Thread: Where to Go to Surf Fish?

Locnload is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Hi. I would like to give surf fishing a try with my son, but don't really have a clue on where to go. Any suggestions? I live in the Riverside area. Thanks in advance.

BLASTMASTER is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake
    Thanks

I've only gone once, for a week. But in that week we learned a lot. We went to Emma Wood SB in Ventura, but I'm sure you can fish most of the beaches. You might want to check out pierfishing.com for some ideas. Those guys do a lot of surf fishing as well.

In the surf the boys and I had a blast wading in to our waists, and casting out little trout poles right behind the breakers. We caught surf perch one after the other. We used 6lb line, carolina rigged with 1/4oz slider. The best baits we found were caught right there on the beach, live sandcrabs or the orange part of a muscle (when torn from the shell, resembles a small worm). They have a fast hit and run technique, so keep the slack out of the line and feel for the tug as the bait rolls around the sandy bottom under the waves.

good luck!
    Hunting 24/7 (people by weekday, animals all weekend)

Thanks

Locnload,Gaviota to Refugio.Bloody sand worms(artificial)or sand crabs.Light tackle, slabs to 13 inches.Take the boy now,wish I was there,good luck,fish tacos if ya like........Upper

Locnload is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions, they were appreciated. If I ever have any pictures to post, lol, I will post them here. Thanks.

Thanks

San Diego has some nice surf fishing spots...Torrey Pines and a little north in the Del Mar and Carlsbad area. Gulp worms, kastmasters, and sand crabs will produce perch and croakers....good luck.

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    We went to Emma Wood SB i[/b]
    Caught some there myself. Surf was really mellow and used a flyrod and streamers.

A one inch curly tailed grub on a hook works well on perch. Run a foot or so of leader to a 3 way swivel. then run a 2 foot leader of the other eye of the swivel and attach to a half ounce or larger silver dollar sinker. You need to run 8 or 10 lb. The guys who fish Monterey Bay beaches use that rig. Occasionally they have a striper suck up the grub.
    Judge Gideon J. Tucker, wrote in a 1866 ruling that "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Thanks

At the river jettys in upper west newport. I surf fish alot and this is a good spot.
    "There is something about those bleating chickens that makes a man want to grab his shotgun." - Edward Abbey

Thanks

Is that Upper Newport Bay? I looked on the map and it shows a river near University. Thanks.

Thanks

dw33,
    try the area near the rocks on the sand, throw some anchovies, usually the sculpin hit pretty quick.
    Good luck,

Thanks

Default Huntington Beach

Try the area where the Santa Ana River empties into the ocean near Life Guard Station No.13 or anywhere along the open beach south of the Water Treatment plants.
    The City of Huntington Beach wants to be known as the Surf Fishing Capital of California go figure.

Later, LakeTuna

Thanks

Just saw this. For pancake halibut try 72nd place in Long Beach. For corbina, croakers, BSP try Huntington cliffs. If you get the corbina bug bad go farther north.

Thanks

Capo <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:PlaceType>Beach</ST1:p for leopard sharks. It is just north of <ST1:place <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Doheney</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">State park</st1:PlaceType></ST1:p. There is a pay lot 1 dollar an hour or you can park out on the street for free. We have pulled in 4-5' leopards over the last 3 years. Lots of croaker, small leopards, grey sharks and bat rays. Mackerel works the best for shark on the shore. Use a 5 oz pyramid with 40 lbs spectra and 1 hook about 2’ above your sinker. Also have a shore post so you cat cast and wait for the fun to come in. We have gotten skunked about 2 out of 50 times we go.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p
    <st1:City w:st="on">San Clemente</st1:City></ST1:place> Pier for Mackerel. Squid works fine<O:p</O:p
    <O:p
    Rock fish <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pLaguna Beach</ST1:p. </st1:City>Mussels make sure you get the elastic thread to wrap them to a treble hook.<O:p</O:p

Thanks

I am going up towards Pismo this weekend. Anybody know how the surf fishing is around there and what works best.
    Three Words To Live By: Discipline, Determination & Dedication!!!!!

maxter is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal
    Thanks

Hotel Coronado, the fence at the No Island, Crystal Pier, Capri Hotel, Blacks at dawn, Leopard sharks at Scripps pier. All beaches get hot once in while, but these are consistent. Now I live in Prescott-no beach.

Thanks

San Onofre and even Laguna by the pier there are flats that you can get Halibut from the surf.

Thanks

Hi ,
    Been trying the surf myself with a flyrod. My son has been doing a killer job on Spot Fin Croaker. Check out this site in the socal salt section he is Bowler read his reports, plus you can find places to go.

Fishing Network Message Boards

Good Luck
    Robert
    Last edited by boutdoors4; 08-07-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks

Default I'll take ya

If you drop into So. OC I have a spot near Dana pt. Harbor that's great for big sharks and rays...lots of fun at dusk on the high tide. There's at least one monster that has spooled me twice on 40lb test with 18lbs of drag and no, it wasn't a bat ray. There are big bats there but this is something different. Got 65lb spctra on the surf gear for the next showdown. You bring the frozen squid, I got the rest.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalguns View Post
    Capo <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:PlaceType>Beach for leopard sharks. It is just north of <ST1:place w:st="on" <st1:PlaceName>Doheney</ST1:place> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">State park</st1:PlaceType>
    <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p< font>
    <O:p< font O:p<><O:p< font><st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pLaguna st1:City < ST1:p. Beach<><O:p< font O:p<>

Correction: Capo <st1:PlaceType alt="" 0? w:st=" border="></st1:PlaceType>Beach for leopard sharks. It is just SOUTH of <ST1:place w:st="on" <st1:PlaceName>Doheney</ST1:place> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">State park</st1:PlaceType>
    </O:p<></ST1:pLaguna></st1:City>
    </O:p<>
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.