hunting accuracy. If I can consistently hit a pie plate with hunting ammo at 200 yards.....I am good to go for some wild boar or deer. I do have a big game hunting rifle that can shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds. with hunting ammo............but that is at the range, relaxed and with a solid cement shooting bench and with no stress or pressure to get off the shot before the target animal disappears behind a bush or crests the hill. So there it is....the 788 has good accuracy reputation.....unless you get one that was the last rifle on the pipeline on a Friday at almost quitting time as everbody hurries for the weekend.
    'Nuff said
    larrysogla

Thanks

I have a 22-250 I like it..

Thanks

Mine is .223 and I love shooting it. For predator hunting and to alleviate an afternoon with nothing to do I camouflaged the whole rifle with spray paint. When I had the rifle on the table at a couple gun shows where my club had a table I had offers all day long from folks who wanted to buy it.
    With handloads I get excellent accuracy from my 788. I tend to keep the load a little cool as I've had a couple primers blow out when I try to get the last bit of fps out of the load.
    I like the conveneince of the detachable magazine. But be warned, it's easy to get the rifle and the magazine in different places. I just recently found the magazine to my rifle after it being missing for longer than I want to admit.

Guy
    "Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!" - Adrian Eliot Hodgkin

Thanks

I have one in .308 and make my own loads with hornandy sst in 150 grains and I break clay pigeons at 200 yards consistantly,(no not flying) I set them up on big rocks!

Thanks

I have one in 223. Very accurate.

bobbyrum is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

I had one in .223 & another in .22-250; both absolute tack drivers. Best day with .22-250 was 3 foxes, one at close to 400 yards. Excellent shooters.

Thanks

Bought one in 223 many years ago and was surprised at how accurate it was. Both my sons killed their first blacktail bucks with it with handloads of the old 70 grain Speer roundnose bullet.

Thanks

The Remington 788 was Remington's economy rifle back in the long ago days when it was in production.................however, it turned out to be a very well designed, well engineered, accurate rifle. Wish I had bought one in .223 back then when it was brand new in the box for only.....................$129. Sigh!!!!!
    'Nuff said
    larrysogla

Thanks

My son had a 788 in 243 given to him about a year ago. He hasn't even shot it yet. He won't untill some one carries it to the car for him, takes him to the range, loads it, and puts it to his shoulder so he can pull the trigger. The only thing on his mind is THE LAPTOP!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoHunter85 View Post
    I just bought a Remington 788 .222; its an oldie, but a goodie. I was talking to my grandfather about it after I bought it and he said he has had several Remington 788's for years in different calibers and swears by their accuracy and reliability. It's my first rifle and I wanted something cheap, but decent for a varmint/predator rifle. I paid $300 for it.
    Anyone else own a Remington 788? If so, what do you think about it? What do you like the most? What do you not like? I'm just asking to see, I already made up my mind so we'll see how it works out for me.
    I met a Remington Rep at the Whittington Center who was given a 788 in .222 he said it was deadly accurate and he'd never sell it,I had one in 243 that would print clover leafs at 100 yards.I gave it to my 18 yr old son who promptly sold it for drug money along with a belgium made Browning semi auto in 06 and a Rem 870 TB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoHunter85 View Post
    that was a bargain I've seen 788's sell for 3 times that amount.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsandls View Post
    I have one in .243. It is a good rifle, especially when you consider it was Remington's "budget" gun back in the day. Mine shoots well and the only problem I have had with it was the bolt stop (don't know what it is really called) the prevents the bolt from pulling out of the back of the gun broke. a few bucks at my local gunsmith and it is good as new. They are tough guns with a strong action, espcially in the smaller calibers. Perfect gun for smaller shooters.

rumor has it that it was more accurate than the 700 so Remington discontinued it. I don't beleive it, but that should tell you what an excellent shooting rifle it is.

My stock was in horrible shape so I stripped it, steamed the dents out of it and used boiled linseed oil to treat it. It looks like a million dollars now.
    It was supposed to be a throw away gun but proved to be just the opposite it was cutting into their other rifle sales, they were losing money so they dropped it according the a remington rep.This rifle is sought out by benchrest shooters.

Thanks

scr83jp,
    You are exactly right.....the unusually fast lock time(the time between the sear release and the impact of the firing pin on the primer of the bullet) is what gun writers of long ago were crediting for the accuracy of the 788. On another subjet, I remember your posts some years back that said you are a long time resident of Yucaipa and that you remember the days when you can hunt deer in the hills above Yucaipa.....with the rainy weather and hogs in San Timoteo Canyon.......you might start to see hogs in the hills above Yucaipa.............The question is...is it still legal to hunt in those hills above Yucaipa??? Thanks and sorry for hijacking this thread, just couldn't resist asking.
    'Nuff said
    larrysogla

DeeRedRaider is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

I've owned a 788 in .222 for many years. It's topped with a very old Weaver 2.5 - 7 scope. But fellas, don't gamble against the ol' rig. I haven't shot it on a bench in years but routinely shoot corn thiefs (squirrels) from my deer blind as they peak around a tree trunk 100 yards away. Very accurate.
    Go Tech! (TEXAS Tech that is!)

Live2hunt is offline Forever Hunting Kiss The Ring
    Thanks

I have one of those 788 in .308. It is no doubt a very accurate rifle. I really like it, but somehow the bolt handle broke on me while trying to eject an empty military round shell that needed a little more force to get it out. I had local gunsmith try to weld it back but it broke again after three shots. I found a place called, "Wisner" in Seattle, WA that specialized in fixing and building new parts for 788. I sent the broken bolt assembly to him and he welded together with something that he claimed was supposed to be 10,000 times stronger than the original Remington weld. That fix only lasted two deer seasons and I saw cracks on the bolt handle again. I decided to retired the gun and just keep it in the safe for souvenir.

I later found out that many other people also have the same problem with the bolt handle so I know I'm not alone. That is one weak part on the 788.

Thanks

I have a 788 in .308 that my father got brand new as a xmas present. He used it to harvest at least 20 deer in the time he had it. I plan on using it with TTSX rounds on boar. But the thing I really love about it is that at 100 yards I can keyhole previous shots all day long. The only thing I done to it is mount a harris bipod (my father put a huge 10-40x scope on it.), and I am thinking of having some firesights mounted to it for close range shots.

-ouch1