Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deer Sucker

Thanks

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade deer suckers to use as an attractant?

Thanks

Sahall, I don't have the recipe in front of me right now, but it is essentially the same as the recipe used to make hard candy. ###If you have a cookbook with Christmas candy recipes, it should have a hard candy recipe in there.

To the best of my memory, the base for this recipe consists of corn syrup, a lot of sugar and other added flavors. ###This mixture must be boiled to a certain temperature for a short time and then poured into a mold. ###It works very well, and you can add corn or minerals to it for deer. ###One word of advice though, is to make it in small batches. ###You are asking for trouble if you try to make a lot of it at one time.

Thanks

Well, I guess I lied...in effect, I do have the recipe "here in front of me" as long as I am online.

BASIC HARD CANDY RECIPE ###(ADAPTABLE TO DEER SUCKER PROJECT)

INGREDIENTS
    3 3/4 cups white sugar
    1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
    1 cup water

DIRECTIONS
    In a large heavy saucepan combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Heat over medium high heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Stop stirring and heat until a candy thermometer reads 300 to 310 degrees F (149 to 154 degrees C). Remove from heat and stir in desired flavorings.

Pour into desired mold, for example, the small disposable aluminum baking pans you can buy to make muffins or small loaf bread. ###Let cool and harden. ###Store in an airtight container.

Make at your own risk.

+ Reply to Thread