Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homemade deer feeder with antler trap for collecting sheds?

stanman is offline Member Moving Up In The World stanman
    Thanks

Hi all i have heard some talk lately of feeders with antler traps for collecting shed antlers .I have yet to see one and was wondering if you guys have heard of them.( i was told that there is a photo of one in this months Big Buck magazine i have yet to see it) any feedback would be good.

Stinky is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal Stinky
    Thanks

Here it is:
    http://www.antlertrap.net/
    <font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from stanman on 1:06 pm on Jan. 14, 2002
    Hi all i have heard some talk lately of feeders with antler traps for collecting shed antlers .I have yet to see one and was wondering if you guys have heard of them.( i was told that there is a photo of one in this months Big Buck magazine i have yet to see it) any feedback would be good.<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

knobby Guest

(Edited by knobby at 9:35 pm on Feb. 17, 2002)

Bald Eagle is offline No Longer A Member Kiss The Ring Bald Eagle
    Thanks

What happens to the buck if he's not ready to shed? ###I like to let nature take it's course in this matter.

After all - he's just completed his rutting season and they need some rest and solitude to help make it through the winter. ###We humans can screw up anything, can't we?

(Edited by Bald Eagle at 1:52 pm on Jan. 15, 2002)

Thanks

Is this legal? ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### Fubar

Thanks

Just a few years ago, I saw an article on this very thing in some hunting magazine....I don't remember which one though.

Anyway, this article showed how to make a homemade antler trap. ###All they did was make an upright V of wire mesh (or some kind of sturdy chicken wire). ###At the very inside point of the V, they piled some shelled corn. ###Also, the V actually had a slant to it in such a way that it actually leaned over the corn pile a little bit.

The way that it worked was like this: ###the deer would eat the corn, but the only way he can get to the corn is to stand with his head down in the V. ###Theory was that when he raised his head that his antlers would get entangled in the wire mesh and if they were ready to come off, if they were loose, they would just pull free and hang in the wire (or fall to the ground at the wire). ###The article went on to say that this was a very successful and legal method for harvesting shed antlers.

I have been thinking of trying this very thing myself. ###It does not harm the deer in any way, though it's not guaranteed to get your sheds. ###A doe could raid all the corn before the buck gets there.

You should be able to do this for about $5 in materials and bait. ###Most of us have this stuff lying around anyway.

knobby Guest

(Edited by knobby at 9:35 pm on Feb. 17, 2002)

Thanks

It would be hard for me to imagine how the deer could get hurt in the antler trap I saw in that article. ###The deer's head never goes into anything where it might get stuck. ###It's hard to explain without illustrations.

Also, although some deer do keep their antlers much longer than others, you wouldn't put this thing out except for when deer are ordinarily shedding their antlers.

Possum is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake Possum
    Thanks

sounds like I need to try this during hunting season. LOL ###Seriously, have you ever tried to get a 3+year old buck to stick his head into a feeder bucket? ###My cam says "it ain't goin to happen here in the South". ###Maybe we have smart deer? ###I have yet to get a big buck under a feeder. ###I do get them around the outskirts. ###Maybe if they had to go to the bucket it would be different?

Thanks

I hear ya, Possum.

I guess I need to mention that the antler trap I saw did not use a bucket or feeder of any kind. ###The corn (or other bait) was just piled on the ground at the inside corner of the wire V.

Thanks

I would really like to try one of these but have heard of bucks that weren't ready to shed getting caught and dying..

Thanks

I never had any luck with Feeders at all, when it comes to exceptional Deer Does and there Young, Samller Bucks 1- 2 1/2 year Olds Yes Plenty of these But large Deer that I would like to Grab a pair of sheds from. No Luck, So I guess that would make me suspicious of this ever really working, does anyone have pictures that its worked for them?

OhioBowHunter "Dan"

bradj is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake bradj
    Thanks

I read an article similar to Welby&#39;s but this one formed a W.
    I don&#39;t see how a buck you get himself stuck in this or I would find them attached to our corncrib every morning.
    QDM and scent control equal years of consitant sucess.

Support www.traps4kids.com

Thanks

I built one of these a couple years ago. It was basically a v shaped trough with a bar across the top. The theory being they stick their head in to the trough and hit their antlers on the bar, if they are loose they drop. I did manage to collect 1/2 a nice 10 pt shed, but had trouble keeping the feeder full. They other problem is it also attracted rodents and squirrels. The shed I found was only a couple days old, and the critters had already chewed it up pretty good, the other half was in good shape, I found it on the other hill.
    The truth will set you free, or get you banned!

My WebShots

+ Reply to Thread