Thread: Rossi three caliber youth set

Thanks

Default Rossi three caliber youth set

Just picked up a new three barrel set for youth by Rossi/ Braztech. Here is my review so far. I haven't shot it yet, but my initial reaction is "What youth could hold this thing? The stock is a little shorter than standard, and the barrels are short, but the damn thing weighs a ton. It is a 22lr, 44mag, and 20g shotgun combo. Switching barrels is idiot proof and takes only seconds. Mechanically it seems fine but came caked in grease and manufacturing debris. I paid $383 out the door including DROS fees. My initial intent was to give it to my nephew who is going on 12. But because my sister doesn''t want a gun in the house, and my kid will be 5 next month I decided to keep it myself. When I take nephew, or any other kid hunting or shooting it wil come in real handy. However, I was expecting something more along the lines of a cricket as far as weight. I haven't put it on a scale but the frame is solid steel and the breech is a huge chunk of steel. It's way heavier than my marlin 22 autoloader. I have never shot a 20g before so I don't know how much recoil there is but maybe the weight will help out a bunch there. The 22 barrel has open sights and is tapped for a scope base. It comes with fiber optic sights and I am going to leave it that way to teach the kids how to shoot irons. The 44mag comes with a weaver scope base and I fitted a Bushnell 3-9 x 40 on it. Here's where I am getting excited. This gun actually shoulders real nice for me even though I am 6'1". It is single shot but feels like a great little carbine. It would make an excellent little pig gun, or brush gun. Without shooting it yet I can't make a great jusgement on it yet, but I think if I did it again I would probably look at other options. I like it because it will actually work for me, but as for a child's gun it is a little too heavy.
    I'm just a dummy with a keyboard.

Thanks

Any pics?

Thanks

Had to spend about an hour cleaning the parts, not counting bores. After paying for it I have read other reviews and heard they don't group real well. Quality doesn't seem great but you get what you pay for. I think my four year old won't grow into it for a few years, but for a smaller teen or a bigger preteen it would be OK, especially if shot off of sticks or a bi-pod. It comes with a carrying bag of cheap nylon, a hammer side extension and a manual safety that blocks the hammer. It has extractors not ejectors which I would change if I could. I have no real need for using the 22 or the 20g but the 44 will definitely get some use. I have a couple boxes of Hornady Leverevolution to feed it once broken in. I figure it should be pretty good out to 125+. In hindsight, I wish I had handled one instead of ordering blind. But if it even shoots OK I will feel like I got a decent value. Just wish it didn't weigh so much. You can see the breach, and all though it is definitely built strong, I think they left a little too much on there. But this guy will fit real nice behind the seat of my pickup. One last thing, the scope base didn't allow for mounting as far back as I would have liked, I have to move forward about an inch and a half from where I rest my cheek naturally to get optimum relief.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fugaloo; 01-19-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks

I bought my son one of these for Christmas a few years ago, when he was nine. His has the .243 barrel instead of the .44.

We've put a scope on the .243 barrel, but I won't be having him use it to hunt with this year. I want him to be able to put another shot into a deer or bear if he needs to, but this gun is fine for teaching him about bigger recoils. In fact, due to its light weight, it's going to teach him more about recoil than my Remington, which is what he'll actually hunt with.

He uses the .22 barrel a lot at 4H shooting. Since they only shoot at 25 yards, it's fine. It's done a lot to teach him basic marksmanship and gun safety, and having a gun of his own has been a big deal for him.

He's also been shooting the 20 gauge at trap at 4H. It's too light and too short-barreled to be much good, but he adores shooting his own gun and won't even hear of using one of the bigger club guns, which are less pounding but he doesn't know that yet. I've bribed him; if he gets 25 straight, I'll get him his own 20 or 12 gauge. He may have to do that on a club gun. This one is so short that I can't effectively shoot it, and his arms are almost as long as mine now, at almost 12.

One problem we ran into was the weight in the stock coming loose. It's a hollow plastic stock with a lead weight held in with the same screws that hold the sling on. The screw had pushed the weight off of itself. My husband fixed it, but it rattled for a while.

But this gun has been outstanding for what it is. It didn't cost a ton, and besides the weight issue, it's held up to everything we've thrown at it. Having his own has taught him a lot of responsibility and brought the joy of shooting closer to him. Since we have two younger girls, it'll get passed down when he grows out of it, which won't be too long. I rate it a thumbs-up in general.

Thanks

If you are still having a rattle issue, I took mine apart and figured out a fix. Just fill the butt with expanding foam and screw the cap back on. That should hold the weight in place without rattling.

Thanks

I've been suggesting these combo's for some time for starting guns.

Why spend big bucks to find out the youth, or relative, friend, is not interested in expanding their shooting or hunting interests?

My nephew got a $139 22/12 ga. combo a couple winters ago. He learned proper weapon handling, shooting form (22's are cheap and great to teach the basics).

I started him on clay birds with my single .410. Then on to 20 and 12 ga. He knows the 12 Rossi will kick hard with Turkey loads but figures, 'so what'.

My wife on the other hand ........

Hat's off to Jules for a great review.
    Think me not unkind and rude,

That I walk alone through grove and glen.

I go to seek the God of the wood,

And fetch His word to men.

Thanks

Well, the 44 mag barrel is a dandy. With leverevolution rounds from Hornady I was printing 3 inch groups at 100 yards without trying very hard. I am sure it can do better with a little more tuning. The scope isn't quite dialed in right yet and I was shooting off a bench with no rest. The 22lr barrel however is a turd. Took my son out to the Cisrcle S ranch in Tomales and he wasn't able to get on the paper with the 22. It has open sights and I figured maybe he wasn't ligning up right. Then I gave it a try and it took about fifteen rounds to figure out it was shooting high and left about 15 inches both directions. I slowly adjusted the sights and got it about 6" left but still a good 12 inches high at 50 yards. Then the sights wouldn't adjust any further. I wanted to keep it open sights but I think I will have to put a scope on it now and see if I can get it shooting on target. He is five and it was a little bit too long for him but he should grow into it in a bout a year or so. We switched to my scoped 22 marlin autoloader and he was shooting he was shooting one handed (because of the size) and was peppering the Shoot-n-c targets. Never seen the kid so excited before. He definitely caught the shooting bug and has been asking to go again constantly. We shoot pellets in the back yard, and I cut down the stock on a crossman 760 to fit his arms. The barrels not rifled though and so there are a lot of flyers. Shooting the real gun he had the time of his life. I still haven't even bought shells for the 20g barrel though, and one day we'll see if he can handle it. But with Spring turkeys coming up I will have to get my 12 year old nephew comfortable shooting the shotgun. It's a short barrel and imp. choke but I think he will enjoy having a gun that fits him instead of trying to shoot my model 31 Remington that weighs a ton and has a long stock.