Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homemade Friction Turkey Calls

Thanks

Well, I hate to disappoint anyone if they clicked on expecting to find a diagram, but I don't have one drawn just yet. ###But I will, just give me time.

Actually, I started this topic as an information gathering quest. ###I have been experimenting with different materials in an attempt to learn how to make some really good homemade friction turkey calls. ###I hope that there will be enough response from everyone as far as idea sharing.

The very first turkey (it was two, actually) that I ever called up came to a homemade friction call, though I failed to get a shot. ###I made that call out of an old piece of paneling and made the striker out of a short length of oak dowel rod. ###I chalked the paneling and burned (just until blackened - like catfish) the tip of the striker so that I could get a turkey-like sound by using the combo as a peg and slate call. ###It must have sounded good, because those turkeys came right in late in the afternoon. ###Too bad I didn't know then how good they could detect movement.

Since then, I have moved on to tube calls as my call of choice. ###But recently, my interest in friction calls returned and I have been experimenting on different types of glass and aluminum. ###I have also been looking for suitable pots for the striking surface.

Don't laugh, but my latest attempt centered around a small piece of glass mounted in the top of an empty sardine can. ###I made a baffle underneath the striking surface with another piece of glass. ###Though I can make this call yelp, suffice it to say I am not satisfied.

Now, to my point (finally!), do any of you make friction calls for yourself? ###Do you have any ideas for pots, striking surfaces, strikers, or echo chambers? ###Please share them if you don't mind.

I am always amazed at the variety of custom friction calls there are available now. ###It seems as though that whenever I think I have just seen it all, I catch glimpse of another variation of the tried and true friction calls.

You may be asking "Why make something when you can buy it for $10 -$15 and be done with it?" ###My friend, you have missed the point altogether. ###We are outdoorsmen (and outdoorswomen), we are sportsmen and we are above all things RESOURCEFUL and INDEPENDENT. ###We don't need no stinkin' store bought calls to kill a turkey!! ###

Actually, there is a lot of satisfaction in impressing others and harvesting a turkey with a homemade call. ###It makes the whole hunting experience much better.

I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Thanks

Welby,
    When I was a youngster my grandpa showed me how to make a box-type friction call using a small piece of 2x4, a 16 penny nail, some canvas, and an old whetstone.
    Using a 6" piece of 2x4, you would hollow out the center leaving about 1/2" on the sides and the front(part away from where you would hold on) and about 1" at the back. At the back you would leave a small pedastal to drive the nail in.
    You then cover all but the back 1 1/2" of the 2x4 with the canvas. Secure the canvas with tacks.
    Take the whetstone and move it across the nail towards the front of the call, kind of like you would a regular slate or glass type call.
    This thing made a wicked call. If you can explain how to post using MS Paint, I will draw it up and post it, or e-mail it to you to post. Don't expect much as far as graphic's, I'm just getting ###familiar with Paint.
    Ken

Thanks

Welby,

i have been making my own calls for about as long as i can remember....lol
    my daddy taught me how to make box and slate calls back in the early 70's with him showing me all the tricks to making em sound right.
    there is nothing better than calling up a turkey with your own handmade calls.
    the best calls i like are box calls made from holly and apple wood and i do not use any glue whatsoever as about all the ''store bought'' calls use the glue methods and believe me they will not even come close to a one piece box call carved from a solid chunk of select wood.
    i usually make myself a new call every year or so just to keep myself keen in the art of call making.
    i have busted up a lot of wood after making the call and then it not suiting me...hehehehe
    but it sure is satisfying to know that you called in a bird to take him with a homemade call made by yourself.

i did have some plans drawn up but deleted them from my computer but i will try to find the time to
    re-draw them ###to post sometime.

after almost 30 years of making my own calls i have learned many of a trick to make em right...lol
    i have never used a store bought box call ever and have no plans to...lol
    Later,

Thanks

Hello Everyone! ###Thanks for the responses thus far.

KSbowhunter, if you like, draw the diagrams on MS Paint, save them as JPG files, and then send them to me via email and I will post them for you. ###Otherwise, you can set up yourself a Photopoint.com account and post your pictures here from there. ###It's really easy to do. ###That way, you'll at least have a way of posting pictures anytime you desire.

Gundocc, you make a great point about homemade box calls. ###My Papaw still has his old box calls, carved from a solid piece of walnut. ###Now, they are more than calls, they are true treasures.

