Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: northside unit in oregon

Or/Elkster is offline Member Moving Up In The World Or/Elkster
    Thanks

got my tag this year for rifle havent decided on if i am going to get my archery tag instead anyone else get this unit want to share a little info

Thanks

I've archery hunted it before for elk but didn't have a deer tag. There were a few deer in the area I was hunting. Had I an archery deer tag, I probably would have shot a doe since I was within range of does quite a few times. Anyway, shoot me an email if you want to compare notes.
    "I'd rather have my picture taken with a herbivore than a hollywood star"

Thanks

yeah that would be awesome i found my bull for archery already so i just need to find me a buck last year i saw two 3xs but they are prolly gone by now with the cougars and last years hunters just hope to find me a good one

Thanks

Sounds good...sent you an email. I might be going next year for rifle elk since OR gave me my points this year after loosing my faxed in application...fortunately, I had saved the fax transmittal and they granted me my points...I think I'd have enough points for a few of the elk hunts there next year--interested in 2 of the 3 hunts offered...not sure which one to pick...the bull hunt or the later elk hunt...probably the first hunt.

Thanks

Unhappy

I have changed my email and forgot to change it on here so if you wouldnt mind tring it again that would be great. i too have some spots over there might help you out next year. like the good ole Thompson Creek Road.

Thanks

Sent another one....you probably know it better than me. Anyway, in my relatively short time hunting in that unit, one of the Officer family members showed me around and gave me quite a few pointers--they owned the Izzy Ranch over in the Murderer's Creek unit. The Izzy Ranch is huge...in the 10s of thousands of acres. They'd harvest 60+ bucks running hunters thru there each fall....and some gooduns...

Deer numbers are down in that unit compared to a decade or a couple of decades ago but the elk numbers have been up. The unit is managed for opportunity, not necessarily quality. I don't think it's a genuine trophy unit per se in spite of several ranches selling hunts dubbed trophy hunts claiming the occassional 30" is taken...Although, there are some nice bucks coming out of a lot of units in eastern Oregon....probably just not with the same frequency as a place like Hart Mt or The Steens.

Thanks

i dont care about trophies i like venison but yeah i saw alot of elk last year and know of a few wallows deep in the deeps just didnt see much deer

Thanks

I didn't see a whole lot of deer in the unit where I was hunting. I saw about 50 deer in 6 days worth of hunting....some of those deer were repeats since I was hunting in the same areas mostly. I think someone has a real solid chance at getting a buck during rifle season with a bit of leg work.

I think there's more deer opportunity in the transitional PJ/Blue Moutain habitat than in the more traditional Blue Mt. elk haunts. Although I hear there are some decent bucks running the ridgelines up there as well.

Anyway, it's a huge zone and I only got familiar with a section of it.....feel free to shoot me an email.

Thanks

well i cant change my email on here says i cant use it or something. no idea it is wpww8814@msn.com sorry for makin you write it three times

+ Reply to Thread