Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2007 Alaska Caribou Hunt

CA, TX, WY, MT, CO, UT, AZ, NM, AL, LA, TN, AR, and
    Thanks

Thanks for the story. Really appreciate all the time and detail you provided.
    "Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken to us as soldiers who call Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemies, and establish Thy justice among men and nations. Amen."

4kie is offline Member Moving Up In The World
    Thanks

Wow! Nice to know such adventures still exist!
    Thanks for sharing!!!
    4kie

Thanks

Congrats to all four hunters. Awesome story and pics, thanks for sharing. How much meat did you end up with and how is it?

Thanks

I would love to do a trip like that at least in this life time. Great story and awsome pics Did you have any bow range shot.
    US Army Retired
    Predators Archery:Bow technician-Intructor-ProStaff
    Grim Reaper Broadheads Pro staff
    Black Gold sights

East cost to West Coast and back to East (Woburn, MA now)
    Thanks

WOW, that was one of the best hunt reports I have ever read on this site. Congrats on putting in the research and making it all happen. That is one HARDCORE hunt, big congrats to all of you.

Thanks

I feel I was there! Too cool!

Thanks

bjake21

Our Alaska adventure had a little bit of a sad ending. Since we came out of the bush a day early, we had to change our travel arrangements for our return trip. We opted to fly home that night instead of staying in Anchorage for two days to catch the next available flight. We turned our packaged meat over to Alaska Air Cargo instead of trying to take it as checked luggage at the last minute. Unfortunately, Alaska Air Cargo didn't get it on the next flight and didn't put our meat into their cooler as promised. So our meat sat for two days on the tarmac and spoiled. When I went to Ontario to pick it up, one of the packages was open and all were full of rotten meat. Fortunately, our capes and antlers made it back in better shape, but we were really disappointed with the meat. After carrying it out, managing it for several days to maintain freshness in the field and boning it out in Kotzebue, only to have it spoil. The really sad thing is Alaska Air charged us for the freight and won't even extend the courtesy of a return call.

hunter pat

On our hunt, we saw many caribou, but none were in a situation that would work for an achery hunt. It wasn't like those hunts in Quebec you see on TV where they fly you out in front of a group of migrating caribou and wait for them to cross in front of you. We had to do a lot of hiking, then spot and stalk. All of the animals we spotted were on open tundra with no cover for a close encounter. On the second day of our hunt, several hundred walked by camp, but if we would've set up an archery ambush in anticipation of this event, it would've been a long wait and probably would've been busted by the lead cows before any bulls got to us.

Thanks

Sagebrush,

I am really sorry you lost your meat, and what made it worst is that they did not take resposibilty for the lost. You should try small claims court. That really sucks. Thanks for the reply. What caliber did you all use? Thanks again I still think it was an awsome hunting story.
    US Army Retired
    Black Gold sights

Thanks

Great story for sure... I hope to do the same hunt in the near future . I'm also curious about the gear you used? What calibers were used and also what packframes were used also? Any changes to gear if you were to do this hunt again?

Thanks again for the great story... Next best thing to being there.

Thanks

Sagebrush-

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and hopefully the airlines will try to work with you. Amazing hunt and memories, thanks again for sharing.

Thanks

Bonny and I both shoot Browning A-Bolt Hunters in .270. Rob shot a custom built .300 Wetherby Mag. and BobbyG shot a Remington 700 in 7MM rem. Mag. Our A-Bolts are blued with wood stocks, so each night I would dry them out with paper towels and then wipe them down with pre-packaged gun wipes. We had no rust issues with any of them.

The camp gear was all provided by Northern Air Trophy. They gave us Cabelas tents. All of the gear they provided worked flawlessly. We all wore Cabelas Microtex camo in various patterns. The Microtex worked great. It was warm enough and dried very quickly. We had two sets of camo, so we could wear one and let the other hang to dry for a full day. We layered our clothing with Under Armor, then Microtex, then fleece and the final layer was Cabela's Rain Suede bibs and parka. We used Cabelas DuraTrax 18" rubber boots for most of the hunt. I wore leather boots one day to let my rubber boots dry out. BobbyG wore his leather boots most days and rubber ones to let his leathers dry out. Rob, Bonny and I all used Kifaru packs with the gunbearer system and cargo chair. I used to buy a new pack every year trying to find the perfect one until I bought a Kifaru. I've used this same pack for the last six years. BobbyG used a Cabelas external frame pack. It worked well for carrying meat, but he's buying a Kifaru after seeing ours in action. Rob has three different sizes of Kifaru packs, the Spike Camp (which Bonny and I also use), the Day Hunter and the Long Hunter.

