How To Post Your Pics In The Forum Here

How Do I Get My Pics Into Digital Files?

You can scan your own pics with a scanner or have your film developer put the pics on floppy disks or CD-ROMs for a small fee and the load them onto your computer hard drive. If you use a scanner, set the scan to 72 dpi for Internet pics. You can use a higher dpi setting like 300 dpi for printing pics.

How Do I Post My Pics In The JHO Forum Here?

There are 2 ways to post your pics in the JHO forum here.

The 1st Way To Post Pics Here

The first way to post pics is you can load your own pics from your computer hard drive directly to the forum here.

If you'll look under the post or reply box you'll now see a box called "File Attachments". You can attach a .jpg, .png or .gif image file from your computer hard drive by using the "Browse" button to find it for you on your computer. Sorry, .bmp image files do not work in attaching. The file limit for attaching to your post is 150k. You can find out how big your file is by right clicking on the file and looking under "Properties" and the size will be listed.

We are going to ask that if anyone does attach a pic they keep it under 640 pixels wide in size so as not to make the page to wide for all users. You can use any of the many free image editing software to resize your pics if they are too big. If the pic is wider than 640 pixels the pic will be deleted by a mod or admin.

If you have multiple files to post you'll have to add them under a new reply, only 1 file can be attached per post. After you post your attachment you can go back and edit it or delete it if you need to.

You can also attach a text, document or .pdf file so that others can download it here.

The 2nd Way To Post Pics Here.

The second way to post pics on the forum here is once you get the pics into digital files, you need to store them somewhere on a server on the Internet so they will appear on the forum here.

Where Can I Store My Pics On The Internet?

If you want your pics to show up in the forum here you can use our free pic hosting gallery here. You can also store the pics on your ISP's (Internet Service Provider), server or get your own domain name and put your pics there on your domain server.

Geocities and many of the free webpage hosts no longer allow you to post your pics outside of Geocities's domain, you'll just get a broken pic link (little box with red x), if you post Geocities pics here now.

How Big Should I Make My Pics?

Try to keep your pic files under 75k each in file size and no larger than 640 pixels wide. This will make it faster to email them to friends and they will load faster if you put them on a webpage. Only 10% of the peeps on the Internet have DSL or cable Internet connections so most of the viewers still use a modem and lots of people in the boonies have only 28k or 36k capability. Please DO NOT post huge wide pic files that are too wide for people's monitors so they have to scroll back and forth to see the whole pic. Huge murals posted here will be changed into links so people will not have to scroll by the moderators

Here are 3 free websites that will crunch your pic files down to more manageable sizes.

http://www.jpegwizard.com/

http://www.spinwave.com/crunchers.html

http://www.xnview.com/

What Is The Code To Post Pics Here?

If you already have your pics stored on a server, this forum uses a code called Invision Code for posting images. Invision code is the same as UBB code for images. Click on the gray "IMG" button at the top of any forum post/reply page to see how to add the code if you're not familiar with UBB code. When you click on the "IMG" button a window will open up for you to put the image address into. If you don't want to use the "IMG" button to insert the code for you, you can also just type the image code in manually in the post window.

HTML code is TURNED OFF and will not work here.

How Can I Test My Pics

We have a test forum to try any pic posting or link posting. If you're not sure how to post pics, please do your pic testing there and not in a regular forum. The JHP test forum is located at http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index....php?act=SF&f=55

How Can I Make My Pics Look The Best?

First you need to get your grubby hands on some kind of image editing software. Most scanners come with basic image software. Adobe's Photoshop is considered the Cadillac of pic editing with JASC's Paint Shot Pro the poor man's option.

Once you get your software you can tweak your pics to make them look the best. Some of the basic steps to do on a .jpg pic are:

1. Keep/make one high resolution copy of all your pics for future editing or for printing. You can then make a lower res copy for email or posting on the Internet. Back your pics up on a CD or other storage media.
2. Crop the pic to get rid of any unwanted items in the pic or to better accent the subject or theme.
3. Resize the pic to the size you want it. (webpage use, thumbnail etc.).
4. Use the clone stamp or paint brush to get rid of any unwanted guests in the pic like power lines, red eye or tree limbs in the pic and scratches or stains on the pic from a scanned pic.
5. Use the curve adjustment to lighten or darken areas in the pic that need it. You can use the curve adjustment with the lasso to select areas that are too dark like a face under a baseball hat to help lighten them up.
6. Boost the saturation a bit, I use about 10 to start with in Photoshop.
7. Adjust the color balance if needed, I find I have to boost the green sometimes with my digital camera pics.
8. Tweak the Brightness/Contrast to see if it helps any.
9. Use the Unsharp Mask filter to sharpen the image. I use a radius of 1.0, threshold of 0 and an amount of 100 for starters.
10. You can add a drop shadow to your pic to really make it stand out on the Internet.
11. When you save the file you'll get an info box on how much compression to use. I use the "4" setting in Photoshop which shrinks the file size (not physical size) enough without any degradation of the pic usually. One other tip on saving image files is to only use lower case in naming the file. This will save you any hassles when using the image file on a server where upper case gets renamed to lower case which will mess up your linking.

To find many tutorials on image editing, just type "image editing tips" into http://www.google.com

What's An Avatar?

It's the little image you see besides the poster's name. If you go into your profile here at the "My Controls" link at the top of any forum page you'll see the "Personal Profile" section, click on the "Edit Avatar Settings". There you can pick out an avatar (pic) from several galleries to use beside your name in every post. You can also upload your own avatar image from your computer hard drive and link to an image for your avatar if you choose.

If you want to make your own avatar (pic) to use on this forum please keep them under 150 pixels x 150 pixels in size and under 30k in total file size. The file must be a .gif file or .jpg file only. .bmp files will not work. Animated .gif files will work too.

Just remember, women, small children and dogs view this forum, no fright night shots or driver license photos to scare em off please.

Thank you for your cooperation when posting pics here. We all love to look at pics and these simple guidelines should help make pic viewing easy and enjoyable. If you have any questions not covered above feel free to contact one of the moderators or Admins for help. You can also ask in the "Computer" forum for help there.

Happy pic posting!!!

The JHO staff