Thread: Frazier Park?

Thanks

Default Frazier Park?

Im prepared for all the grief i might recieve for this lol.....i have a friend that lives in Frazier Park but hes overseas right now...i hunted up there last year and found one nice bobcat and a BIG lion haha im not looking to poach anyone and i know the place is famous for road hunters but id really like some help on where you guys think i could fill my bear tag there this year....i have 4x4 and am more then willing to hike. im a very respectful hunter just looking to fill my tag guys.i work on the ocean and make my living from it so i believe in "leave no trace".if my friend was here hed help me but unfortunately hes overseas...im not too interested in taking a deer id really like a bear...so any information you guys could spare or any help youre willing to throw my way is GREATLY appreciated..ill be up for the opener for the 10th and 11th.and many more days after that..thanks guys
    aaron

Thanks

I have hunted Frazier Park for the past 20 years. I don't live in CA anylonger, but I do miss that country. Also, I miss "Mikes Pizza" up in Frazier. They have some awesome pie. Send me a PM and I will point you in the right direction if interetsed....

HH714
    ~Hunting the West and beyond~

Thanks

Get yourself a map of the Los Padres National Forest. There are bears up there. I would try to avoid hunting opening day of deer season up there, it's a zoo. Towards the end of the deer season there should be less hunters and you'll have a better time finding bears without the crowds. Good luck and take pictures.
    "Dont let anyone tell you what is or isnít a trophy. Hunt for yourself and no one else." -Fred Eichler

Thanks

aaron,

i've been hunting frazier park the past 10yrs and honestly have seen bears at just about every place on the map. if you want to walk-in then hunt the Piru drainage above Pyramid...i've seen some bruisers in there.
    I had one 20yds from me while scouting for deer 2 weekends ago at Salt Creek about 300yds from the camp. last week we had one cross the road in front of us going up to Pinos about half way up. i've seen bear on Frazier Mtn, Alamo, Pinos, Tecuya, Mutau and more. Frazier, the Piru drainage, and the north slope of Tecuya seem to have the highest concentration. Like others have said, avoid the access roads on opener, you will see nothing but cars, camo, orange and hear bullets zipping through the canyons.

Thanks

Default a big thank you

a big thank you to the people that offered me info..it is a BIG help...i cant say enough about the people here on JHO....id heard from friends it was a great site andnow i see why..luv2heargobbles that information is PRICELESS...i have sent a pm to hoghunter and luv2heargobbles.they are not showing in my sentbox so please check your pms if you havent recieved one PPLLEAASSEE PM me cuz im not sure if mine is working.again THANK YOU

Thanks

Default luv2heargobbles

ive done some searching for piru drainage and salt creek and have com up empty..that is priceless information and i really appreciate it...could you please explain piru drainage, and salt creek a lil better to me? im not familiar with those areas...im more then willing to hike.how far a hike in are we talking? and where is my starting point? rought terrain?(1-10) ill be driving up late friday night to get in my "stand" early sat morning and will be camping sat night and hunting sunday all day and heading home..
    thank you

Thanks

find lake pyramid next to highway 5. piru creek drains into it and you have about 6miles of great area that gets little to no pressure. starting point is the locked gate passed los alamos campground. take a mountain bike and its super quick. walking takes me about 90min to reach the bottom. u will be amazed the amount of sign u see in there. most folks (which is very few) go south. lots of acorns and food the past few years. i have a spot the other direction but that is all i will say ;-)

salt creek is between pleito and cherry creek on the north of tecuya ridge. its no secret, there will be 100s of guys on those ridges and the back side facing highway 166.

i dont use the PMs as i rarely post here but i like helping out local hunters...

good luck

Thanks

Has anyone else thought about using a boat from Pyramid lake to access Piru Creek before it spills into the lake? The last time I ever saw a Black Bear was in the late 80s, on a Bass boat. The bear was above the lake near the creek, and she had two nice cubs.
    One Big A$% Mistake America

"The Mountains are the means, the man is the end; the idea is to improve the man, not to reach the top of the mountain."

Thanks

fearnofish. i have hunted it once. probably with the same overseas friend! this particular friend practically pleaded with me to buy a bear tag...no, i didnt. i had lukewarm interest in a bear. well, hiking along, i hear branches break, and this black bear, we kept seeing over and over walk across my path at 40 yards. duh! JV gave me hell!

lots of roadhunters! but plenty of area in between the roads.

Thanks

I've even seen bear tracks along the shore of Lake Piru.
    "Dont let anyone tell you what is or isnít a trophy. Hunt for yourself and no one else." -Fred Eichler

Thanks

did the hike to piru creek last year , their was five trucks alredy parked their, a lot of human traffic.well earned game if you get something.

Thanks

Default sancho

ahaha wow man i think we know the same guy hahaha JV on greeanleaf springs rd? him and his two horses? hahaha small world..hes my "guide" but yea hes stuck overseas and wont be back for awhile . kind of a bummer since he has frazier completely wired.. well hoghunter and luv2heargobbles have been VERY helpful and im glad to know that there is still a good group of hunters willing to teach and share info with an inexperienced guy.JHO rules. Sancho maybe we can hookup and hunt that area this year..im planning on a lot of time up there and my hunting partner cant make it all the time..pm me

Thanks

Last edited by Jblan010; 07-24-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks

Fear no fish, send me a PM with your contact info, and I'll meet with you to discuss taking you into that watershed area.

Thanks

luv2hunt55 x2

This week I scouted twice, once for 6.5 hours and once for 7.5 hours - I'm exhausted.