I was happy with our choice of equipment and wouldn't change any of it. If I was buying a new rifle, I would buy an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker just to be on the safe side in case of really bad weather or if I ever had the chance to use it on a coastal hunt.

If anyone wants to book a trip like this, I will be happy to share more detailed information one on one to help make your trip enjoyable and successful. I did a lot of research on the gear we selected for this trip and the logisitics of getting up there and back. I actually had a very good plan for getting our meat back, but abandoned that plan with the schedule change. In retrospect, that was a poor decision, but one does have to rely on the service provders to actually do their jobs. There is no need to re-invent the wheel if you want to do this trip and you can use my plan as a basis for creating your own plan. I will emphasize that a trip like this must be well planned and executed by commited participants. There is no room for error in the Alaska bush.

Thanks

Great story and nice 'bous! congrats!

Thanks

Minor correction to my last post. Rob's arsenal of Kifaru packs includes a Late Season, not a Day Hunter. There is no such pack as a Day Hunter.

Thanks

Sagebrush,
    I probly read your hunt atleast 3 times and its as if I was there. Someday if I can find the right guys to go with I may get modivated to do a hunt.
    US Army Retired
    Black Gold sights

Thanks

Very nice story, What a hunt and with great friends is a plus. I second Huntr pat get the right group to go makes it even better.
    AKA "GATOR"
    I rule

Thanks

Sagebrush- I got about halfway through the story before I saw Matt and Julie's names. I flew in with NAT last fall for caribou out of Kotzebue. It was a heck of a nice trip and we got plenty of meat as well as horns. I'll stick some of my pictures up here with yours when I have time.

Jim

Thanks

It was a great read, Sage that the kind of hunt I was thinking about, I will have to sitdown and pick your brain, Thanks Gator
    AKA "GATOR"
    I rule

Thanks

I did a drop hunt with Matt in 2008. It is a good time, although we went through a horrible storm with about 50mph winds one night and most of the next day. As a matter of fact Matt's plane was tied down and still got rolled over and had some damage on one wing, had a considerable amount of duct tape on it when he picked us up. We also had to pack some of ours as far as 3 mi. by GPS, so it can run into a little work.

Thanks

Its been a few year since I last read your story. I still enjoy reading as if its my 1st read. Having the right people in your group makes the difference in a good team to effectively make a safe and successfull hunt. I would enjoy doing this hunt but putting together the right people.
    US Army Retired
    Black Gold sights

Thanks

Thanks for a great story. I really enjoyed reading it. Congrats to the entire party on four awesome bulls. Sounds like this trip tested you all physically and mentally. I know those kind of trips are incredibly fulfilling when it's all done. Nothing compares. However, next time you go caribou hunting will you...Do It Yourself again, or treat yourselves to an outfitted hunt? Just curious.

Thanks

DIY, the only way to go. I think a guided hunt would take away too much from the experience. I enjoy making my own decisions and living with the result, good or bad. I never want to come home from a hunt and feel like I was just a trigger man.

Thanks

All I can say envious and amazing adventure. I would do a diy trip with the right peeps.
    Last edited by Huntr Pat; 10-19-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    US Army Retired
    Black Gold sights

Thanks

Well just got around in reading your story, what a great trip and adventure. Alaska the last frontier. Nice looking bulls. The encounter with the griz worked out. I am sure that was a little nerving. Nice story. Well written and I felt like I was on the hunt. Thanks for sharing. I am planning on doing a Caribou hunt sometime soon.

Thanks

when is the next hunt. There should be a bunch of peeps interested in doing something like that. I would be interested.
    US Army Retired
    Black Gold sights

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12