I once made a box call too. ###I carved it from one piece of red cedar. ###It had a great sound as well! ###I was very proud of it, but accidentally broke it the first time I carried it hunting. ###But, at least not before hearing an old gobbler answer it's every yelp. ###Although I didn't get that bird, that was like receiving a medal of honor in itself, having a turkey acknowledge your homemade pride with a thundering gobble.

Most often, box calls are made from cedar, walnut, or purple heart. ###What other kinds of wood, I wonder, are also suitable for a good box call? ###Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

I have made a few calls over the years but never called in a bird with them that I can remember. ###I'm anxious to see KSBowhunter's 2x4 plan and others on this thread. ###I'd like to try my hand at making some again. (I'm playing with a tube call now, thanx to Welby)

The 1st call I ever used was ho-made by an old Ozark Hillbilly. ###It was about a ###1" x 4" box with one of the long sides thinned and arc'ed up a little similiar to the rubbing side of the Lynch type box calls. ###He gave me a piece of rectangular blue chalk, about the size of a whet stone to rub the raised edge across. ###It made perfect (& easy) yelps and purrs. ###I remember at the time he said it was getting harder to find those pieces of chalk, if I could find one today, I'd try to make one of those calls again....

Tinhorn

Thanks

Here's the link folk's, let's see if it work's. It ain't pretty, but it's functional.
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1501...&p=45637971

(Edited by KsBowhunter at 2:35 pm on April 3, 2001)

(Edited by KsBowhunter at 2:37 pm on April 3, 2001)

Thanks

Here's KsBowhunter's drawing:

Thanks

KsBowhunter,

I know I did that without your permission. ###I didn't think you would mind, but if I was wrong, I am sorry, I'll make it right.

This is a neat idea. ###I will definitely give it a try as soon as I can.

KsBowhunter2 Guest

No harm no foul Welby. If I were a little sharper I could've posted the pic. I thought I did good to get the link to work, I had to do it twice.
    It's been over 15 years since I made one of these, so I'm heading to the garage to give it a go.
    One thing I didn't mention was, where the nail is at the back of the call should be a step down from the top of the box. Kind of like a staircase if you will. Top of the box, pedestal for nail, and floor of the box opening.
    The striker is a small wet-stone, but Tinhorn's mention of a flat piece of chalk, like a welder's marker might do the trick. I'll have to check it out.
    Anything's gotta sound better than me with a diaphragm.:0)

Thanks

Love homemade stuff!
    I made a copy of a call my uncle made for his son years ago. He found an old tortoise shell while out hunting. Get a thin piece of heart cedar (~3/16" thick) and position it in the bottom of the shell with about 2 or 3 inches sticking out. This is the striking surface. Use chalk and a hardwood striker (or make your own).

I'll try to get you pictures...as soon as I figure out how :-/

Got it! ###Go to the next page.

(Edited by PowDuck at 7:50 am on May 12, 2001)

Thanks

Here's the pictures I promised thanks to "Cedar n Sandy" for help with how-to.
    This is my Uncle Robert's design so I take no credit for that. I used a coat of mahogany stain on the tortoise shell and tung oil on the cedar board. "Keep the calling area free of all stains and oils."
    I have used various strikers with good results but the best seems to be the hardwood.

(Edited by PowDuck at 8:54 am on July 28, 2001)

cedar N sandy is offline Member Moving Up In The World cedar N sandy
    Thanks

See there, PowDuck, if I can....... anybody can!
    Now that is one neat looking Turkey call. I found a turtle shell this year while Turkey hunting but I just left it laying there in the leaves...... I do need to expand on my creativity. That looks like a Cody striker you are using with it. Have you been able to fool a lovesick Tom with it yet? I also have several calls that were given to me and many that I inhereted........ the sentimental value is priceless. ###

Thanks

That looks great!! How does it sound? ###You'll have to send me a .wav file and let me hear it!

Thanks

That's a good idea. I'll have to get a .wav file recorded. It DOES sound good. Haven't actually used it on a bird yet. My cousin, Bob, used his calling in my first bird this spring. For my second one, by myself, I had it out and ready...the bird simply didn't give me time to use it he came in so silent and quick. Shot him at 6:30AM! ###

Yes, that is a CODY striker in the photo. I'm working on making my own, too.

+ Reply to Thread